more than one story from Argeneau series in one book?

Talk about the stories that got the Argeneaus where they are today.

more than one story from Argeneau series in one book?

Postby Damiana on January 5th, 2010, 3:46 pm

i liked the book with Victor because there were other characters (like DJ, the Italian vamp, Edward etc) who found their lifemates and although the main story was Victors, i liked that theirs were mentioned too ;)

they aren't that interesting of characters i guess, to have a book of their own. But interesting enough for someone to wonder what it would be like for them and their lifemates.

So i liked how Lynsay mentioned them in that book. ;)

And i wish there was more books with one main pair but with one or few secondary pairs who aren't interesting enough for a whole book about themselves but enough to take part in some book with their mate and the story of how they meet at least and so on... 8-)

Does anyone agree with me? :oops:
Damiana
 
Posts: 21
Joined: November 19th, 2009, 7:12 am
Location: Belgrade, Serbia, Europe


Re: more than one story from Argeneau series in one book?

Postby susan60625 on January 5th, 2010, 7:19 pm

Damiana wrote:i liked the book with Victor because there were other characters (like DJ, the Italian vamp, Edward etc) who found their lifemates and although the main story was Victors, i liked that theirs were mentioned too ;)

they aren't that interesting of characters i guess, to have a book of their own. But interesting enough for someone to wonder what it would be like for them and their lifemates.

So i liked how Lynsay mentioned them in that book. ;)

And i wish there was more books with one main pair but with one or few secondary pairs who aren't interesting enough for a whole book about themselves but enough to take part in some book with their mate and the story of how they meet at least and so on... 8-)

Does anyone agree with me? :oops:

I like the way you think Ana! I don't want to say too much in deference to the people who haven't read the excerpt from Tiny's story on the HarperCollins website yet and are waiting for the book next week, but I have a feeling we may be revisiting some of these "lesser" couples in the near future.

Some of the lesser characters, might be more of the enforcers. I read somewhere, in one of Lynsay's past interviews, that there was a gay couple amongst the enforcers who were supposed to appear in REN, but were cut due to space issues. It might be interesting to hear more about them.
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
User avatar
susan60625
 
Posts: 5702
Joined: April 8th, 2009, 10:33 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois


Re: more than one story from Argeneau series in one book?

Postby sin on January 5th, 2010, 9:23 pm

Sue agree..want to say more but have a feeling we will....
Image

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
User avatar
sin
 
Posts: 4637
Joined: May 6th, 2008, 6:55 pm
Location: Georgia


Re: more than one story from Argeneau series in one book?

Postby Damiana on January 6th, 2010, 7:38 am

susan60625 wrote:
Some of the lesser characters, might be more of the enforcers. I read somewhere, in one of Lynsay's past interviews, that there was a gay couple amongst the enforcers who were supposed to appear in REN, but were cut due to space issues. It might be interesting to hear more about them.


yeah, i agree. it would be nice to hear a bit about them too. i've never thought of a gay vampire couple in Lynsay Sands's world though, i'm interested to see what it would be like etc. ;)
Damiana
 
Posts: 21
Joined: November 19th, 2009, 7:12 am
Location: Belgrade, Serbia, Europe


Re: more than one story from Argeneau series in one book?

Postby lynnzerben on January 7th, 2010, 11:03 pm

Damiana wrote:
susan60625 wrote:
Some of the lesser characters, might be more of the enforcers. I read somewhere, in one of Lynsay's past interviews, that there was a gay couple amongst the enforcers who were supposed to appear in REN, but were cut due to space issues. It might be interesting to hear more about them.


yeah, i agree. it would be nice to hear a bit about them too. i've never thought of a gay vampire couple in Lynsay Sands's world though, i'm interested to see what it would be like etc. ;)

I know its a sensitive issue for some but I have wondered is a gay immortal would be able to find a life mate for them of the same gender. It would be cool to hear more about the enforcer couple. I guess there's no "don't ask don't tell" policy for them huh? ;)
Still waters run deep

Good Girl Gone Vampire
lynnzerben
 
Posts: 38
Joined: November 17th, 2009, 9:37 pm
Location: Dallas, TX


Re: more than one story from Argeneau series in one book?

