Changing with Tattoos...

Talk about the stories that got the Argeneaus where they are today.

Re: Changing with Tattoos...

Postby TomEC on January 18th, 2011, 2:21 pm

susan60625 wrote:
MysticFan wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere, or if I have overlooked it, but if so then I am sorry. Since we are on the subject of things that the nanos would reject, let me ask this question. Say someone had pins in one of their knees and a partial hip replacement. :? What would happen then? Just curious.

That has been mentioned here on the Forum, and at this point we don't have an answer from Lynsay yet. Since medicine came up with this more recently, it would have to be a situation that would only come up more recently. The only turnings of older people (that we know of), who might have this "mortal" correction would have been one of the turnings in Port Henry. Apparently Mabel didn't have any, but we don't know what happened during Mrs. Ricci's turn. Maybe this question will be answered during Teddy's turn. We'll just have to wait and see. :?

I love it when people bring up stuff like that. These questions open a virtual Pandora’s box of further questions and possibilities. What about large fillings, extensive dental reconstruction or simply missing teeth? Missing limbs? A glass eye? What if an immortal lost a limb in an accident? Would the missing parts grow back? Would internal prosthetics be pushed out of the body or replaced molecule by molecule with living tissue?

Could a person who had received an major organ transplant be turned? I suppose that person would be more likely to end up like Harper’s poor lost life mate Jenny, especially if the organ in question were the heart. I, for one, would love to see Lynsay address some of these questions in future stories.

Being able to engage in thought experiments like that, without have your family give you flack for wasting your time on such foolishness, is one reason why I think Lynsay has the best job in the world. I really envy her! :mrgreen:

I would love it if she just had a newly turned character be able to toss away his or her glasses. This would give me, personally, a vicarious thrill since I am forced to wear these stupid, stupid, stupid glasses.:geek: Statistically, it seems highly improbable that a significant proportion of her newly turned characters wouldn’t have had to wear glasses in their previous lives.

Hey, and what about baldness? I don’t suffer from that but I have friends that do.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby rockie on January 18th, 2011, 4:29 pm

You go Sue! Now that takes some serious SKILL!!!!
Now, if I would sit there and reread all the books.. So I could play the games, I would be a lot better at the games... lol... I need a life.. lol... I really need a job! :ugeek:

I know what you mean Thomas.. I have to wear glasses too! :geek: It would be nice to know if I would have to wear them if I turned! But then again.. I look really different without my glasses on.. Plus I can't see a thing without my glasses!!!
AEA Sister♥☮☆♪
Sisterhood of the Traveling Fangs♥☮☆♪
Live
.♫
⋰**
⋱♫ ..Laugh
( ``✫•♫
`✫•.¸ )
¸. ✶♫....L♥ve
( ``✫•~
rockie

Postby MysticFan on January 18th, 2011, 4:50 pm

susan60625 wrote:
MysticFan wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere, or if I have overlooked it, but if so then I am sorry. Since we are on the subject of things that the nanos would reject, let me ask this question. Say someone had pins in one of their knees and a partial hip replacement. :? What would happen then? Just curious.

That has been mentioned here on the Forum, and at this point we don't have an answer from Lynsay yet. Since medicine came up with this more recently, it would have to be a situation that would only come up more recently. The only turnings of older people (that we know of), who might have this "mortal" correction would have been one of the turnings in Port Henry. Apparently Mabel didn't have any, but we don't know what happened during Mrs. Ricci's turn. Maybe this question will be answered during Teddy's turn. We'll just have to wait and see. :?

Sue thanks for helping. The reason I ask, I was in a bad car wreck five years ago. I sustained several broken bones and injuries including my ribs, acetabulum and a fractured knee. The outcome of all that jazz made me the proud owner, well not sure about proud, of a newly constructed partial hip replacement and pins in my left knee. There was lots more damage, but I’m not boring everyone with that...lol it would be nice to see what would happen and how the nanos could repair and improve that...if possible.
"Life can't always be cheesecake."-Elvi Black

MysticFan

Postby TomEC on January 18th, 2011, 5:53 pm

MysticFan wrote:I sustained several broken bones and injuries including my ribs, acetabulum and a fractured knee. The outcome of all that jazz made me the proud owner, well not sure about proud, of a newly constructed partial hip replacement and pins in my left knee. There was lots more damage, but I’m not boring everyone with that...lol it would be nice to see what would happen and how the nanos could repair and improve that...if possible.

