Finding your life mate when they are young.

Talk about the stories that got the Argeneaus where they are today.

Re: Finding your life mate when they are young.

Postby TomEC on February 5th, 2011, 1:37 pm

Denise wrote:Yeah, I'd think the immortal would step away and just keep an eye from a distance. Or maybe even set someone else to keep watch, only being alerted if there was trouble. That might even be a cool setup for a YA series. Teens who have been identified as potential lifemates and, having been told, form some kind of a protection/helping society, knowing that there are adult immortals out there keeping watch so they can be a little more bold? Maybe they receive special training because the immortals want them to have good self defense skills.

While that might be a fun idea, I suspect that if such a scenario did happen it would be incredibly rare. Given the small number of immortals and the fact that many of them have had to wait centuries to find their lifemates, it would astronomically unlikely to find two teens in such a situation much less a group of them.

I think if I were an immortal who found a potential lifemate who was still in her teens, I would back off and wait until she were old enough before ever approaching her. I know that might carry some risks, something might happen to her or she might end up engaged to her high school sweat-heart. Better to risk that then swoop in and take her freedom of choice away. The temptation to do that would be powerful but I like to think that I'm better then that and I would find it hard to be sympathetic to anyone who wasn't.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby susan60625 on February 5th, 2011, 2:14 pm

ElectricFedora wrote:I like that idea Denise. *smiles* It would make a great book idea plus it seems then Justin would have a place to put me until I hit 18 :D

ElectricFedora, you'd better be careful that Sherr doesn't hear you! She's been busy IRL lately and hasn't been here much, but she is very possessive of her man, Justin! Just check out the Justin threads and you'll see what I'm talking about! :lol:
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby ElectricFedora on February 5th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Sue - Aww, someone else is already all over Justin? *pouts* It seems like all the men that are single are taken already. :oops:
“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.” - Brian Littrell

"Idle hands are the devil's workshop." - Unknown.
ElectricFedora

Postby ElectricFedora on February 8th, 2011, 6:23 am

Sorry to double post but while rereading The Immortal Hunter yesterday I saw something that although not so happy made me think of this thread. Twenty-One. Does anyone from the way Leo walk talking think maybe he was a life mate for Stephine? I know theirs no way it could have worked out because as Jo would say hes probably already been shake and baked. But does anyone have any thoughts on this idea?
“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.” - Brian Littrell

ElectricFedora

Postby TomEC on February 8th, 2011, 4:18 pm

I think you're right Kaela. There was something going on with Twenty-One, the way he was looking at Stephanie. Usually a detail like that isn't included in a story unless it serves the plot in some way. In this case, it did serve to keep Stephanie alive long enough for her to be rescued and, of course, Twenty-One would've been reluctant to turn her because he knew she would have had only a one in three chance of coming through the turn alive and sane. I suppose you're also right that he would've been "staked and baked" so we may never know.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby ElectricFedora on February 8th, 2011, 4:49 pm

Yes, that along with at the end of the book when Leo was talking to Dani about Twenty-one.

( "Twenty-one hadn't yet turned her when i got here an hour ago." Leo muttered quietly. "oddly enough he argued with me about doing it. he seemed to want to keep her as some kind of mortal pet. he hadn't even fed on her. "...The smile faded as he added with displeasure, "and Twenty-one was moved to try to stop me. He made such a nuisance of himself that i had to send him into the next room and lock he doors to get it done without interference..." - Quoted from pages 342-343 from TIH )

I'm pretty sure he was/is her life mate. It also sparked a really interesting something I would love to see in a book but don't think I'll see because of how the books work but something like a bad guy turning a new leaf once he found his lifemate. Kinda like finding their lifemate rehabilitated them.

ElectricFedora

Postby wren on February 8th, 2011, 7:08 pm

ElectricFedora wrote:Yes, that along with at the end of the book when Leo was talking to Dani about Twenty-one.

( "Twenty-one hadn't yet turned her when i got here an hour ago." Leo muttered quietly. "oddly enough he argued with me about doing it. he seemed to want to keep her as some kind of mortal pet. he hadn't even fed on her. "...The smile faded as he added with displeasure, "and Twenty-one was moved to try to stop me. He made such a nuisance of himself that i had to send him into the next room and lock he doors to get it done without interference..." - Quoted from pages 342-343 from TIH )

I'm pretty sure he was/is her life mate. It also sparked a really interesting something I would love to see in a book but don't think I'll see because of how the books work but something like a bad guy turning a new leaf once he found his lifemate. Kinda like finding their lifemate rehabilitated them.

