Immortal Ever After SPOILERS!!!

Talk about the stories that got the Argeneaus where they are today.

Re: Immortal Ever After SPOILERS!!!

Postby TomEC on March 7th, 2013, 1:09 pm

More thoughts I would like to share:

:idea: I love the fact that Lynsay, unlike so many other authors considers and discusses the implications of living for centuries or millennia in her books. There are a lot of novels out there which include some type of immortals in them; whole series in fact. Most of them barely even mention the implications. Often the main hero or heroine is some sort of action hero who, by the way, has been around for centuries or even thousands of years; and now back to the action. We can’t really know what it would be like to live that long but it’s a big deal and worthy of at least some reflection in these stories.

:idea: I knew there had to be some sort of fringe benefits to having one of my favorite authors come from the same country I do. I’ve just seen one: pop, not soda, pop. When it comes to carbonated beverages, colas, ginger ale etc. I grew up drinking pop. I realized that a large chunk of North America calls it soda and many of the novels I read reflect that but it still feels kind of good to hear that some people out there still drink what I drank growing up, pop. Dr Pepper, by the way, is my personal favorite.

:idea: I find myself with a lower opinion of Larry then Valerie seems to have. Of course, I didn’t live with him for ten years and I’m pretty sure he’s not my type, so I find myself less inclined to be so forgiving.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby susan60625 on March 7th, 2013, 4:30 pm

TomEC wrote: :idea: I knew there had to be some sort of fringe benefits to having one of my favorite authors come from the same country I do. I’ve just seen one: pop, not soda, pop. When it comes to carbonated beverages, colas, ginger ale etc. I grew up drinking pop. I realized that a large chunk of North America calls it soda and many of the novels I read reflect that but it still feels kind of good to hear that some people out there still drink what I drank growing up, pop. Dr Pepper, by the way, is my personal favorite.

Tom, I happen to be from a part of the country that refers to that beverage as pop, also. That's probably why I didn't even notice the reference. It just came naturally. From what I have seen/heard, "pop" is really a Chicago/Wisconsin thing. On the east coast, most people haven't even heard the expression, or if they have, they have to stop and do the translation in their heads.

As for the Dr. Pepper thing, well, that's as far as it goes. Never liked the stuff. Give me a good Root Beer or Pepsi (not Coke, like the old Saturday Night Live skit!), or, better yet, another Chicago/Wisconsin favorite, Green River!
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby TomEC on March 7th, 2013, 5:12 pm

susan60625 wrote:Tom, I happen to be from a part of the country that refers to that beverage as pop, also. That's probably why I didn't even notice the reference. It just came naturally. From what I have seen/heard, "pop" is really a Chicago/Wisconsin thing. On the east coast, most people haven't even heard the expression, or if they have, they have to stop and do the translation in their heads.

As for the Dr. Pepper thing, well, that's as far as it goes. Never liked the stuff. Give me a good Root Beer or Pepsi (not Coke, like the old Saturday Night Live skit!), or, better yet, another Chicago/Wisconsin favorite, Green River!

Yeah, I figure it was something like that, which is why I referred to it as "a large chunk of North America" and not "The United States." Still its a bit jarring to me every time it hear it called "soda." I do enjoy seeing my own regional differences portrayed in fiction once in a blue moon. It's kind of validating. Now all I need is to read about someone calling a hoodie a bunny-hug. It's a Saskatchewan thing.

Green River? Interesting. I'll have to give that a try if I ever find myself in your neck of the woods again. We were through there once, but I never did take a close look at what was in the gas station coolers.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby susan60625 on March 7th, 2013, 5:42 pm

TomEC wrote:
susan60625 wrote:Tom, I happen to be from a part of the country that refers to that beverage as pop, also. That's probably why I didn't even notice the reference. It just came naturally. From what I have seen/heard, "pop" is really a Chicago/Wisconsin thing. On the east coast, most people haven't even heard the expression, or if they have, they have to stop and do the translation in their heads.

