***The Reluctant Vampire Spoilers****ONLY if read the Book

Talk about the stories that got the Argeneaus where they are today.

Re: ***The Reluctant Vampire Spoilers****ONLY if read the Bo

Postby MysticFan on June 23rd, 2011, 6:11 am

LOL! Thank you, Tom! I know I have said it a few times on here, but honestly one thing that I continue to do that I absolutely hate is my second-guessing myself. I have not a clue why I do it maybe it just comes from a lack of self worth? Who know? LoL. But it really gets to me. On the other hand, I have never really looked at things from the way you explained them. Thank you, I appreciate it. Hopefully I can bargain with myself to at least loosen up a bit and have an open mind... maybe even attempt to put my thoughts out there. However, I will give fair warning, if I get to carried away everyone will just have to shut me up...lol :oops: :D
"Life can't always be cheesecake."-Elvi Black

MysticFan

Postby TomEC on June 23rd, 2011, 1:39 pm

Don't worry Mysic just let 'er rip to your heart's content. I would be a major-league hypocrite if I criticized anyone for that.

As to the self-esteem issue, I could bore everyone with a long self-indulgent rant about my own struggles there but there are only so many hours in the day. Suffice it to say there's a reason that this is the only forum I spend much time on.I don't have to tell you what a laid-back, forgiving community we have here, where we can feel free to speak our minds and not get flamed for it. This is not the place where Internet trolls get the come and hide behind anonymity in order to say nasty, mean, hateful things and that's what I love about this place. I'm very grateful to Lynsay and Terri for making it that way. Unless I've completely misread the kind of person you are, it's pretty clear that you aren't the sort that's just itching to spew out the sort of hate-speech that actually is prohibited here.

So Mystic, if you're holding back then I demand that you stop immediately. And if you're worried about saying something you'll regret later, we certainly won't hold that against you. I know that from personal experience. :oops:
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby sin on June 23rd, 2011, 1:53 pm

Mystic dear. The reason you may feel your thoughts are in a jumble is lets face it you have a toddler. I can appreciate the lack of brain power Lol. Only our dear L'der can say if we are right or wrong.

So my dear wise Mystic, lets return to our regularly scheduled program and hear your thoughts on TRV please..:)

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby TomEC on June 23rd, 2011, 2:08 pm

sin wrote:Mystic dear. The reason you may feel your thoughts are in a jumble is lets face it you have a toddler. I can appreciate the lack of brain power Lol. Only our dear L'der can say if we are right or wrong.

So my dear wise Mystic, lets return to our regularly scheduled program and hear your thoughts on TRV please..:)

Hmm. Image Wisdom in a nutshell. Let's do what she said. :D
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby MysticFan on June 23rd, 2011, 9:05 pm

Tom & Sin, thank you both so much. Your kind words and support really means a lot to me, as does this forum. I do agree with Tom about how wonderful this place is. It’s like a little piece of home but only on the web…lol I think of everyone on here as my ‘online family’ & am grateful that I was given the chance to meet each and everyone of you. I think one reason I hinder myself so much is because literally this is the only place I can go to talk about my likes and dislikes when it comes to reading and books. I have no friends, whatsoever, that read or have any interest that are similar to mine therefore I tend to keep it to myself and save it for the forum, and you guys, where I know I am understood. I have always loved learning about everything and I ADORE reading, but I am alone with that until I log in here. Everyone that I associate with just have different hobbies than I do and I guess I feel a bit outsider-ish (if that is a word…lol). Don’t get me wrong, my hubby tries hard to pay attention. He keeps up when I am on a wild rant about one of the books I am reading, but he only knows so much and I really don’t want to bore him to tears. Lol. I know that I don’t have to feel that way here, I am in great company, I guess that old habits just die hard. I will definitely take another step and do my best to jump in on the more in depth discussions, even though I may not be very well at it…lol
"Life can't always be cheesecake."-Elvi Black

MysticFan

Postby TomEC on June 24th, 2011, 4:45 am

You're doing fine, Mystic. I've enjoyed your posts. Just have fun with it. That really is the point. ;)
TomEC

Postby sin on June 24th, 2011, 8:47 am

So back on topic. Does anyone else have any thoughts, ideas, theories or speculations about TRV?

I know we have yet to hear from our resident
Princess yet :D :D

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby TomEC on June 24th, 2011, 3:17 pm

sin wrote:I know we have yet to hear from our resident Princess yet :D :D

Well, I am truly looking forward to that.

