Much Ado About Nanos

Talk about the stories that got the Argeneaus where they are today.

Re: Much Ado About Nanos

Postby susan60625 on August 15th, 2012, 6:21 pm

Tom, the only thing I can think of was what Alessandro said when the "guys" were explaining them to Elvi in TAV. He called them "bugs". I don't know how willing I would be to have "bugs" crawling around in my system, but that's the only reference I can think of the nanos being called something else.
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby grlnxtdr29 on August 16th, 2012, 7:40 am

Sctually, the word nano does not come from the the word nanotechnology. The word nano comes from the word nanite, although I'm not certian when and where that word came into existence, or what it's orinal deffinition was...
grlnxtdr29

Postby TomEC on August 16th, 2012, 12:36 pm

grlnxtdr29 wrote:Sctually, the word nano does not come from the the word nanotechnology. The word nano comes from the word nanite, although I'm not certian when and where that word came into existence, or what it's orinal deffinition was...

Well that's an interesting way to look at it. Nanite is apparently a shortened version of nanomachine, nanobot, or other similar variations. I guess it's possible that these words could have appeared independently but everywhere I've seen them used they are simply referred to as different kinds of nanotechnology; which would mean that nanite is derived from the same ancient Greek word nános.

In any case, if the immortals derived the term nano from nanite, then they haven't been using it very long at all.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby sin on August 16th, 2012, 1:53 pm

Let us not forget that Atlantis was a very advanced culture. Those who wee born & raised there also must have kept in touch with close friends & family. As others were born & turned they were most likely told of their ancestor's roots. We know that the nano's "changed" the ancients to adapt outside of Atlantis i am guessing that they also "programmed" them with the knowledge of such. But that is just my 0.02 worth

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby TomEC on August 16th, 2012, 2:55 pm

You make some good points, Sin.

I still, though, confess to a fascination with the problem of explaining nanos, or whatever word they used back then, to a perspective lifemate five or six hundred years ago. How do you even begin to explain these things to someone who grew up in a magical universe where angels and demons were influencing everything all the time, natural laws were supernatural and the threat of witchcraft and black magic was ever present. This would have been the only worldview such a person would have ever known and the concepts of modern science would've sounded like nonsense. Getting past such barriers would have been a delicate matter indeed. Perhaps in the end it came down to a universal truth: “Love never fails.”
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby wren on August 17th, 2012, 5:16 am

Interesting.
Last edited by wren on August 17th, 2012, 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
wren

Postby wren on August 17th, 2012, 5:21 am

TomEC wrote:
Goober wrote:Speaking for myself only;
Yeah I tend to look more towards who's with whom, but I do wonder sometimes about the nanos. Like if someone got their arm taken off and they put it back would the nanos reattach it, or if not would the nanos start to try to remake an arm. If so, then how would they be able to do that?
But after reading your post it has brought up more questions for me to think about, while I re-read the books. I would love to have Lynsay give more flesh to those questions, either in here or in the future books. But I've always said I prefer her Immortals, because I can't stand "emo" people. They annoy me too much for one thing, for another it's refreshing to be able to get a different look on things.
Much like your post has done for me. :)

Thanks G. The post took a long time to write so I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D

I couldn't resist taking a stab at your question about the losing an arm. In an earlier post, Lynsay confirmed that an amputated arm would grow back. I don't really remember if she mentioned the reattachment issue. She might have. If I had to guess, I would say that probably an arm would reattach if you put it back quickly enough. I think it would have to be very quick because the nanos work fast and it wouldn't take long to get past the point of no return.

There are so many questions concerning how the nanos as well as the immortals unique abilities work. I don't suppose I even scratched the surface with the post. Because it's fiction we don't need the answers, but isn't speculation fun? Hopefully others will have thoughts on this subject as well and we'll get a chance to hash them out.

I'm really hoping Lindsay all show up and shed some light on these issues for us. I can always hope. :mrgreen:

Lynsay wrote:With lopped off limbs on an immortal, you simply have to put the limb back against where it was removed and the nanos would repair the severing and reattach it. If you don't have the limb or it went into a tree shredder or something of the like, the nanos could probably rebuild it but it would take a long time and a heck load of blood to rebuild it. Immortals would survive, some mortals might not. Depends on how strong the heart is. Definitely eyes would be repaired and that's coming in a future story. Pins would be pushed out like bullets are and the hip, jaw, leg, elbow etc replaced. Gonna be painful though.

We do know the nanos don't reattach a decapitated head...sometimes a good thing...sometimes a sad thing! :o :(
wren

Previous

Return to Discuss the Series