Argeneau books on audiobook

Talk about the stories that got the Argeneaus where they are today.

Re: Argeneau books on audiobook

Postby ~Linda~ on November 5th, 2009, 7:50 pm

Copper wrote:where where where

Cooper I got mine off of Audible.com here in the US. I thing Mr Spice posted this somewhere, but just in case you didnt see it http://www.audible.co.uk
The world is so Backasswards
It makes me wish I was
DYSLEXIC!
~Linda~

Postby Copper on November 11th, 2009, 6:31 pm

i know its a strange thing to say but its strange hearing the books being read in an american accent being in my head for all this time it just doent really seem right oh well i love it anyway
AEA Sister European Council/enforcer contact
The Sisterhood of the Travelling Fangs
Copper

Postby Denise on November 12th, 2009, 3:18 am

Yeah, but I guess it would be hard to tell a Canadian accent from a US one, depending on the origin. It's sometimes very difficult to tell whether someone is Canadian or not just by listening to them.
Denise

Postby Mr Spice on November 12th, 2009, 10:42 am

Denise wrote:Yeah, but I guess it would be hard to tell a Canadian accent from a US one, depending on the origin. It's sometimes very difficult to tell whether someone is Canadian or not just by listening to them.

As someone who speaks British English I find it's easy to differentiate the general Canadian accent from any American accents. Some of the vowels - particularly the combination of ou - are instantly recognisable as being unique to Canada. As is the almost inevitable eh! that terminates so many sentences.
"A heavy snowfall,
They are just about to close
The great gate of the barrier"

Yosa Buson (1716-1783)
Mr Spice
Site Admin

Postby Copper on November 12th, 2009, 11:48 am

oh i wasnt thinkin of it that way i meant when i read the books its in a scotish accent and now i hear it in american very strange
AEA Sister European Council/enforcer contact
The Sisterhood of the Travelling Fangs
Copper

Postby Mr Spice on November 12th, 2009, 1:15 pm

I'm sure we're not very far away from the generation of iPods/music players that willl have a programme that allows you to change the narrator's accent. Hang in there, copper, it won't be long before the McArgeneaus are speaking to you in your native tongue.
"A heavy snowfall,
They are just about to close
The great gate of the barrier"

Yosa Buson (1716-1783)
Mr Spice
Site Admin

Postby Mabel48 on November 12th, 2009, 8:43 pm

I'd just gotten use to the way they were saying Lucian in 'Bite Me if You Can', 'cause that's not how I had been saying it in my head, but then the lady reading "A Quick Bite" was saying it the way I always thought it should be pronounced. :o Once I got used to to it I liked 'Bite Me if You Can' better.
Mabel48
Mabel48

Postby Denise on November 12th, 2009, 11:47 pm

Copper, that's funny. I never thought about it from that angle. I keep forgetting that you're Scottish. I just read the text and never think about where everyone is from.

Mr. Spice, I'm thinking of the only Canadians I ever hear and they are actors, most of whom when I find out they are Canadian I think "Huh, I didn't know they were Canadian."

I've still got to use my free Audible points and download the audiobooks.
Denise

Postby lynnzerben on November 18th, 2009, 12:33 am

Ok let me start out by saying that a lest half of the "music" on my ipod are audio books. Also I agree with Mable48 about the Amelia Peabody series with Barbara Rosenblat narrating, (I have 8 of the books in audio format all with BR narrating)
The narrator they got for TAV, ABTR,and AQB is just horrible. I listened to the sample and said no way! She has this wierd breathy flat voice and pauses at weird times. It's sad because I love these books and I love audio books, but this narrator would just ruin them for me if I listened to the whole thing. The guy who narrates BMIYC does a pretty good job through.
The thing to remember with audio books is the same thing to remember with movies. When you read a book, you picture it a certain way. Everyone sees it, or hears it, differently. So when the movie or audio book comes out its going to be different then whats in your head. But that doesn't mean it still can't be good. Just different.
Still waters run deep

Good Girl Gone Vampire
lynnzerben

Postby wren on November 20th, 2009, 1:06 am

lynnzerben wrote:The thing to remember with audio books is the same thing to remember with movies. When you read a book, you picture it a certain way. Everyone sees it, or hears it, differently. So when the movie or audio book comes out its going to be different then whats in your head. But that doesn't mean it still can't be good. Just different.

Excellent point, lynnzerben! I've tried to explain that before to friends about books & movies. For example, I love & enjoy the Harry Potter movies...but, I had to separate them in my mind from the books. There is so much more in the books, and I'm reading it from the viewpoint of J.K. Rowling telling me a story...I see & hear it in my head my way & hopefully how she intended the books to come across. It is impossible to put everything that is in the books into the films, and I get the director's viewpoint along with the actors portrayals of the characters. The films are still fun to watch and I enjoy them...but they are different. We also own two of the Harry Potter American audio books, and Jim Dale does a fine job reading them and my family has enjoyed listening to them on long trips...but again, like you stated, it's different than reading it and seeing/hearing the characters the way you do when you are reading for yourself! That's why I prefer the printed word over TV, movies, & audio books, although I'm able to enjoy those formats. I just like reading books the best, and it always seems that I get more of the writer's viewpoint with me as the reader without someone else being in the middle interpreting the story! Hope that made sense! :lol:

Also, welcome to the best forum anywhere! Glad you have joined us & jumped in on the discussions. Please fill out the Getting To Know You Questions & also the Quirky Questions on the General Discussion subforum...you can read about most of the regulars there, and we can see what we have in common. Newbies do not stay new on this forum for long because we love having friends here...so join us in having fun, and when your friend finishes REN, please welcome her to join us, too! :D
wren

PreviousNext

Return to Discuss the Series