A couple of questions about the Argeneau blood bank.

Talk about the stories that got the Argeneaus where they are today.

Re: A couple of questions about the Argeneau blood bank.

Postby sin on October 4th, 2012, 12:33 pm

robke wrote:1 Is the Argeneau blood bank the only one that immortals use, or do they have competition?

2 Since the Argeneau blood bank not only provides blood for its immortal clients but also for hospitals and clinics it must have a strong need for a regular blood supply in that case does it rely soley on those donors who come in of their on free will or do they some times go out and round up donors and bring them in like bringing in cows to be milked?

Bob.

1. As far as we know and ONLY Lynsay knows for sure is the ABB is the only one the immortals use. As was pointed out in TRH when Grant had issues getting his because of an arrant worker.

2. Also from what we know the Argeneau's are into ligament business'. If they used mind control on the mortals to get them in to the blood bank, soon enough they would get a person they already had mind controlled before and they just might remember. There is no reason the blood bank(s) they have are under the AE name, just the AE umbrella.

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby susan60625 on October 4th, 2012, 2:34 pm

Thanks, sin!

See, Bob, even us old-timers have to ask questions on what we call "Canon". Don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone here will have the answers!
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby TomEC on October 5th, 2012, 7:55 pm

Interesting questions, Bob.

There might be other blood banks Lynsay hasn't mentioned. Since she's the all seeing omnipotent decider of the Argeneanu universe, it's really up to her.

As for the other question, that's kind of up to Lynsay as well. I don't think going out and mind controlling donors is something they would not do unless forced to by an emergency. These are decent people, over all, and it would be out of character. Besides, the number of immortals is so small as to be statically insignificant. The amount of blood needed to sustain them would hardly make a dent in the overall supply. This illustrates why it's so important to strictly enforce the rules that keep there numbers small.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby susan60625 on October 6th, 2012, 11:05 am

robke wrote:Yes they are decent people over all but they are not beyond using their ability to control minds when it is to their advantage. Victor used it on the furniture store manager to get him to arrange delivery of Evi's bed on the weekend which was not their normal policy and Decker used it on the grocery store clerk to get him to empty their shoping carts when they realized that had to go buy coolers and kitchen supplies and had no way of keeping the food cool while they shopped for those items. I don't think either of those situations could be considered an actual emergency.

You are right, Bob. Neither of these instances were emergencies, but they also were not in the least bit dangerous or truly immoral. In my mind, those instances were just "enhancing" those mortals actual jobs. It gets MAYBE a little more dicey when you think of the times that they "suggest" to pursuing police officers that they don't need to chase them when they are speeding, but then they avoid having to explain situations that a normal mortal would not understand, thus maintaining the secet of their existence.
susan60625

Postby TomEC on October 6th, 2012, 12:09 pm

robke wrote:I don't think the number of immortals is that insugnificant, yes it is small compared to the rest of the population but even if their numbers are less then a thousand in north america and lets say each immortal only averaged two bags which I assume are pints a day it is still a substantial amount of blood. When Abb makes deliverys it is usually by the box full, of course they have greater selection of donors to choose from since they take donations from people mortal blood banks wouldn't consider.

I guess whether or not you consider a group of under a thousand people statistically insignificant on a continent of five-hundred million is a matter of how you look at it. I just suspect that if each of those people drank their own weight in blood a day it would still be hard for them to make a noticeable dent in the overall blood supply. If I'm wrong about that, I'm still sure that an operation is large and slick as Argeneau Enterprises knows how to make sure that the needs of immortals won't cause any shortages.That, at least, is how it looks to me.

robke wrote:Yes they are decent people over all but they are not beyond using their ability to control minds when it is to their advantage. Victor used it on the furniture store manager to get him to arrange delivery of Evi's bed on the weekend which was not their normal policy and Decker used it on the grocery store clerk to get him to empty their shoping carts when they realized that had to go buy coolers and kitchen supplies and had no way of keeping the food cool while they shopped for those items. I don't think either of those situations could be considered an actual emergency.

