****The Bite Before Christmas****ONLY if read the Book

Talk about the stories that got the Argeneaus where they are today.

Re: ****The Bite Before Christmas****ONLY if read the Book

Postby sin on December 7th, 2011, 11:01 pm

Jewelz wrote:Never really found Teddy that interesting until I read "The Gift".

I totally agree with you Jewelz. Was not sure I even wanted him turned because of his feelings for Elvi. Glad he realized that his "love" for her was not in a romantic way.

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby sin on December 7th, 2011, 11:10 pm

"orionsfaith"
A bear attack!? Noooo but YES! Lol, I was wondering if he’d be turned basically right away and was curious what the ‘accident’ would be, I was thinking something sharp, log cutting accident. Freaks me out when animals are involved b/c death can happen so easily. Man….good angle. But why would Teddy run AT the bear instead of trying to get away and into the cabin? Guess safe to assume bear was closer than door? Man, gotta love a man w/ that much courage though, think I still woulda tried for the door instead of having the bear meet me halfway!….ok I’m typing as I’m reading in case you didn’t know, I love Tricia, she keeps answering my questions.

Was wondering the samething myself.

Soooo, even though ‘extra nanos’ use up blood quicker, they also help make repairs faster right? Just a random thought/confusion. Like, it’s only bad Teddy bit Tricia if he didn’t get extra blood transfusions in time, BUT more blood from her should have sped up the turning process right? First time hear about the change taking WEEKS in some cases, didn’t really think about all the small tiny little changes, maybe that’s why it’s hard to read minds until weeks later? Thought it was just a skill to be learned, but sounds like it also has to develop over time, neat.

Remember in Love Bites the garden scene with Rachel & Etienne? Every immortal has a certain amount of nanos. To many or an influx the nanos have to use more blood to get the extera one out of their system.

…..toootally didn’t think about all of Port Henry not knowing about immortals…didn’t think the town was big enough for some not to know. Weird….
Shame he couldn’t go back as his own long lost love child.
Kinda like the sound of ‘Teddy Argeneau’.

I thought everyone there knew about them also. {{shrugs}}

sin

Postby orionsfaith on December 8th, 2011, 10:55 am

susan60625 wrote:
No, Orionsfaith. The appetizer was the excerpt from "Under the Vampire Moon"! Since Christian is my love, that tease was enough to make me drool all the way until April. I'm going to need to carry around a drool rag, like they do for Julius (the dog!). :shock: ;) :lol:

Meh, I'm a sucker for action so UVM doesn't sound like it'll be too thrilling for me, so the excerpt was more like an alcoholic smoothie to go w/ my appetizer :P When it comes to drama oriented, the more the merrier for me, so hope there's a lot of back story (like w/ Drina) and/or new characters.

sin wrote:

I totally agree with you Jewelz. Was not sure I even wanted him turned because of his feelings for Elvi. Glad he realized that his "love" for her was not in a romantic way.

I can see that, I was always rooting for him though b/c it would have sucked to have to leave him behind. Lynsay's just too good to us, not letting any of the good people die (not to give her any ideas!).

sin wrote:Okay for those who have had a chance to read the story let us commence the theorizing..:)

The story was short. Even shorter than TIny's.

Really? felt longer, prob b/c most of Tiny's was in a sewer, not cuddled up nice and warm w/ his lovely :lol: now I must go count pages... :-P

sin wrote:When Teddy had the run-in with the bear all I could think of was Dirina and the "kitty". At least she came away unharmed other than needing a tomato bath.

HA! Nice comparison. Drina probably would have preferred the more heroic ending :P

sin wrote:Wonder if they will return to Port Henry right away or if in fact Kat will be the "new" sheriff and Teddy just go as her husband?

I am most curious to she how that fairs; I'm guessing they'll stay away and enjoy each other for a while and a whole NEW character will come in as Sheriff; but of course they'll return to "help out" in the latest Port Henry crisis.

sin wrote:"orionsfaith"
…..toootally didn’t think about all of Port Henry not knowing about immortals…didn’t think the town was big enough for some not to know. Weird….
Shame he couldn’t go back as his own long lost love child.
I thought everyone there knew about them also. {{shrugs}}

Specially considering how big...Owen's(?) bday party was. But it's not too far fetched, doubt the ppl who don't know make up a huge percentage. Bet you there's that one nosey neighbor that's gonna find out and cause a whole heap of troube, just like Owen's parents and that dead girls sister! Again, just excited to see how Lynsay spins it!

sin wrote:"orionsfaith"
Soooo, even though ‘extra nanos’ use up blood quicker, they also help make repairs faster right? Just a random thought/confusion. Like, it’s only bad Teddy bit Tricia if he didn’t get extra blood transfusions in time, BUT more blood from her should have sped up the turning process right?

Remember in Love Bites the garden scene with Rachel & Etienne? Every immortal has a certain amount of nanos. To many or an influx the nanos have to use more blood to get the extera one out of their system.

