*SPOILERS & WINDBAGS!* History/Science/Trivia & ARGENEAUS

Talk about the stories that got the Argeneaus where they are today.

*SPOILERS & WINDBAGS!* History/Science/Trivia & ARGENEAUS

Postby wren on July 28th, 2011, 1:34 am

Image WARNING: SPOILERS & WINDBAG ALERTS!!!!

THE NATURE OF THE TOPICS IN THIS THREAD MEANS THERE WILL BE SPOILERS AND VERY LONG WINDBAG DISCUSSIONS! Image IF YOU HAVE NOT READ ALL OF THE ARGENEAU BOOKS & ANTHOLOGIES, INCLUDING ANY NEW RELEASES, PLEASE READ OR PARTICIPATE AT YOUR OWN RISK! Image

For those of us who love History (like me ~ my fave class in school and to teach :) ) or Science or other subjects and trivia and such things and/or for those who simply enjoy a bit of background trivia or like to see the poetic license or literary devices often used by authors to make a story work, here is our new thread! 8-) Personally, I love this sort or thing, though not while watching a movie with someone telling me all the inaccurate details taking place, such as why something couldn't really happen on a navy ship that way Image ...big sigh..Image well, you can see how that can ruin History and Science for anyone! :P My dear frog prince & I are both guilty of doing that with our sons in our homeschool, but we try to refrain when it's family time rather than an educational endeavor! :lol: Image

This thread is for topics that are related to the Argeneau books & characters but NOT to the facts/theory/speculation-type discussions on a specific book or character thread. Please remember that we already have individual book & character threads for those kinds of discussions. Newbies or recently turned forum Immortals, ask if you aren't sure, and an oldie-forum Immortal will direct you to the right place. :) This thread is also NOT a General Discussion thread, so it is not the place to put general subject and trivia posts unrelated to the books and characters. We have a wonderful search feature where you can find the appropriate place in the General Discussion or Games Section for subjects and trivia topics already open in those sections. Simply use a wee bit of "common sense" and you won't go wrong or get a cauldron tossed at you!

Since I've opened it in the 'Argeneau Discuss the Series' section of the forum, that means this thread is ONLY for interesting but somewhat off-topic subjects and trivia associated with The Argeneau Books or Characters, and not for Lynsay's other works. I will open a thread for the hystericals for similar type discussions on those books. I felt that this thread might get lost in the General Discussion section, so I've put it here because our off-topics need to remain related & on-topic to the Argeneau series...which means post only your somewhat off-topic thoughts on subjects and/or trivia regarding our Argeneaus & their world & how you see it relating to the books, and you'll always be on-topic in this somewhat off-topic Argeneau thread! :lol: Got it? Good!! My work is almost complete!

Because I'm a very ancient & full-of-myself Immortal who is determined to keep harmony on our beloved forum, and because I can be a very wicked & moody 'princess' & also since you are stuck with me as long as Lynsay & Terri continue to love me & keep me around in spite of my tendency to take it upon myself to do things my way & my 'charmingly-chatty' way of getting those things done, I am transferring over the entire 'History discussion' that began on a BTB thread to get us started...it is not in perfect order, but close enough for me! Image Hmmm...there are benefits to being a delusional princess!

Bwahahaha...heehee, I say that because I like saying bwahahaha! It helps you remember that I'm wren...and I'm back...little cauldron in tow! Image C'mon...make me throw it! Image

Now let the fun, for those of us who enjoy this sort of thing, begin! Image
Last edited by wren on July 28th, 2011, 11:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
wren

Re: History/Science & other topics re: The Argeneau Books

Postby wren on July 28th, 2011, 1:35 am

TomEC wrote:Well, this seemed like a good place to put this seeing that I wouldn't want anyone who hasn't read BTB to read this. Just a little interesting historical information for anyone who's interested. Of course, I haven't read through the entire forum and,for all I know, someone else might've already pointed this stuff out already but here goes anyway.