In the meantime, I have a confession to make. Skip to the last part if you want to avoid the long-winded set up.

I've always loved animals. By that I don't mean that I think they're cute or cuddly and I want to hug them. I'm not sentimental about them in that way. I love them for what they are. That means the good the bad and the ugly. I'm not talking about pets or domestic animals, though I'm fine with them. I mean wild animals, living in their natural environment, being themselves. I never cared for cartoons where animals talk because those are just animal-shaped humans. I'm not a fan of "The Lion King." You may feel different about it but that's how I feel.

Growing up I was obsessed with animals. Any TV shows or movies about animals and nature I was there. I watched “Wild Kingdom” every week. I love movies like “The Wilderness Family” in “The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams.” I devoured and sometimes literally wore out books about animals. I loved to go on hikes in wild places and still do.

My interests expanded and became more varied as I grew up but my love for nature remains. In fact, I've always fancied myself kind of a walking encyclopedia about animals. While I understood that no one can actually know everything, I took pride in it. I should've known better. I hate pride, not self-respect, not self-esteem, but pride (arrogance, hubris, conceit).Image

So here's the punch line: for all that I thought I knew about animals, I somehow missed the fact that skunks are only found in North America! I knew this to be true of black bears, pronghorn antelope, coyotes, several species of deer, big horn sheep, American bison, bald eagles, etc. I knew that cougars are only found in the Americas. I know a whole host of other miscellaneous facts about animals, their lifestyles and habits. But until I read about Drina’s encounter with the skunk in TRV, I was ignorant to that one fact about them. Well I know it now. It amazes me sometimes how knowledge can be found in the most unexpected places. Who knew that one could learn something about wild animals in a novel about vampires. Thanks Lynsay, you filled in that gap for me. I can go back to being arrogant again now that I know that in Europe they can go for walks without any danger of encountering skunks. Lucky them.
TomEC

Postby susan60625 on June 24th, 2011, 6:11 pm

You know, Thomas, I love it when you give us more background on yourself. I, also, love animals! I love going to the zoo and seeing the many, varied species of animals that they display. I can get just as fascinated by the gorgeous lions and tigers as I can with the snakes and other reptiles. I love talking to the keepers and learning little bits about the individual animals that they take care of, which is how I learned how to get one of the elephants that used to be on display here at our Lincoln Park Zoo to lift his one leg and flap his ears with just a motion and whistle!

I spent a good portion of my childhood summers deep in the woods of East Central Wisconsin. There I spent many a day catching frogs and turtles in the swamps, feeding the chipmunks, raccoons and deer straight from my hand and fishing in the lake where my uncle had two cottages. But I did learn to keep a respectful distance from the porcupines and skunks. But that was the woods.

What I wasn't prepared for, however, was to be confronted by the presence of skunks in the very large urban area of Chicago! I actually should have expected them to make their way here since we did have other creatures make their presence known - namely raccoons, opossums, coyotes, deer and cougars. But I was surprised, nonetheless, when one night, when I still lived at home with my parents, and went to park the car in the garage from the alley and discovered a great big, fluffy skunk sitting smack dab in the middle of the apron entrance to the garage. I'm grateful that I hadn't opened the automatic garage door before noticing that something was unusual. Once I saw it, I went back around the block and parked out front. At least that was a benign sighting. But it wasn't the last!

A few years later, my father woke up early to get ready for work, went into the kitchen to start the tea kettle and noticed that the dog wanted out into the yard. Still half asleep, my father opened the door and let the dog out. Unfortunately, the skunk waiting at the bottom of the steps was hoping for the cat to be let out, not the dog! The dog really just wanted to play with it, but the skunk wasn't having any of it! My father's bellow woke not only the rest of the family, but the neighbors on both sides of my parent's house! I can well imagine the miserable look that Lynsay described for Drina, because our dog had the same look!
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby TomEC on June 25th, 2011, 4:47 pm

Ah, frog catching. That brings back memories.

I too have had my share of run-ins with skunks. Unlike Drina, I've always managed to avoid getting tagged by them. I don't think they really want to waste their spray on us if they can avoid it but it sure does make them overconfident. They and porcupines make up the vast majority of roadkill I've seen on the highways. When you think you're invincible, cars hold no terrors for you.

Here's an interesting bit of trivia about skunks: Their only consistent predator is the Great Horned Owl which apparently has a poorly developed sense of smell.
TomEC

PreviousNext

Return to Discuss the Series