Right right, but was wondering if him being in the midst/fresh out of the turn would make a tiny bit of difference in how fast his turn was...."completed". Rachel had already been turned for a few days...but if the entire process takes weeks then I guess it wouldn't matter. LOL, don't mind me, just typing out loud :P
"You see? We get on famously...We could have been grand friends."
"Except for the part about me being an enforcer and you being a murderer."
"Yes. Well, no friendship is perfect."
orionsfaith

Postby Denise on December 25th, 2011, 12:26 am

I wouldn't think it would be a problem for Teddy to go back to Port Henry. Elvi did, and the majority of the town knows about immortals. I'd think he could keep his Sherrif job and Katricia could work with him if she wanted. But I need to re-read before I make any more comments. Can hardly remember any of it because I downed it so fast.
Denise

Postby lisa on December 25th, 2011, 4:28 pm

Yes, but remember that Elvi was one of their own, and they felt guilty for sending her out into the world on a trip that changed her whole life, and in her own opinion at first( before Victor) not in a good way. Since they don't know what caused her transformation then how much do they really know about the new immortals in town?
lisa

Postby Denise on January 12th, 2012, 1:36 am

Also, DJ and Mabel are there, too, with Mabel being one of theirs who was turned.
Denise

Postby Kathleen.B on January 17th, 2012, 7:29 am

MsKitty wrote:LOL!

Just read Kat & Teddy's story :) & as I am called Kat, I totally get the ick factor of being called 'Pussy Cat, Pussy or Puss'. One person (an old Manager of mine) she called me Pussy Cat & Pussy, that was ok (just!) . I prefer Kat, Kitty, Kitty Kat & of course Ms Kitty, but OH don't call me Pussy. But if I'm called 'Kathrine' (& no, that is not a spelling mistake!) then I will crap myself because 'Kathrine' is my trouble name!

I always get call Kath or Kathy or in my uncle and sister's case Staffy (my uncle has a staffordshire bull terrier mix and got told his 'my' cousin and we look alike) my name use to call me Kitty Kat. my other sister and her boyfriend have other names for me such as Megan, Meg , Lloyd or their favourite Megloid, all after Meg griffin from family guy.

I have never been called kat or pussy cat or anything like that. i think people are scared to call me by a nickname as i insist my name is Kathleen even to family. I say 'my name is Kathleen, its on my birth certificate i should know'.
'Some people can never believe in themselves, until someone believes in them.' - Good Will Hunting
Kathleen.B

Postby TomEC on January 17th, 2012, 12:56 pm

Well it's been a while since I read Teddy’s story so I think it's about time I added my two cents worth.

sin wrote:

Yeah, I think Teddy is the kind of character that you would dismiss as uninteresting at least after having read TAV, unless you have a particular reason to identify with him. I do, so Teddy is one of my favorites. He and I have one powerful thing in common, a history of unrequited love. Of course, in my case it didn't stay unrequited forever, just a few years when I had to suck it up and not be a jerk about it and remain a good friend to the one I loved. She eventually came to return my feelings in what I consider to be one of the great miracles of my life. But then, I imagine what it would be like if I had to watch her marry someone else and have a family. I could easily picture myself loving her for decades, helplessly, from afar. That was a possible fate I had envisioned for myself during the years when the love of my life didn't return my feelings. There's no particular reason why that might not have happened had she found someone else during that time. I guess we all have our reasons for identifying particular characters. In his youth, Teddy made what must've seemed to him a terrible mistake when he said nothing to Elvi. But he went on being her good and loyal friend when a lesser man might have grown to resent, or even hate her. Teddy was no such jerk and I wanted, no needed, him to find happiness.

As such a Teddy fan, I have to say that I am disappointed that all he got was a short story. One thing this story did was reinforce the fact that he is a strong character and he could've carried a book. Oh well, Lynsay had her reasons and I'm sure, from her point of view, they were good ones. You can't please everyone.

That having been said, I really loved the story and was amazed at how much Lynsay managed to squeeze into it. I found Katricia very likable and was amused that she didn't want to be called Kat; particularly when you consider who the other story in this book is about. I doubt that Lynsay did it on purpose. Those of us who live in the chilly north can certainly relate to the problems they encountered from the cold and snow. The dramatic encounter with the bear was, I thought, well done. I didn't have any problems, myself, with Teddy's motivations for charging at the bear. He believed Katricia was in danger. Sure she was an immortal and, as such, not in that much danger but he reacted without thinking it through. There was no time. I like to think that, if I thought Theresa was in similar danger, I would have done the same thing.

I was amused to think that Teddy was right about there being a considerable age difference, just not the way he thought. He knew about immortals and yet it still never occurred to him that he might not be the one doing the cradle robbing. I guess it would be easy to fall into that trap when you become used to thinking of yourself as old. That's something I don't plan on ever getting used to if I live to be 100. My body may do what it has to do but I'll always be the same person.

I'll say this again, I was surprised at how much Lynsay was able to squeeze into a short story. She took some shortcuts that she got it done. I figured there was perhaps time for the romance but I didn't think I would get the vicarious satisfaction of seeing Teddy turned. In the end, I guess we all got the usual vicarious happiness of seeing two people, who deserve it, find each other. Isn't that the one on the reasons we read this stuff ?

Congratulations, Lynsay, on another job well done. This was a wonderful story. It could've been a wonderful novel. I wish it was.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby sin on April 20th, 2012, 1:38 pm

Just an FYI: For those of us who either did/do not have an e-reader or did not get the hardback of this book, great news. The paperback is being released in October :) It is now available for pre-ordering.

sin

Previous

Return to Discuss the Series