According to the book Althea died in 1798 in a hotel fire (of course, now we know it wasn't the fire that did her in). The hotel was in Toronto and everyone used the name Toronto because that's what we know it as now. At the time, it was known as York. Governor John Graves Simcoe had established it as the capital of the British colony of Upper Canada in 1793. According to Statistics Canada, in 1796 (two years before Althea died) it had a population of about 600, that is 200 soldiers manning the fort and 400 townspeople. This would explain why it was no great coincidence when Althea spotted Agnes. If the size of the town seems ridiculously small to you, consider the context: according to a census at the time, in 1806 the entire population of Upper Canada was only 70,718 and this spread over a vast area. In that setting, York would have been considered quite the metropolis and it would grow rapidly. By March 6, 1834 when it was incorporated as the City of Toronto the population was, officially, 9,250. It's grown even more since then.

TomEC wrote:I guess some people love history and some people don't.

I did the my earlier post for those who, like me, can't get enough of it. To me it's not just about dates, names and miscellaneous facts, it's history. It's the greatest sweeping epic story there is. It's about interesting people, their lives, their accomplishments, their endlessly fascinating personalities. The more I know about the times any story is set in, the richer and more enjoyable it is for me.

This, I know, is not true of everyone. I guess, Sin, you would hate watching a movie with me around.
wren

Postby wren on July 28th, 2011, 1:42 am

sin wrote:Personally I do not delve into the history of the story. Unless it is in the book itself or a historical. But that is just my 0.02

I get a "history lesson" from GWL about the movies we watch and I am like hello it is just a movie can we just watch it and enjoy it as written? Just because GWL LOVES history does not mean I do.

sin wrote:Got that right. Most of the time I can't stand it with my husband. I did my tour of history in school and I come here not to be lectured about it. If I want to know about something I will watch the history channel on it or ask my walking encyclopaedia.

It also seems from my dealings with people it is the man who has been a branch of service who likes to talk about it endlessly.
wren

Postby wren on July 28th, 2011, 1:54 am

TomEC wrote:Yeah, in person do my best to avoid boring people by talking endlessly about things they're not interested in. Which means I generally get to shut up and listen to conversations I consider incredibly dull. That's why I'm not much for parties, as a rule. Sin, you must live in a place very different from me. In my experience those of us who love history are consistently outvoted. Men around here mostly talk about sports, cars, the weather and farming. That is, if they bother to talk about anything.

I won't promise not to post about history and such, though I certainly never meant to lecture anyone. I simply take for granted that those who aren't interested won't read them.

What if I include a warning. Let's see, how about: History Windbag Alert!

sin wrote:Tom under general discussion you can always make a topic History and those interested can always read & comment away :)

TomEC wrote:Good idea. I'll remember that. Thought I like my warning idea. It has dramatic flare. :D

sin wrote:But not under a discussion about the books. Most just want to discuss the fact pertaining to the stories not get sidetracked or bogged down with other info. Usually we get a general reminder to stay on topic, hence the idea of a separate topic.

TomEC wrote:Understood. Though whether my initial post was off topic is a matter of opinion. The background I gave was directly related to the events in BTB, which is why I posted it on this thread. I thought some might enjoy it and still do. Not everyone hates history. Sorry. I value your opinion, Sin, so I hope you can be tolerant of my silly conceit.

sin wrote:Image

TomEC wrote:Hmm... I hope that's not a bad thing. Sometimes I have a hard time telling if I've gone ahead and made a fool of myself again! :oops:
wren

Postby wren on July 28th, 2011, 1:59 am

Kath wrote:Well, i don't particularly like history myself but i did find your post interesting Thomas. :?

TomEC wrote:Thanks Kath. Glad to hear it. It's just a couple paragraphs about some things I though a few folks here might enjoy... or not as the case may be. We all have our different likes and dislikes, I guess, and none of us has to apologies for that.

susan60625 wrote:Liking history is a personal thing. I've always found that when an author can weave a story (particularly a romance) around an historical event, I tend to remember more about that event. I read a book a long time ago called "Desiree". It was set in the time of Napoleon Bonaparte. I still remember more about that time because of that novel than because of anything I learned in school. So, Thomas, while I like the idea of Sin's to create a History thread under the general discussions, I hope you don't stop being curious and informing us of these things. I never would have thought to look that info up, I found it interesting.