Postby wren on January 9th, 2010, 8:39 pm

lynnzerben wrote:
Damiana wrote:
susan60625 wrote:
Some of the lesser characters, might be more of the enforcers. I read somewhere, in one of Lynsay's past interviews, that there was a gay couple amongst the enforcers who were supposed to appear in REN, but were cut due to space issues. It might be interesting to hear more about them.


yeah, i agree. it would be nice to hear a bit about them too. i've never thought of a gay vampire couple in Lynsay Sands's world though, i'm interested to see what it would be like etc. ;)

I know its a sensitive issue for some but I have wondered is a gay immortal would be able to find a life mate for them of the same gender. It would be cool to hear more about the enforcer couple. I guess there's no "don't ask don't tell" policy for them huh? ;)


I politely disagree. I also have not read or heard of the gay couple who were supposed to appear in REN, although I haven't had the opportunity to participate in some of the recent interviews/contests on other websites. I have had many gay/lesbian friends, some in very long-term relationships with their partners. The issue of same-sex relationships is not one of discrimination for me. It's not for me to be the one to judge, so I don't, although same-sex relationships are against my personal religious beliefs. I love my friends regardless of their sexual-orientation or lifestyle, even if I don't agree with them. We see more gay & lesbian couples in public than in the past, and the issue of same-sex civil unions or marriage is regularly in the news. If I want to read about real-life issues or things that are in the news, I'll read the newspaper or other types of non-fiction or fiction.

I think that Lynsay is the most talented author in her genre. I read all of her romances, both paranormal & historical...her amazing ability as a storyteller of funny romances is why I'm a devoted reader of her books and why I promote her to everyone I know, and even in my facebook status. When it comes to what I read, I highly doubt that I'd find same-sex life mates to be romantic or as amusing, although Lynsay can make anything funny. I'm told that many straight women find same-sex relationships romantic or interesting to read, but I don't want my Immortals to be same-sex life mates. Yes, I know the Argeneaus are really Lynsay's Immortals and she can write whatever she wishes! 8-) I just don't believe I could have fallen 'in love' with the character of Vincent if his life mate was Jack instead of Jackie. The idea of Lucian with a male Lee instead of a female Leigh life mate just doesn't light the fires of romance for me, either! I like the fact that Mortimer's 'Sam' is short for Samantha, and that Nicholas' 'Jo' is short for Josephine, and that our other Willan girl, Alex, is Alexandra and will be the life mate of Martine's son, Cale. I'm glad Bastien is with Terri instead of Terrance. There, I said it! I may sound like a child stamping my foot & having a temper-tantrum, but I'm just telling you how I feel about it. :lol:

I have no idea how the other forum "Immortals" feel about this issue, but I'm speaking up now. There are many writers who are writing books with same-sex couples, including those who write paranormal books, and they are available for those who want to read them. I read light funny romances such as Lynsay writes because of the romance and comedy and the fact that they don't cross the line on political, religious, & social issues or have graphic language or hardcore sex scenes. They make me feel happy, and that's why I read them. There will be some readers who want Lynsay to have Gay Immortal couples, so the issue will continue to come up, even on our harmonious forum, but you will also have just as many readers like me who do not want Gay Immortal couples in the books. Ultimately, it will be up to Lynsay to decide what to write, and each of her readers to decide what to read.

Keep in mind that it is very hard to get 'tone' across in 'text' on a forum. I usually avoid talking about politics, religion, racial issues, sexual-orientation, and social issues on the forum because these topics can get heated and cause disharmony, and I know the forum rules. I'm simply giving you the other readers' viewpoint about same-sex life mates in the Argeneau series. Just as there seem to be several on the forum who would like to see Gay Couples in Lynsay's books and the idea is mentioned occasionally, there are others besides me on this forum who would rather not have Gay Couples in Lynsay's books.

Mr Spice, you may need to delete if it breaks forum policies, but I felt it was only fair to present the other side. :)
Image
User avatar
wren
 
Posts: 4293
Joined: May 7th, 2008, 4:55 am
Location: Mississippi USA


Re: more than one story from Argeneau series in one book?

Postby sin on January 9th, 2010, 9:38 pm

Wren I happen to agree with you.
Image

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
User avatar
sin
 
Posts: 4637
Joined: May 6th, 2008, 6:55 pm
Location: Georgia


Re: more than one story from Argeneau series in one book?

Postby susan60625 on January 9th, 2010, 9:48 pm

Wren, I'm sorry if you took my statement to mean that I wanted to explore the relationship of a gay immortal couple. I just thought they would make interesting background characters. I wouldn't mind if they were in a story in the same way that the other three immortals were in TAV. We never saw them actually getting together with lifemates, but they participated in the story.

I used to work in the fashion buying office of a former major retailer and there I met many gay individuals. I always respected them, and their lifestyle never influenced my opinion of them. They lived their lives and I lived mine. But we were (and still are, with some) friends.

I, too, prefer to read about heterosexual relationships. The other series of books I read (Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series) has a main character that many of the readers would like to see have a lesbian relationship with another character. I'm always commenting on that blog that I really hope that it doesn't happen and that when the main character finally settles down, that she do so with a male character. I just don't specify the species of male character she should end up with. (In her books, Kim Harrison writes about witches, werewolves, vampires, and many other species.)
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
User avatar
susan60625
 
Posts: 5702
Joined: April 8th, 2009, 10:33 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois


Re: more than one story from Argeneau series in one book?

