Other Suggested Reads

Re: Other Suggested Reads

Postby wren on September 27th, 2009, 7:12 am

marebear_2000 wrote:i only have 1 other favorite author...catherine coulter. i prefer her historicals to the contemporary settings. if a book falls into the romance category or is right there on the edge, i'll give it a shot. i tend to read multiple novels in single days. so if i like a story, there's a good chance i'll be reading it at least 10 more times in the future. i noticed that a lot of people have mentioned other paranormal authors. is it weird that i can't get into other vampire series? what is with the recent influx of vampire everything?

Welcome, "marebear_2000" Image

If you like Lynsay's lighter style of paranormal vampire books, you might be able to get into those of Kerrilyn Sparks. She also writes with a light, humorous touch.

Lynsay started with historical romances, and they are absolutely wonderful. She has a devoted historical fan following, including some of us who also really enjoy her paranormal books. Although Lynsay writes the fabulous Argeneau series, she also enjoys writing historical romance and has fought to continue writing those for her fans, too. She currently has a Scottish trilogy published by Avon/Harper Collins, the first being Devil Of The Highlands which was released early this year, with the other two books to follow in early 2010...the following information comes from Amazon.com:

Taming the Highland Bride
by Lynsay Sands (Mass Market Paperback - Jan 26, 2010)
Buy new: $7.99 ~ Available for Pre-order. This item will be released on Jan 26, 2010.

The Hellion and the Highlander by Lynsay Sands (Mass Market Paperback - Feb 23, 2010)
Buy new: $7.99 ~ Available for Pre-order. This item will be released on Feb 23, 2010.

For a list of all of Lynsay's previous historical romances, see the book list on the home page of the website. If you are just starting to read Lynsay's historical romances published by Dorchester, begin with The Deed. They are well worth the reading time!

I find that different types of books within a genre are popular at any given time, and the publishers will cater to what readers are buying...which means they will ask their authors to write those kinds of books, looking for the next winning series! For awhile, it was "pirates" or "the old American west" characters & themes that were the most popular. Right now, it's vamps and other paranormal creatures. Sometimes an author will come up with an idea that is a big hit, and then you have a flood of other writers trying to come up with something similar. Like all true artists, writers enjoy the challenge of trying something new!

It always cycles eventually. When it does, the best paranormal series will remain and continue, while the fickle reading public latches on to their next interest! ;) When that happens, publishers will follow the trend, and the market will be saturated with whatever is "popular" at that time. Thankfully, there will always be a dedicated Argeneau following, as it is among the very best of the paranormal series being published today! So, unless Lynsay gets tired of writing them, we should have some good books to read for a long, long time...both paranormal & historical romance...and we never know what her creative genius imagination will come up with next! 8-)

wren Image
wren

Postby JM_Luna on September 27th, 2009, 8:00 pm

In Death Series- JD Robb
Anything Nora Roberts
Argeneau Series- Lynsay Sands*Obviously* :lol:
Lords of the Underworld Series- Gena Showalter
Warriors of Posidon Series- Alyssa Day
Harry Potter Series- JK Rowling
Brenda Joyce
Maggie Shayne

An immense number of others.
JM_Luna

Postby marebear_2000 on October 1st, 2009, 3:19 am

thanks for the welcome wren! i've read some of lynsay's historicals. i liked them, too. i usually don't look at the author's name when i pick out a book. i discovered the argeneaus that way. i was going on a roadtrip to florida & needed some reading material. i saw the cover of VAF, read the back, & was hooked. then i saw VI out of the corner of my eye & had to get that one too. unfortunately i was in walmart so they were the only two available at the time. i think if i would have been in borders, standing in front of lynsay's shelf, i would have depleted my checking account.
marebear_2000

Postby Denise on October 1st, 2009, 11:25 am

Lucky for your checking account, then, Marebear, but unlucky for you. I'm assuming you have them all, now.
Denise

Postby marebear_2000 on October 2nd, 2009, 2:38 am

unfortunately no. the last time i went to borders they didn't didn't have AV available. also i'm waiting until TDH's reissue to get it. i want to have my set match. (no offense, lynsay, but i hate those old cartoon covers.) i think i'm gonna call before i make the long drive again. spreading them out kinda helps with the withdrawal between new ones.
marebear_2000

Postby wren on October 5th, 2009, 5:56 pm

marebear_2000 wrote:unfortunately no. the last time i went to borders they didn't didn't have AV available. also i'm waiting until TDH's reissue to get it. i want to have my set match. (no offense, lynsay, but i hate those old cartoon covers.) i think i'm gonna call before i make the long drive again. spreading them out kinda helps with the withdrawal between new ones.

When you call to see if they have the book available, ask them to put your name on it and hold it behind the counter until you can get there, since it is a long drive. That way, you'll be sure to get your book. :)
wren

Postby OnceBittenTwiceShy on November 10th, 2009, 12:28 pm

oh, You guys have to read the brokenheart Oklahoma series michelle bardsley
OnceBittenTwiceShy

Postby Denise on January 23rd, 2010, 2:33 am

And she just happens to be in "Bitten By Cupid" with Lynsay!
Denise

Postby wren on January 23rd, 2010, 11:38 pm

Duo-chan wrote:
Denise wrote:And she just happens to be in "Bitten By Cupid" with Lynsay!

Yeah! I need that book! Unfortunately I won't be in the states any time soon. Ah well guess I'll just have to wait a little longer ^^

I had not read anything by Pamela Palmer until "Bitten By Cupid" so I look forward to trying some of her books. Also, by the other author that was in the anthology with Lynsay, Jaime Rush. I guess anthologies are a good way to try different authors and find out about the books they write. :)
wren

Postby susan60625 on January 24th, 2010, 1:33 pm

wren wrote:I guess anthologies are a good way to try different authors and find out about the books they write. :)

Yeah, Wren. That's how I found Lynsay in the first place. I had gotten the anthology Holidays are Hell for the Kim Harrison novella. I just fell in love with her shape shifter characters and went looking for more. For the heck of it I decided to try her Argeneau series. I ordered AQB. I was about 1/3 of the way into it, when I got back on line and ordered the rest of the series! And the rest is history.....
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

PreviousNext

Return to Getting to know you questions