Yeah, I figure it was something like that, which is why I referred to it as "a large chunk of North America" and not "The United States." Still its a bit jarring to me every time it hear it called "soda." I do enjoy seeing my own regional differences portrayed in fiction once in a blue moon. It's kind of validating. Now all I need is to read about someone calling a hoodie a bunny-hug. It's a Saskatchewan thing.

Green River? Interesting. I'll have to give that a try if I ever find myself in your neck of the woods again. We were through there once, but I never did take a close look at what was in the gas station coolers.

I know what you mean about recognizing things from your real life when reading. I think that may be one of the reasons I enjoy Chloe Neill's books so much. So many Chicago references! I DO know that's why I picked up the series in the first place!

BTW, Green River isn't found everywhere, even here in Chicago. It's kind of a dated reference! However, when I do find it, it's a MUST have. You might try looking it up on the internet to see what it looks like. It's hard to believe that something that GREEN could taste good, but it does!
susan60625

Postby grlnxtdr29 on March 7th, 2013, 8:02 pm

Sue, I've heard of Green River, but never seen it before. What does it taste like? May be visiting Chicago or Milwaukee late this Summer, and might try and find some....

Ok, weird, Just got cut off mid post....

As for the soda/pop thing, I've used both terms. Usually when I say soda, I am talking about anything that is not considered a cola. Pop is Coke or Pepsi or RC....
Last edited by grlnxtdr29 on March 7th, 2013, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grlnxtdr29

Postby MysticFan on March 11th, 2013, 1:59 pm

I have always called it pop, never soda, but a few of my family members that live in others states would always laugh at hearing us call it that. So I was a bit surprised to read the term in IEA. :)
"Life can't always be cheesecake."-Elvi Black

MysticFan

Postby TomEC on March 11th, 2013, 3:25 pm

In Canada we call it pop. If there's any part of this vast country where it's called soda, and I'm not ruling it out, I've never heard of it. It's perhaps silly of me to have made such a big deal of it in the first place but I can't help but find it interesting how we've carving up the term soda pop across this continent. Of course we could all call them soft drinks, I suppose (As opposed to "hard" alcoholic drinks). Does anyone know what they are called in England?

Okay, now I'm getting ridiculous, but I've just found this map: http://www.popvssoda.com/
Apparently, in some places they call it all "coke." Sorry Pepsi. Also the term "pop" is far more widespread in the States than the fiction I've read has lead me to believe.Well, you live and learn.
TomEC

Postby susan60625 on March 11th, 2013, 4:17 pm

grlnxtdr29 wrote:Sue, I've heard of Green River, but never seen it before. What does it taste like? May be visiting Chicago or Milwaukee late this Summer, and might try and find some....

GND, Green River is an almost fluorescent green color. It tastes similar to any lemon/lime soda but it leans more toward the lime than the lemon. Check out this website I found where you can see what it actually looks like.

http://www.greenriversoda.com/chicago/
susan60625

Postby lisa on March 12th, 2013, 9:09 pm

Here in my part of Tennessee, we call it a "coke". I have cousins, that courtesy of military brat upbringing have been known to call it a "pop" .
lisa

Postby Denise on March 15th, 2013, 4:57 pm

Okay, my take on Ambrose: I think he's lying. I think he's had time to try and come up with a "Pity me and don't blame me because I didn't know any better" story. Plan A was to eliminate anyone who may have seen the portrait. Plan B was to relay a convincing enough story that might exonerate him because no one taught him "da rules". I think he may be MUCH older than the renaisance picture implies but has been able to stay under cover. I also think his story may yet come into play since we really didn't get to see much other that his capture and what some younger vamps were able to "get out of him". Perhaps they got out of him exactly what he wanted them to get.

Loved the story.
Denise

PreviousNext

Return to Discuss the Series