Happy Endings

Talk about the stories that got the Argeneaus where they are today.

Happy Endings

Postby TomEC on January 6th, 2011, 5:55 pm

Here I am getting on my soap box. Yes, the new guy has a big mouth.

One of the things I love about Lynsay’s books is that I know that there will be a happy ending. Not everyone seems to agree with me but I need a happy ending and Lynsay will deliver. We know, for example that, no matter how many books it takes, the Leonius clan will get theirs in the end, though I wouldn’t object to one or two of them finding some sort of redemption.

I once watched an interview with a group of authors and one of them piped up about how life sucks and as writers it was their duty to deliver that message to their readers. I remember thinking that I was never going to read any of her stuff no matter how good it was. I’ve read books that kept me turning the page until I finally reached the awful Hamlet-style ending. The last thing I do, in that instance, is hurl the darn thing across the room.

The thing is, I understand that, in the real world, there isn’t always a happy ending waiting for the virtuous. That there is no natural law waiting to punish the wicked. Sometimes bad people get away with their ill-gotten gains and there’s no justice for their victims. As much as I’d like to change that, I know it’s beyond my power. Bad things happen to good people. I don’t need the stories I read to teach me that lesson. It’s called growing up.

I do have this conviction (call me naive if you want) that being a good person and, to the extent possible, making the world better by being in it, really is a reward unto itself while being a colossal stamen is a punishment, a sort of poverty of the soul.

Be that as it may, I read to be uplifted and entertained first while being thought a lesson is a distant second. Writing a book is, ultimately, a positive act and if downer books are your thing, go for it. But as for me, I don’t care if a book is drowning in awards and accolades; if it’s a crappily-ever-after book, I don’t have time for it.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Re: Happy Endings

Postby wren on January 10th, 2011, 9:31 am

Bravo, Thomas!Image I could not have said it better!
Bring on the Happy Endings...I read for the sheer enjoyment of it! Image
wren

Postby susan60625 on January 10th, 2011, 12:15 pm

I agree with you both! I love happy endings! I've been reading a series by Kim Harrison. Her ninth book in the series is due out at the end of February and she says the series will run to 12 or 13. Things were going very well into the fifth book, when the author killed off a favorite character who we all thought was the HEA (happy ever after) for the main character. There was an outcry among the readers about this and the author has promised that she will provide a HEA for the main character by the end of the series. I certainly hope so! I've continued to read the series, but I still miss that character! I will be very disappointed if the HEA doesn't measure up to the deceased character!
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby Goober on January 10th, 2011, 12:54 pm

I totally agree, I never understand those people who like the books that are all sad and depressing. I get enough sad and depressing crap in the real world, if I wanted more I'd watch more of the news and read more of the news paper. I read FICTION to entertain me, to make me forget that my life sucks, and that debt collectors are constantly hounding me, and that thing some people refer to as a "love life" doesn't excist for me. That's why I read, not to be reminded of all the crap... crap.

*hi5 Thomas*
Peace, Love, and a yummy Immortal... or two ;)
Goober

Postby rockie on January 10th, 2011, 11:34 pm

Ditto.. I agree with yall!!
AEA Sister♥☮☆♪
Sisterhood of the Traveling Fangs♥☮☆♪
Live
.♫
⋰**
⋱♫ ..Laugh
( ``✫•♫
`✫•.¸ )
¸. ✶♫....L♥ve
( ``✫•~
rockie

Postby Denise on January 12th, 2011, 12:03 pm

Yup, yup, yup, as the little dinosaur says (I can't remember if it was Petrie, Cera or Ducky that always said that, though).

I do believe the nasties will get theirs in the end, though. Just glad that's not up to me to judge. I'd be terrible at it.
Denise

Postby MysticFan on January 14th, 2011, 4:17 am

Denise wrote:Yup, yup, yup, as the little dinosaur says (I can't remember if it was Petrie, Cera or Ducky that always said that, though).

I do believe the nasties will get theirs in the end, though. Just glad that's not up to me to judge. I'd be terrible at it.

Awww, I think it was Duckie... such a sweet lil Dino. :D
"Life can't always be cheesecake."-Elvi Black

MysticFan

Postby Lynsay on January 14th, 2011, 2:26 pm

I'm afraid I read and write for a happy ending too. Sheesh, I'd be bawling like a baby if I ended a story badly and if I do get a book that ends badly, I never read that writer again.

As you said Tom, I know life is tough, I'm living it, but I'd rather celebrate the happy moments, and there are MANY MANY of those too. We just forget them quickly in the stress of living, whereas we seem to hold onto the hurts a heck of a long time. I think we need to learn to let go of the hurts faster and hold onto the happys longer instead. But what do I know? I'm just a fiction writer. LOL.

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby MysticFan on January 14th, 2011, 4:55 pm

Lynsay wrote:I'm afraid I read and write for a happy ending too. Sheesh, I'd be bawling like a baby if I ended a story badly and if I do get a book that ends badly, I never read that writer again.

As you said Tom, I know life is tough, I'm living it, but I'd rather celebrate the happy moments, and there are MANY MANY of those too. We just forget them quickly in the stress of living, whereas we seem to hold onto the hurts a heck of a long time. I think we need to learn to let go of the hurts faster and hold onto the happys longer instead. But what do I know? I'm just a fiction writer. LOL.

Lynsay

I agree! Letting go of the hurts faster and holding onto the happys longer is a great concept. If everyone made a habit of this, I would say the world would be a lot less dreadful. However, you know, I think I need to practice what I preach... or type...lol I am by no means an indefinite grudge holder. I guess I just have a hard time getting over those hindrances’ in life. Maybe some of your goodness, Lynsay, will rub off on me.
"Life can't always be cheesecake."-Elvi Black

MysticFan

Postby Lynsay on January 14th, 2011, 10:50 pm

My goodness? Grin. Do you know how many times I've been told I'm a good woman/person? And do you know just how BORING that is? I want to be interesting and exciting and cool!!!! WAAAAHHHHHH! LOL. Sweetie, I'm not in possession of any more goodness than anyone else. But thank you. You guys are sweet.

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Next

Return to Discuss the Series