Lynsay is the one with the final word on that, but I would guess that, since your damage and repairs don’t involve any of the body’s key life sustaining organs in any large way, that the turn would probably be more painful and protracted but in the end the nanos would likely produce a brand new you.:) That would be my guess for what it’s worth. (Not much, I suppose) I too would love to see Lynsay include such a scenario in one of her stories.

rockie wrote:I know what you mean Thomas.. I have to wear glasses too! :geek: It would be nice to know if I would have to wear them if I turned! But then again.. I look really different without my glasses on.. Plus I can't see a thing without my glasses!!!

I think it's probably safe to say that we could throw away our glasses if turned. The need for reading glasses is age related and, though near-sightedness like mine is genetically based, vision problems of any kind are incompatible to being an effective nighttime predator.

It would be like therapy for me to see that happen in a story. 8-)
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby Goober on January 18th, 2011, 6:41 pm

susan60625 wrote:Goober, the tattoo issue was discussed in the books. In Vampire, Interrupted, when the Nottes, Marguerite and Tiny went to the Night Club in London, Tiny made a comment about G.G. being immortal. He was informed that G.G. wasn't immortal because if he was his body wouldn't allow the tattoos or piercings. Pierced ears were also discussed in Born to Bite when Lucian, Leigh, Eshe, Bricker and Armand were talking about Althea's head being found with her earrings on and then Leigh and Eshe talked about how your ears heal as soon as you take out the pierced earrings.

Oh okay, I haven't finished, Vampire, Interrupted yet. Thank you Sue <3
Peace, Love, and a yummy Immortal... or two ;)
Goober

Postby Denise on January 19th, 2011, 12:26 am

We've mentioned the missing limbs, before, too, but no definitive answer.
Denise

Postby Lynsay on January 19th, 2011, 8:36 am

With lopped off limbs on an immortal, you simply have to put the limb back against where it was removed and the nanos would repair the severing and reattach it. If you don't have the limb or it went into a tree shredder or something of the like, the nanos could probably rebuild it but it would take a long time and a heck load of blood to rebuild it. Immortals would survive, some mortals might not. Depends on how strong the heart is. Definitely eyes would be repaired and that's coming in a future story. Pins would be pushed out like bullets are and the hip, jaw, leg, elbow etc replaced. Gonna be painful though.

Lynsay, rushing to get some things answered before heading over to allow her trainer to kick her butt
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby Goober on January 19th, 2011, 1:47 pm

Thanks for taking the time to answer Lynsay, and I'm about the feel the pain of my trainer/PE Teacher. I think it's rediculous that PE is still required in College. I get it in grade school and stuff, but in College really?
Peace, Love, and a yummy Immortal... or two ;)
Goober

Postby MysticFan on January 19th, 2011, 5:04 pm

Thanks Lynsay, for clearing that up for us. Guess if I am ever presented with the opportunity of choosing nanos or no nanos and I decided to have chose them, I better decided to have lots of pain meds also...lol
"Life can't always be cheesecake."-Elvi Black

MysticFan

Postby TomEC on January 19th, 2011, 5:19 pm

Lynsay wrote:With lopped off limbs on an immortal, you simply have to put the limb back against where it was removed and the nanos would repair the severing and reattach it. If you don't have the limb or it went into a tree shredder or something of the like, the nanos could probably rebuild it but it would take a long time and a heck load of blood to rebuild it. Immortals would survive, some mortals might not. Depends on how strong the heart is. Definitely eyes would be repaired and that's coming in a future story. Pins would be pushed out like bullets are and the hip, jaw, leg, elbow etc replaced. Gonna be painful though.

Thanks Lynsay.

That makes sense. Kind of thought it would something like that. I think it's great that we can get the straight dope right from you like this and it's very kind of you that the time. We never could have done this before the internet. None of my face to face friends are interested in these kind of discussions.
TomEC

PreviousNext

Return to Discuss the Series