Another Read Through the Series: Some Thoughts

Talk about the stories that got the Argeneaus where they are today.

Another Read Through the Series: Some Thoughts

Postby TomEC on March 26th, 2011, 11:30 pm

It's been more than a week since I finished reading the Argeneau series through from start to finish for the second time. Image Yes, I've read them all twice now, which probably doesn't sound like much to some of you (if it came down to a contest on this forum as to who was the greatest super fan I know some here would mop up the floor with me). Still it's given me a few things to think about. Thinking is one of my favorite activities. I've been accused of doing way too much of it. Here are some random thoughts that passed through my fevered brain during my second journey through the books. Image

:idea: The second time through a series is a very different experience from the first time. You come to the stories with knowledge you didn't have before and you see everything with new eyes. You give up the pleasure of wondering what's going to happen next while other things come into sharp focus. You notice things you didn't notice before.

:idea: It was interesting to see Lynsay develop the worldview in the stories further with each passing book. Some things which seem to be little known in the early books become common knowledge in the later ones. I imagine, for the sake of continuity, she would probably love to be able to go back and make a few little edits to the earlier stories. But when a book has been released into the wild there is nothing much more you can do.

:idea: I noticed what appeared to be continuity errors in some of the earlier books that I hadn't noticed the first time through. (To err is human.) I found myself coming up with explanations even as I came across them since I hate to see the illusion of the story spoiled even for a moment. It was gratifying, in later books, to see Lynsay fixing those problems herself. Even more gratifying was the fact that a number of the fixes were the very same as the ones I had dreamed up. Great minds really do think alike.

:idea: Marguerite is still my favorite fictional lady. (It frosts me that I've been leaving the e out at the end of her name in so many of my posts. Darn you cut-and-paste!)

:idea: Lucian is still my favorite male character. (What can I say, I'm a guy. We love our tough, badass Clint Eastwood types.)

:idea: I think I said it before but it bears repeating: Am I ever glad I asked to be called by my full name on this forum. In the Argeneau universe, Thomas is a great guy while Tom is Sam's horrible ex. Nuf said.

:idea: Stephanie is rising through the ranks of my favorite female characters and this on the strength of a brief appearance in one book and a short story. If there are any here who think that Lynsay should try her hand at a young adult novel I'm with ‘em.

:idea: When think of what the evil villain Leonius does for the series it reminds me of an Arab proverb: “God grants to every man in his lifetime three perfect gifts: a good horse, a good friend, and a good enemy.” We are reminded every day on the news that evil people suck in real life but they’re very useful for a good story.

:idea: When Leonius finally gets what he deserves, Dani deserves to be there and have a part in it. I also think that she and Stephanie deserve a cure for the “your baby may be crazy or dead” syndrome.

:idea: I wish Tiny had gotten his own book. I understand that Lynsay tried.

:idea: During my second read through, I was reminded that Eshe didn't turn out to be as hard as I was expecting before I read Born to Bite. Cool character though, sort of a combination of Nefertiti and Grace Jones.

:idea: I don't think Born to Bite is, strictly speaking, a romance novel. The romance within the story is a strong one but I think it's really a murder mystery. I could say something similar about some of the other books as well. Some of them are clearly pure romances while others would be just as comfortable in other genres.

:idea: I never gave much thought to Jeanne Louise through most of the series. She seemed nice but I never really learned much about her as a person. That is until the final scene in Born to Bite. Kind of got me right in the old ticker. I look forward to her story.

:idea: You can tell a lot about a person by the kind of books they write. Lynsay's wonderful sense of humour clearly comes through as does her deep love for family and the fact that she's probably a very loyal friend. I personally like that thought, as loyalty means a lot to me.

:idea: I really enjoyed that scene near the end of Hungry for You with the Willan sisters together and all immortal. Talk about a multi-book payoff. Nice going Lynsay! If I hadn't already figured it out from the forum, I would've discerned from this that you have sisters with whom you feel very close. That is in character.

:idea: I'm very much looking forward to the next book: The Reluctant Vampire. It was sad to hear what happened there. Poor Harper! Poor Jenny! Still the dramatic potential in such a situation has me rubbing my hands in anticipation. How Harper deals with the pain and guilt, I can scarcely imagine. I try to imagine what would happen if I lost Theresa that way and it just makes me shake. That's the sort of thing that might cause someone to go rogue though I personally can't believe that anyone who was truly good to the core ever went rogue. Harper's not that type. I also look forward to another visit to Port Henry and revisiting the people there and am very much looking forward to watching Stephanie play Cupid. Marguerite may have competition as a matchmaker though I'm sure she won't mind.

