Do they taste the blood?

Talk about the stories that got the Argeneaus where they are today.

Re: Do they taste the blood?

Postby susan60625 on October 15th, 2012, 1:50 pm

I think this was pretty well covered in Love Bites when Rachel had the aversion to drinking blood. The immortals really do prefer drinking "off the hoof" but because it does cause problems that could lead to their discovery, it has been outlawed in North America, except in cases of emergency or genetic problems (such as Victor and Vincent). However, the European council still allows the practice because a lot of the ancient vamps (who mostly still live there) don't want to give up the practice.

When they bite the bag, they aren't really drinking the blood. Their fangs suck the blood up like straws. They do taste the blood when they drink it out of glasses and, for most immortals, they don't think anything of it because they were raised drinking blood. New turns, such as Rachel, tend to have an aversion to the taste of straight blood, but can tolerate the taste of the drinks at places like The Nightclub. Even there, Rachel started out drinking by attaching the straws to her fangs. But by Lucern & Kate's wedding, she was able to drink the "Bloody Mary's" without a seeming problem.

The problem with the taste is also true of the edentates, who do not have fangs. Look at how much trouble Dani had when she started having to drink the blood. Even Stephanie still refers to drinking the blood as having to take medicine.

Also, you'll remember that in Love Bites, Lissiana (who had only recently switched to bagged blood because of her phobia) refered to the bagged blood as the difference between cooked meat and cold deli slices.

I hope this answers your question.
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby grlnxtdr29 on October 15th, 2012, 11:59 pm

They were Probably referring to not tasting the Bagged Blood, since the first thing they teach a new turn is that biting people is a no no, except in an emergency. I don't think you'd get the taste from the bag the way you would from a person because part of taste is from the olfactory sense (Smell), which would be contained by the bag, where as from a person you may get a hint of the taste from the scent of their skin....
grlnxtdr29

Postby TomEC on October 16th, 2012, 12:54 am

Yeah, I agree. I think smell probably plays a big part in it. Especially since immortals have an enhanced sense of smell. That and body temperature. It may be that older immortals, who remember fondly feeding off the hoof, like their food warm.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby Lynsay on October 18th, 2012, 2:10 am

If they leave their fangs imbedded in the throat they can act like a cork thanks to the shape of fangs, from small to larger. In that case, the fangs suck in the blood and the most they will taste is perhaps a drop as they release them. However, they don't have to leave the fangs in all the way. Once the jugular is punctured it will bleed for a bit until coagulants set in and stop the bleeding and the blood could leak out around the half withdrawn fangs to allow them to taste it. Besides I've always thought, though I've never touched on it in books, that the immortals' nanos must somehow assist in healing the bitee otherwise they'd continue to bleed after the immortal stops feeding, but they don't. The nanos are programmed with the mortal physiology so must be able to produce some sort of coagulant that can be sent out as the immortal withdraws their fangs, kind of like a mosquito releases saliva out of her proboscis.

Yeeah....I need sleep.

Lynsay off to bed.
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby grlnxtdr29 on October 18th, 2012, 10:23 am

again, that would be something they Actually Drank from a Glass, so would deffinetely taste it. But From the bag, I don't think they would. If so, Thomas would have Realized as soon as he Popped the Bag to his Mouth that it wasn't Straight Blood, but SEC...
grlnxtdr29

Postby grlnxtdr29 on October 18th, 2012, 11:57 am

You seem to be Missing the point. As I stated in an Earlier post, It is Possible they can get the taste From Biting a Person, But NOT from a Blood Bag, Which is what the new turns would be drinking from. You asked what the Difference would be between Biting a Person and Biting a Bag. Cold Bagged Blood wouldn't be tasted because the plastic bag would block the person from Smelling the Blood. If you can't smell it, you can't actually taste it. Yes, if you are drinking "Off the Hoof' or from a Glass, you will taste it, and since most of the Older Immortal had to Feed off the Hoof, they did develope a Liking for the taste of it, as most new turns will over time as well, should they decide to try it. But since that all new turns (With exception of Elvi) Are fed a Diet of Bagged Blood, then they are Not Required to taste it Unless they want to.
grlnxtdr29

Postby Lynsay on October 19th, 2012, 6:01 pm

robke wrote:I lean towards the idea that they taste something, if not then why the need for all those specialty bloods like sweet tooth which is a favorite of Marguerite?

Bob :)

LOL. I don't care what you lean toward, Bob, I've given the answer. However I was tired at the time, so will make it more clear. They don't have to taste when biting a mortal or a bag unless they're sloppy about it and get some at the end. They definitely can't taste when drinking from the bag. If they removed their teeth enough to let it slip around their teeth and out of the holes their fangs made, the blood would splash out all over the place and the bag would collapse. Plastic bags are not stable.

And they do drink it out of cups rather than just down it in bags when they have the time IF THEY PREFER IT which some of the older born immortals might. It is served in glasses not bags at the immortal bar. That is not the only place. However, most of them wouldn't drink it out of a glass in front of newbies for fear of making them uncomfortable so it isn't seen often in stories which are usually all about newbies.

Basically, newbies who were born mortal would usually avoid tasting blood and treat it like medicine. Older immortals who enjoy blood, can switch between the two options, tasting or not. For some, sweet blood is like dessert.

Hope that clears things up

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby Denise on October 19th, 2012, 10:09 pm

As for the need for the specialty bloods, those are consumed by immortals who are drinking from a glass, not through their teeth from a bag. As Lynsay mentioned, plastic blood bags are not stable; they start spurting if punctured. I suppose you could use the end designed to be used with the I.V., though.
Denise

Postby Denise on October 19th, 2012, 10:31 pm

The only way they can get the effects of the drugs, alcohol, etc, is to consume the blood of mortals who were on them. Otherwise, the nanos eliminate the impurities before it hits their own bloodstream. That is how some immortals become drunks, like Jean Claude and ... William, was it? Armand's brother in law?

As for the sweet ones, it seems to be the taste some like.
Denise

Postby MsKitty on October 19th, 2012, 10:45 pm

Denise wrote:As for the need for the specialty bloods, those are consumed by immortals who are drinking from a glass, not through their teeth from a bag. As Lynsay mentioned, plastic blood bags are not stable; they start spurting if punctured. I suppose you could use the end designed to be used with the I.V., though.

That would be cool Denise! They could use 2 bags that way! (one fang in each plug in bit!) lol.. If the blood was really cold do you think they'd get brain freeze? :lol:
Ms Kitty - AEA Sister & Australian Council Enforcer Contact
MsKitty

Next

Return to Discuss the Series