I don't think 21 was Stephenie's life mate, but I do think he may have been born edentate rather than no-fanger (there is always a 3 in 1 chance...sane edentate, insane no-fanger, or stillborn) & was a product of his terrible growing up years with Leo 2. He was uneducated & ignorant of decent behavior & cruelly trained to do whatever Leo 2 expected of him. I think 21 realized there was something special about Stephanie and he felt something that made him want to protect her...perhaps he could sense the special abilities she had even before she was turned. I doubt 21 knew about life mates. He may have been a potential life mate had his life been different, but Leo 2 breeds his sons simply to be an army to do his bidding. He doesn't care anything about them otherwise and doesn't want them to be happy or to be anything like sane Immortals or edentates. They are disposable to him & have no influence on him.

As for a bad guy turning a new leaf once he found his life mate, the closest we have is Nicholas & Jo in REN...even though he wasn't truly a bad guy, he was considered rogue for 50 years until he met his second life mate, who was convinced he was innocent & set out to prove it. Your concept is interesting, but it would probably depend on how "bad" is the bad guy? Is he mortal? I doubt a rogue Immortal would be given a second chance unless the circumstances were extreme, especially in the Americas. Lucian takes each case very seriously, and he will do what is needed to protect the Immortals! If the bad guy was in Europe, where the rules on biting are less strict, he might have a chance depending on what he had done. It's an interesting thought...especially if it was a mortal 'bad guy' or mortal 'bad girl' who is redeemed by an Immortal life mate. Hmmm? I can see some good twists, ElectricFedora! :)
wren

Postby TomEC on February 9th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Wren is right, it's unlikely that Twenty-one is Stephanie's life mate. He comes from a very dark place. They would be a poor match.

I personally love the idea of redemption, when a character feels shame and regret over his or her past and wants to atone for it. The idea of salvaging a whole person is very compelling. Still, even if Twenty-one were not already executed I don't think he and Stephanie could have a future together. If I were a member of the Council, no matter how repentant Twenty-one might be, I would not be able to find any grounds for mercy. Considering the horrible acts he took part in, it would be unfair to all the ones in the past who paid the ultimate price for lesser crimes to exempt him from punishment. The only redemption I could imagine for him would be if he accepted responsibility for his actions and was fully prepared to face the consequences; much the way Agnes did in BTB. If he were somehow put in a position to sacrifice himself in a noble fashion it would make a nice plot twist.

The only grounds for mercy I could see is to say that because of his upbringing he didn't have a chance. I just can't see Lucian or any member of the Council responding to that in any other way than to say "Tough luck kid. Life just isn't fair." There are a lot of criminals out there who attempt to excuse themselves by referring to their upbringing, and some of them have a point, but that doesn't exempt them from punishment nor should it. Besides when a criminal says: "I'm sorry please forgive me and, by the way, could you exempt me from punishment?" it sounds of bit self-serving.
TomEC

Postby ElectricFedora on February 9th, 2011, 3:59 pm

Oh, I think you guys miss understood. I didn't at all think he and Stephine should get together or he should be let go. The crimes he committed where horrible. I also don't think he knew what a life mate was but I think he might have been a life mate for her. He just couldn't read her and felt that emotional connection without knowing what it was. When I was talking about the idea of a bad guy turning over a new leaf I wasn't meaning him. I just meant it in a general sense of a plot I would like to see.

ElectricFedora

Postby TomEC on February 9th, 2011, 5:21 pm

ElectricFedora wrote:Oh, I think you guys miss understood. I didn't at all think he and Stephine should get together or he should be let go. The crimes he committed where horrible. I also don't think he knew what a life mate was but I think he might have been a life mate for her. He just couldn't read her and felt that emotional connection without knowing what it was. When I was talking about the idea of a bad guy turning over a new leaf I wasn't meaning him. I just meant it in a general sense of a plot I would like to see.

Yeah, I think we understood that Kaela. I didn't mean to insult your intelligence or anything. I just couldn't miss an opportunity to yammer on about a subject. Windbags like me live for that. As for the idea of a bad guy turning over a new leaf, I totally agree.
TomEC

PreviousNext

Return to Discuss the Series