Postby Lynsay on January 9th, 2010, 10:13 pm

I shall answer here. Wren, I have gay friends too. In fact I have had several over the years, although, oddly enough they have all been gay males and not female couples. Not sure why.

Anyway, while I have gay friends, I am not gay myself and would be extremely uncomfortable trying to write a gay sex scene. I have to feel what the characters are feeling to be able to translate it so that the reader feels it as well and I just don't find women sexually attractive and I also don't really know how a man feels or what he experiences sexually even with a woman let alone a man which is why the sex scenes are almost always from the female character's perspective. It's just not in me, so I couldn't write a believable romance about a gay lead couple in one of my books. However, they may be encountered in passing or even be friends to the leads as I have experienced that.

BUT . . . . and this is a big BUT, I will not make a big deal of it. The sexual orientation of my freinds is not a big deal to me. I don't sleep with them and don't care what they do in their bedrooms and don't sit about and wonder about it or even really think about it with gay freinds any more than I do with straight friends, so my characters wouldn't either. They might wonder if Bob and Bill are a couple, or know they are, but that will be it. I am not out to make political statements or anything of that nature. People are people. Some like vanilla ice cream, others prefer chocolate, some would rather just have cheese cake and that's okay with me. I don't judge people whether it's in their career, their education or their sexual orientation. If they're good people and treat me with freindship and respect, they're all right with me and so my characters will react the same way. Well, the leads will. :lol:

Lynsay
Lynsay
User avatar
Lynsay
Site Admin
 
Posts: 992
Joined: April 14th, 2008, 3:14 pm
Location: Ontario


Re: more than one story from Argeneau series in one book?

Postby wren on January 10th, 2010, 9:57 am

Sue, I'm sorry. The issue of gay characters as leads has come up before, and whether the leads or background characters are gay or straight is not for me to say, anyway. I should have let Lynsay or Mr Spice respond and explain their position, instead of reacting to others posts, as sin said..."like you were on your boisterous soapbox being a 'reasonable woman'...(which sin considers an oxymoron to begin with)...and shaking your teacher finger at everyone as you told them how it was going to be" :oops: I hope I didn't offend anyone with my post, and ask you to forgive me if I did. I'm thankful for close friend "big sis" sin, as she will let me know in a nice but direct manner when my tone sounds like I'm being an uppity professor giving a lecture, or on my soapbox about whatever topic I'm yapping about, and she always does it without hurting my feelings. :) Whether she agrees or doesn't agree with what I have posted, she will tell me how the 'tone' comes across. It's good to have a friend that can do that, because I know that I don't always accept "constructive criticism" for lack of a better description, in a good way. ;)

Lynsay, thank you for your reply. I also apologize to you. Someone posted that this can be a sensitive issue which is true, so if I had personal concerns, I should have emailed you with my questions. I also should have waited as I normally would for you or Dave to reply. It sounds like for you it would be about the same as writing a story for C.K., a character that everyone was interested in and kept asking for, but who was based on a real person that you were friends/coworkers with. He remains a side-character and always will, because you said you know too much about his real life, and you wouldn't be comfortable writing about him having a life mate or his sex life.

Lynsay wrote:BUT . . . . and this is a big BUT, I will not make a big deal of it. The sexual orientation of my freinds is not a big deal to me. I don't sleep with them and don't care what they do in their bedrooms and don't sit about and wonder about it or even really think about it with gay freinds any more than I do with straight friends, so my characters wouldn't either. They might wonder if Bob and Bill are a couple, or know they are, but that will be it. I am not out to make political statements or anything of that nature. People are people. Some like vanilla ice cream, others prefer chocolate, some would rather just have cheese cake and that's okay with me. I don't judge people whether it's in their career, their education or their sexual orientation. If they're good people and treat me with freindship and respect, they're all right with me and so my characters will react the same way. Well, the leads will. :lol:


I very much appreciated this part of your post. I have read some romance books, historicals & paranormals, that did have a gay couple as a side couple, and they were depicted in stereotypical & caricature ways, not like real people with feelings, which I find offensive and sad. I have read & dropped some authors whose books include gay characters, but the plots of the books are often very dark, and whether about the straight or gay couples or multiple partners, border on being pornographic. All of my friends, straight or gay, are just regular people leading their lives, and we don't discuss what goes on in our private lives or bedrooms. I'm glad to know that any gay couples would not be humorous based on the fact they were gay, would not be written to be "politically correct" and instead anything would be just based on the fact that all people have funny things happen to them. Actually, I knew that's the way you would write anyway! :)

Since I have been ever so chatty yesterday & today, I think I'll stop now. {{hugs}} wren

Image
User avatar
wren
 
Posts: 4293
Joined: May 7th, 2008, 4:55 am
Location: Mississippi USA

Next

Return to Discuss the Series

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron