***The Reluctant Vampire Spoilers****ONLY if read the Book

Talk about the stories that got the Argeneaus where they are today.

Re: ***The Reluctant Vampire Spoilers****ONLY if read the Bo

Postby TomEC on June 22nd, 2011, 1:27 pm

Interesting discussion. I personally think that, in the end, language is simply a mode of communication. We already know what we're thinking without telling it to ourselves in our own language.We are so used to thinking to ourselves in an inner dialogue in our own language that we don't even notice that it isn't actually necessary, helpful but not necessary. Each word is the embodiment of a meaning. If we think of a word, the meaning is there in our mind also. I think it would depend on how deep one could read the mind of another person whether you would need to understand their language or not. Or maybe in many cases, though obviously not all, it's not about the words but the meaning that matters and the one doing the mind-reading supplies the language rather than the one being read. In other words, if you're reading people's minds, you know what they mean because they know what they mean.
Last edited by TomEC on June 22nd, 2011, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby orionsfaith on June 22nd, 2011, 1:39 pm

TomEC wrote:Interesting discussion. ..If we think of a word, the meaning is there in our mind also. ... In other words, if you're reading people's minds, you know what they mean because they know what they mean.

thanks :D oooooooooo good answer! that makes sense! it's hard to always wrap my mind around thinking in 'pictures' so to speak but if we were telepathic it would make sense that it could work that way
"You see? We get on famously...We could have been grand friends."
"Except for the part about me being an enforcer and you being a murderer."
"Yes. Well, no friendship is perfect."
orionsfaith

Postby Kath on June 22nd, 2011, 1:45 pm

TomEC wrote:Interesting discussion. I personally think that, in the end, language is simply a mode of communication. Each word is the embodiment of a meaning. If we think of a word, the meaning is there in our mind also. I think it would depend on how deep one could read the mind of another person whether you would need to understand their language or not. Or maybe in many cases, though obviously not all, it's not about the words but the meaning that matters and the one doing the mind-reading supplies the language rather than the one being read. In other words, if you're reading people's minds, you know what they mean because they know what they mean.

Well said Thomas. Think that was where I was going with the auto-translation and "reading" in their own language but you explained it better. :D
Kath

Postby TomEC on June 22nd, 2011, 2:05 pm

Ain't it fun to think about this stuff and try to work it out? Such a blast! :D

Now if only Lynsay would show up and straighten us all out.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby Kath on June 22nd, 2011, 5:54 pm

Yeah, LOL :lol:
Kath

Postby Kath on June 22nd, 2011, 6:21 pm

And regarding Stephanie and Lucian at the end:

When I read it, I assumed he "thought" to her to check if she could read him (perhaps with his guards in full force). But after reading this thread, I'm not so sure anymore. Starting to think, he "asked" her something he didn't want the others to know. And then got out of there quickly to act on it maybe. Or maybe so Stephanie wouldn't say more. Hmmmmm.... :? But what I wonder?

Always so stubborn to keep things to himself until or unless someone else "needs to know" and then as little a possible. Sigh, but then he wouldn't be Lucian if he didn't and we wouldn't all love him, right?

Someone (or a couple of you?) said it was that Steph could block Lucian. Hmmm...can she? When I think about it, I don't remember anyone trying to read her. Can they? I know at the end of TIH I thought perhaps Justin Bricker was her lifemate cause it seemed he couldn't read or control her. But many of you thought it was just because of the turn. And I no longer think they're lifemates. However, maybe that was a clue to something else going on. Maybe she can read everyone but NO ONE can read her cause she can also block extra easily as well?

And maybe Lucian is using this as a clue to understanding why there are those HE can't read even tho he's older? And that's why he's not sharing the info?

Unless I'm not remembering something. Can anyone remember a time when someone "read" Stephanie since her turn?
Kath

Postby Kath on June 22nd, 2011, 6:26 pm

susan60625 wrote:- Am I the only person who discovered the error on page 334?

Yeah, i caught that too. It said Dani instead of Drina. But I just auto-replaced it in my mind and moved on. It happens.
Last edited by Kath on June 22nd, 2011, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kath

Postby susan60625 on June 22nd, 2011, 6:44 pm

What I was thinking regarding the language of thoughts. My feeling has been similar to Thomas. I don't imagine myself thinking in words, per se. i think more in images, and images don't require a specific language.

Also, regarding Stephanie's comment to Lucian. In that scene, Lucian was reading everyone. He read Harper first, then Drina. Then, Stephanie came up to Drina, so I assumed Lucian was reading her next. Since he had read the other two, he understood what they were concerned about in regard to Stephanie's abilities. I felt that when he was reading her, he may have had a stray thought that Stephanie wouldn't be able to read him (which he would be arrogant enough to believe), but Stephanie did read that thought and responded to him, so that everyone could hear. That remark did actually get a small reaction out of Lucian that Drina caught (the raised eyebrow!).
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby MysticFan on June 23rd, 2011, 12:29 am

Keep up the good work everyone... I am really enjoying reading everyones thoughts and ideas. I would love so much to be able to join in on this discussion, but I just don't think that I have the brain power to actually take this jumbled mess inside my head and make it into some sort of logic that everyone can understand...lol
"Life can't always be cheesecake."-Elvi Black

MysticFan

Postby TomEC on June 23rd, 2011, 4:05 am

MysticFan wrote:Keep up the good work everyone... I am really enjoying reading everyones thoughts and ideas. I would love so much to be able to join in on this discussion, but I just don't think that I have the brain power to actually take this jumbled mess inside my head and make it into some sort of logic that everyone can understand...lol

Don't sell yourself short, Mystic. You don't come across to me as someone in any way lacking in brain power. I, for one, would love to hear you thoughts on this stuff. Besides, no one told me that being logical and understandable was a requirement. I've always assumed it was optional and proceeded accordingly. When life hands you a jumble, make jumble-ade.;)
TomEC

PreviousNext

Return to Discuss the Series