Keep writing ‘em Lynsay.Image

“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Re: Another Read Through the Series: Some Thoughts

Postby grlnxtdr29 on March 27th, 2011, 9:59 am

Actually, I had the opposite reaction to Jeanne Luise. The lack of history on her made me come up with several theories of my own, one of which I'm hoping Lynsay can Confirm for me in Jeanne's book. I always suspected that Jeanne is a Closet Dominatrix. The Quiet ones are the ones who usually are the Wildest :twisted: . Lynsay didn't deny it in another thread, so I am hoping this is the case.

Another charactor alot of us are speculative about is the one we've named Turner. The Mystery Immortal who turned Elvi. Alot of us have speculated on his identity. I personally think it is an as yet unknown enforcer.
grlnxtdr29

Postby TomEC on March 28th, 2011, 3:05 pm

Well, to be fair, we do know a few thing about Jeanne Louise. We know her age and family connections. If I'm remembering correctly, she's a scientist and works at the Argeneau Enterprises Labs, which makes her a pretty smart cooky. Also, as we would expect considering her family, she seems to be a sweet person. I would, however, be very surprised if she turned up waring skin-tight black latex and carrying a whip. LOL At least not if she wasn't headed for some sort of costume party.

Your all a bunch of wicked, wicked ladies. ;)
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby Denise on April 3rd, 2011, 11:33 pm

I had almost forgotten about Turner. Yes, I want to know him and hear his story!

The cool thing, Thomas, is when you find a series of books that can still keep you entertained after the 7th or 8th read through! Very few can manage that, but Lynsay's have. The Belgariad by David Eddings is another that keeps me coming back every couple of years. And now I get to enjoy that one with my son, who plans to start reading it soon. Cool!
Denise

Postby sin on April 11th, 2011, 11:00 pm

grlnxtdr29 wrote:Another charactor alot of us are speculative about is the one we've named Turner.

Actually gnd Denise is the one who dubbed him that name.

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby Lynsay on April 13th, 2011, 6:53 pm

I should probably read my books again. I swear you guys know them better than me and I write them! Ah well. Maybe this summer I shall take them to the cottage and give them a gander.

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby TomEC on April 14th, 2011, 4:59 am

Lynsay wrote:I should probably read my books again. I swear you guys know them better than me and I write them! Ah well. Maybe this summer I shall take them to the cottage and give them a gander.

Lynsay

Sounds like a great idea. They're good books. I highly recommend them. :D But there's much you can do about others knowing your books better then you. You're just the author. I think some of the folks on this forum have memorized them!

In all seriousness, I'm not the author of a bunch of books, but I still wonder: do you think going back over stuff you've written in the past and remembering what you where thinking when you wrote it might perhaps give you new ideas for the future? It could really stimulate the old creative juices. Either that or drive you crazy fighting the urge to want to go back an rewrite this or edit that. Sounds like a great time to me!
TomEC

Postby sin on April 14th, 2011, 2:01 pm

TomEC wrote:[
I think some of the folks on this forum have memorized them!

hummmm.. I do believe I resemble that remark Thomas. :twisted:
Wren & I were chatting on the phone the other night or was it vera early morn? Anywho were were playing the game at least reading them and going through the answers. I said one thing she said another..Then it turned out we was both right..Lol. When we get together either in person or on the phone we can recite most of them from memory.

Now we will have to get Harper's down pat before we get together in a couple of months.
(ducks from flying cauldron tossed by middle sis..bauhahahaha)

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby Lynsay on April 14th, 2011, 3:58 pm

Probably a little bit of both Tomas, or is it Thomas? I can't remember right now, but then I'm lucky to remember my own name today. Sheesh! Rush rush rush. Get back and everything has to be done RIGHT NOW! So nice to be home.

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby TomEC on April 14th, 2011, 6:19 pm

That’s okay Lynsay, I’m just being a smart-aleck. You don’t need to put pressure on yourself to come up with a meaningful response to posts like mine. This is your forum. Have fun and enjoy it. That's what we're here for. :D

It's Thomas but Tomas will work too. I'm a terrible speller myself.
TomEC

Next

Return to Discuss the Series