You make a good point there. They do tend to get a little free and easy with their mind control sometimes. I wouldn't put it past them to compel donors, especially in a time of particular need. They do, after all, have leave to feed directly off mortals in emergencies. I just doubt very much that they would ever make a policy of doing something like that. However, since there's no actual mention of them doing it in the books, I'll consider them innocent until proven guilty.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby sin on October 6th, 2012, 12:47 pm

Please just remember these are FICTION not actual situations. And you can not tell me that YOU would NEVER do any of the things that have happened so far yourself. I admit I probably would compel the cop to go get a doughnut if he flashed hiss lights at me too.

Also as a side thought and my personal 0.02 if we keep pulling the stories apart and finding fault with them Lynsay may stop posting or even writing them. And as a immortal forum member of 8+ years I personally do not want that to happen. Again just my 0.02 worth.
Last edited by sin on October 6th, 2012, 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sin

Postby TomEC on October 6th, 2012, 1:15 pm

sin wrote:Please just remember these are FICTION not actual situations. And you can not tell me that YOU would NEVER do any of the things that have happened so far yourself. I admit I probably would compel the cop to go get a doughnut if he flashed hiss lights at me too.

Also as a side thought and my personal 0.02 if we keep pulling the stories apart and finding fault with them Lynsay may stop posting or even writing them. And as a immortal forum member of 8+ years I personally do not want that to happen. Again just my 0.02 worth.

Please don't be mad at us Sin. We know it's fiction, we're just having fun with it.

I doubt that Lynsay would be upset by our endless nitpicking, though I wouldn't expect her to read it all. If I were a best-selling author with a forum, and my fans nitpicked away at my books like this, I would love it. I don't think we're criticizing Lynsay. We just enjoy her stories so much that we like to talk about them as if they were real. To me, that's a real compliment.

You are right though, we're not saints so why should we require Lynsay's characters to be. I guess we just want the characters in the books we read to have a strong moral center and I personally believe that Lynsay has delivered on that one.
TomEC

Postby sin on October 6th, 2012, 1:27 pm

I am not "mad" just a little irritated. Yes Lynsay in her free time does read the posts and comments. {we love her playing games and sending us spoilers} And Terri her assistant/sister reads EVERY post. Just to make sure everyone is playing nice in Lynsay's cyber home. {which this is}

As it has been said MANY, MANY times here you can not write "tone" into your posts. But everyone can interrupt tone when they read it. If it has been an emotional day, week etc then it can be read as criticizing not "having fun" as you stated.

sin

Postby TomEC on October 6th, 2012, 2:37 pm

robke wrote:One of the things in my opinion that makes a story good especially those that step outside the bounds of normal reality is that they are believable and make sense.

This is true and asking questions and discussing these issues is a healthy thing. Any author that pays attention to such issues makes a tighter weave in the fabric of the fictional reality. This makes better books, which is good for both the author and the audience. Lynsay does a better job of that then a lot of writers out there.
TomEC

Postby susan60625 on November 21st, 2016, 8:54 am

LadyKate wrote:This isn't exactly about this book but more a world view pondering. I'm wondering how people who are not rogue but who have "dropped out of sight" by avoiding family members etc are able to manage purchasing blood from the Argeneau Blood Bank or other Immortal Blood service.

I think we need a peek into how you can order from them lol. It was rereading the Immortal who Loved me as I read a few of the latter books in preparation to fully enjoy Immortal Nights that made me ask.

How could someone, a member of a council member's family, be missing for 33 years and still keep to the laws of not biting and buying their blood? Does this mean that blood deliveries may be made to rogues because no registration is needed?

It just raised a few questions. Any opinions out there?

As we saw in The Rogue Hunter, Decker's neighbor, Grant, lived alone, was not in contact with family and still was able to purchase blood from ABB. The employees at ABB do not go around advertising who they are shipping to, just like any business keeps confidential what their customers purchase and when.

But you will also remember, in The Renegade Hunter, we see that Nicholas, who was at that point a "Rogue" got his meals "off the hoof" because he, obviously, couldn't order from ABB.
susan60625

Next

Return to Discuss the Series