Audio Books - Question Concerning Memberships

Ask Terri questions about audio books, ebooks, book issues like book falling apart, cannot acquire books, upcoming conference or signing dates, Lynsay's online shop, website, newsletters, forum issues, social media issues, etc.

Audio Books - Question Concerning Memberships

Postby terri on June 9th, 2010, 3:00 pm

I need an opinion poll here as I'm debating on removing either both or at least one of these links from Lynsay's website for two audio book sites.

Both Audible and The Audio Book Store charge $7.95 per month for the first 3 months and then it's $14.95 a month for membership. This gives readers 1 credit to be able to download one audio book for the month so 12 a year as I'm sure that they would force you to pay an entire year. And with membership supposedly you get a certain % off the regular audio book price. Now Audible says UP TO 75% off but not stating exactly how much or if it's limited to certain books. And The Audio Book Store is really suspicious as they state members get 30% off regular prices but their 'regular prices' range from $30 to $40 dollars per book, which btw are the highest prices I've found so far.

Now except for the first 3 month deal I don't see this as being a great deal. And they force you into a membership, which is a little fishy to me.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Do you think it's a good deal?

Terri
terri
Site Admin

Re: Audio Books - Question Concerning Memberships

Postby grlnxtdr29 on June 9th, 2010, 3:28 pm

I haven't bought any books from either site, but I did check out audible while I was waiting for SWV to be released in MP3 format. I didn't Like the fact that you could only search for certain books/topics if you didn't join first. I don't want to join a club if I am not going to use it every month, which I probably won't. I've only bought a few audio books on MP3, and there are only a few others I plan on buying when I can afford them. I Usually just purchase thru iTunes, as it is the easiest way to download to my iPod, although it is not neccessarily the cheapest (Depending on the author/publisher/book, the prices range from $15-$35 a book).
grlnxtdr29

Postby terri on June 10th, 2010, 8:46 am

Thanks Girl Next Door!

Terri
terri
Site Admin

Postby grlnxtdr29 on June 12th, 2010, 3:01 am

So far I Have purchased A Quick Bite, Love Bites, Single White Vampire, Tall Dark and Hungry, A Bite To Remember, and Just tonight I bought Bite me if you can in MP3 Format. I've ordered The Accidental Vampire from iTunes, but it's not available yet thru them. I plan on ordering the rest of the Argeneau and Hunter books when I can. Other than one more book in another series that isn't coming out in MP3 format till october, I don't plan on buying any other books in this format for quite a while, so a Membership I'm not going to use would just be dumb to me....
grlnxtdr29

Postby terri on June 23rd, 2010, 11:34 am

Thanks AnemicOak and GirlNextDoor. Good to know.

Ter
terri
Site Admin

Postby Mabel48 on June 23rd, 2010, 2:04 pm

Like AnemicOak I've been a member for almost 2 years. I was collecting all the Emelia Peabody Mysteries (there are 18 I think) and I've bought all the Argeneau books from them. Sometime they have a special where you can buy extra credits cheaper that the 14.95. Now if the just get Accidental Vampire back on there I'll be all set.
Mabel48
Mabel48

Postby Denise on July 4th, 2010, 1:55 am

Was accidentally an Audible member when I used some freebee stuff. Didn't realize I had signed up for their membership. Anyway, had to deal with their customer support group and they were very nice, gave me no problems.
Denise

Postby cgsdesigns on October 4th, 2010, 11:57 pm

I've been an Audible member for two years now.

AudibleListener® Platinum
22.95 USD a month
ONLY $11.48 per CREDIT
2 credits per month

And I have bought several other books after I spent all my credits and still wanted more.;..... example I know I only bought 3 of Lynsay's books with credits. The rest I paid the discounted member price for. :D I did the same with the Sookie Stackhouse series.

I love audible books. When I read a book, I don't stop until I'm done. I will even read while walking back to go to the bathroom. I don't eat. I don't do anything but read. But with audible books, I can do other things while I listen to the books. I like the audible books so much that I recorded a few books in a series that I couldn't get from audible or find anywhere on line.

I listen while I do my aqua therapy.... that's an hour and a half straight with nice thoughts about hunky vamps to distract me from the pain. I also drive across Michigan once a month. I live on one side of the state and my parents and doctor are on the other side of the state. It is a three hour ride that I get to listen to my books since the radio requires that I change the channel 3 times... I hate that. I also listen to them at my parents house when I stay there once a month during my doctor visits. They are a huge life saver there! My dad says lights out, tv off, no sounds or lights after 9 PM. That includes trying to read with a flash light! So, I turn on my iPod and grab my head phones and listen to my books.

I only wish that audible.com would put out Accidental Vampire and Bitten By Cupid! But I will keep sending my requests in at least 3 times a week and maybe I'll get it. :D
cgsdesigns

Postby sandi on October 11th, 2010, 1:12 pm

Accidental Vampire is available now at Audible. Actually I found it by taking the link from Amazon to make the purchase and I received the my audible member credit rate. It shows available without going through extraordinary steps now!
Your post inspired me to register. Previously I just lurked...
sandi

Postby Denise on October 17th, 2010, 11:00 pm

cgsdesigns wrote:I like the audible books so much that I recorded a few books in a series that I couldn't get from audible or find anywhere on line.

I have been tempted to do that, myself!
Denise

Next

Return to Questions For Terri