That's one of the things I'm looking forward to in Christian's book. I'd love to find out more about his life in the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries in Italy. Every time I see a travel show or cooking show from Italy, I keep trying to figure out what Christian and the rest of the Notte's would have been like during that time. I even saw a travel show set in York, England and I kept looking for things that I could recognize from Vampire, Interrupted.

Yes, I know, I'm a nerd! :?

TomEC wrote:Yeah Susan, that's how it is for me to. :D It was the movies I watched and the stories I read that made me love history. There is nothing like a well told story to bring it all to life and prove that it's not a dry collection names, dates and facts but the living, vibrant memory of the human race; an incredible story filled with some of the most amazing characters. I think the subject is often ruined for people bad or indifferent teachers. I myself had some good ones and what a gift that was.

In BTB, history fairly hums through the narrative, almost as if it were another character in the story. Here we have a romance between two people who have seen so much of pass by. Also, we have this wonderful centuries old who-done-it, with Eshe and Armand hunting down the truth like an immortal Holmes and Watson.

Sure you obviously don’t need to love history (or like it one little bit) to appreciate these stories but it works for me.
wren

Re: *SPOILERS & WINDBAG ALERTS!* Subjects/Trivia re: Argene

Postby TomEC on July 28th, 2011, 3:43 am

Well this is an interesting approach. Does this mean I can speculate and ramble on about the history and science connected to the Argenneau books without anyone getting mad at me? Well the fact that you did this, Wren, gives me some hope that this thread won't shrivel on the vine like some of the ones I've tried to start.

wren wrote: Because I'm a very ancient & full-of-myself Immortal who is determined to keep harmony on our beloved forum,

I want that too. I hope I didn't disrupt that harmony with my earlier posts. I've had the uncomfortable feeling, since then, that I might be in Sin's doghouse. I'm sorry if I, in any way, gave offence as I really enjoy this forum and the fine people here.

wren wrote: Personally, I love this sort or thing, but not while watching a movie with someone telling me all the inaccurate details taking place :P

I hope I didn't give the impression that that is something I would do. I love good movie and hate it when people want to talk when they should be watching. Though, at other times, Theresa is kind enough to pretend to be interested when I prattle on about some subject or other. I really don't deserve her.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Re: *SPOILERS & WINDBAG ALERTS!* Subjects/Trivia re: Argene

Postby sin on July 28th, 2011, 8:11 am

Wren my dear delusional immortal princesses aiater. We were of the same mind. You must have picked up the premenation of what I was thinking in the wee hours last night/morning. EXCELLENT idea. Now like a couple of other topics I can jsut go to the last post to get rid of the blinking light without reading. <big grin>

TomEC wrote:I want that too. I hope I didn't disrupt that harmony with my earlier posts. I've had the uncomfortable feeling, since then, that I might be in Sin's doghouse. I'm sorry if I, in any way, gave offence as I really enjoy this forum and the fine people here.

Actually Tom that is "cathouse" as I do not have a dog Image

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Re: *SPOILERS & WINDBAG ALERTS!* Subjects/Trivia & Argeneau

Postby TomEC on July 28th, 2011, 1:06 pm

Cathouse? Well, as long as my wife doesn't hear about me being in one of those. She might get the wrong idea! lol
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby sin on July 28th, 2011, 1:31 pm

Even when we go out to eat, we do not ask for a doggie bag it is a kitty bag. Well I promise I wont tell her :)

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby TomEC on July 28th, 2011, 2:42 pm

Dad would never let us have a dog so it was always cats. Thus, I've always had a soft spot for them dispute the best efforts of our neighbour to cure me of that, the way Alfred Hitchcock tried to cure me of a liking for birds.
TomEC

Next

Return to Discuss the Series