Book Falling apart

Ask Terri questions about audio books, ebooks, book issues like book falling apart, cannot acquire books, upcoming conference or signing dates, Lynsay's online shop, website, newsletters, forum issues, social media issues, etc.

Book Falling apart

Postby grlnxtdr29 on May 12th, 2010, 4:03 pm

The cover of my copy of Vampires are Forever keeps falling off. I tried reglueing it, but it didn't last. Any Suggestions?
grlnxtdr29

Re: Book Falling apart

Postby terri on May 12th, 2010, 4:14 pm

My first question would be how many times have you read it?

I have had cases where people's books were falling apart right when they started reading it and I inform the publisher so they can get on the printing presses and make sure it's not a problem with a shipment of books. So if this is the case then let me know and I'll tell Harper Collins and I would also suggest getting a refund for your book.

But if you've read the book a few times then the only thing I can advise is using tape. I would say a clear packing tape that is strong but see through so you can still see the spine and cover but is wide enough that it should fix the problem for you.

Thanks grlnxtdr29 for your question!
:-)
Terri-fixer
terri
Site Admin

Postby grlnxtdr29 on May 12th, 2010, 9:02 pm

It fell off the first time I read it. I glued it back on, and it fell off when I read it the second time. I used rubber cement, which is what they used at the library where I worked as a security guard. I tried again with white glue, ans it lasted thru the third reading, but fell off when I packed the book for the move last year.
grlnxtdr29

Postby Denise on May 13th, 2010, 5:12 am

I use hot glue when re-affixing covers to spines.
Denise

Postby terri on May 13th, 2010, 8:23 am

grlnxtdr29 wrote:It fell off the first time I read it. I glued it back on, and it fell off when I read it the second time. I used rubber cement, which is what they used at the library where I worked as a security guard. I tried again with white glue, ans it lasted thru the third reading, but fell off when I packed the book for the move last year.

Well that's frustrating. I'll let Harper Collins know. There was a problem with one of the books in that 3 books in 3 month series falling apart way back when. I have informed Harper Collins when it was happening before. When did you buy it?

Terri
terri
Site Admin

Postby grlnxtdr29 on May 13th, 2010, 10:09 am

On the day it was released. Was one of the Books I bought for my Hospital stay when I was pregnant
grlnxtdr29

Postby susan60625 on May 13th, 2010, 11:31 am

I find that the books that have the "double cover" (I don't know what else to call it) such as VAF, REN, & TIH seem to have a problem with the outer cover coming loose. Mine haven't actually come off, but they are definitely loose. I know those covers are cool looking, but the publisher really needs to work on the adhesive to keep them attached.
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby sin on May 15th, 2010, 10:28 am

I have had that problem 2 times myself. I took the book back to Borders & they traded it out for me. They also sent it back. But I always have informed you when I have done this. Terri the clear packing tape is a wonderful invention. I have one series that I have done this to. Even before I have read it. It reinforces the spine. :)

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby Jewelz on June 8th, 2010, 12:30 am

I've had a problem with VAF. The the first page behind the cover keeps falling out. I guess I'll have to tape it. I've only read the book twice. It started falling apart the first tme through. All my books are on a shelf and are well taken care of. My mother-in-law is reading the Argeneau series. Right now she's reading ABTR. Everytime she barrows a book I kindly remind her that this is one of my favorite series and to be nice to my books. :oops:

Love is like a butterfly, it goes where it please's, and please's where it goes. :-)
Jewelz

Postby terri on June 8th, 2010, 9:41 am

Hi Jewelz!

I am sorry to hear that. It's frustrating when that happens. The only problem with the book falling apart thing is you need to take it back shortly after you buy it. Otherwise you have to deal with it by taping it, etc. It's also good to tell them exactly why you're returning it... that the book's falling apart and maybe this would give a warning to the publisher to go consider using a different printing press.

Thanks Jewelz,
Terri
terri
Site Admin

Next

Return to Questions For Terri