First Edition Book?

Ask Terri questions about audio books, ebooks, book issues like book falling apart, cannot acquire books, upcoming conference or signing dates, Lynsay's online shop, website, newsletters, forum issues, social media issues, etc.

First Edition Book?

Postby rory8535 on July 15th, 2010, 4:48 pm

Hi Terry,
I have a copy of Ms Sand's book, "A Quick Bite". However, I've been unable to determine which edition it is, and was hoping you could help! This is the hardback version, with unpriced DJ (leading me to believe it's *not* a first), with a copyright of 2005. On the interior page listing books by the author, though, "A Quick Bite" is the only book listed. The UPC code is: 0-7394-5968-6.

Can you be of any assistance in this matter?

My sincerest thanks!

rory8535
rory8535

Re: First Edition Book?

Postby wren on July 22nd, 2010, 12:17 am

Welcome! :) Since the book is in hardcover, it is probably a book club edition. It is possible that it is still a first edition book that was released through one of the book clubs at the same time that A Quick Bite was released. We will need to ask our forum expert on the book clubs...Oh, Linda, we need your help, please...and get back to you asap! :D
wren

Postby Lynsay on July 22nd, 2010, 2:25 pm

We shall have to hope Linda has a way to tell, because I haven't a clue. HArdcovers are from Rhapsody book club. As far as I know they only did one printing and it was only the paperbacks that have been back for printing several times. But that's only as far as I know. And, unfortunately, I don't get told much about anything when it comes to publishing. I think they kind of look at me like a carpet store would look at a carpet producer. I've made the product, sold it to them, and who they sell it to or what they do with it after that is really nothing to do with me. At least that's how it seems to me a lot of the time.

Lynsay, who used to work in a carpet store while at University
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby rory8535 on July 22nd, 2010, 5:54 pm

Greetings, Lynsay, Wren!
Oh, dear! This isn't as easy as I thought it would be!!! :o

It used to be, Book Club edition books said so, at least on the dust jacket! And first editions were either labeled as such, or you could tell by the series of numbers on the copyright page of the book. First edition book DJ's also always had the price, at the time the book was printed, on an inside corner ("flap"), usually the back: a book with a "price-clipped" DJ was either a second, or a reissue that used a DJ that was leftover from the original run.

(And did I just say it was easy to tell, LOL!?! :shock: )

I sincerely appreciate the assistance of those of you more on the "inside" of this business! (The explanations, above, were given to me by a long-time book collector friend, BTW: if something is incorrect, I'd be grateful to have it pointed out to me, so that I'm not propagating erroneous or specious information!)

I'd like to point out, too, that, while the story remains the same regardless of the edition, I personally think there's something a bit special about first edition books... Especially first books that are first editions! :D I await a reply from Linda, apparently the in-house (in-forum? ;) ) expert on this subject!

Once again, my most sincere thanks to both Wren and Lynsay for their time and knowledge (and for the great anecdote from Lynsay, comparing books to floor coverings! :mrgreen: ); and thanks, as well, to the forum members who've bothered to stop in and peruse the subject!

Ciao!

rory8535
rory8535

Postby terri on July 28th, 2010, 3:01 pm

Hmm... I have no clue either.

I believe it's Rhapsody and Double Day that have carried Lynsay's books before. Could be from either one.

Terri
terri
Site Admin

Postby ~Linda~ on July 28th, 2010, 9:56 pm

**Waving** Hey everyone.. Wren, Lynsay, rory8535 sorry for my absence.. But you all are right it is a book club edition. So it wont say first edition. They print on a limited run. So as far as I know once they are gone they are gone. Then are up for sale on the secondary market.

*blushes* I am a well known hardcover ho... lol

I had to go to my sisters Again.. sigh.. I love my sister but geeeze she haz drama.... I just got home yesterday YEAH
her Internet was wonky she has aol.. and it wouldn't let me sign in to anything except twitter arrrg im @pasiveagressiva if anyone want to say hi.
Thanks to Wren for pulling me out from under my rock ;)
here is a good reference guide http://www.bookthink.com/0005/05bce.htm It tell about the different kinds of editions.
Last edited by ~Linda~ on August 5th, 2010, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world is so Backasswards
It makes me wish I was
DYSLEXIC!
~Linda~

Postby wren on July 29th, 2010, 4:20 am

Thanks ~Linda~ waving back Image...and we're glad you were able to get back with us so quickly while you have so much still happening with your sister. Hope all will be well soon! Thanks for all of the help. We miss you when you can't be here, but hopefully you'll be able to join us when Armand's book is released in just a few weeks! ♫ Anticipation...It's making us wait...to finally get the answers about Nicholas & find out about the reclusive hottie Armand! ♫ After reading the excerpt of Born To Bite, I understood why so many women kept marrying him! *grin*

rory8535, we are a very happy, cozy forum here and we would love for you to join us on the other discussions & games and become an active member of our forum...and be "turned." It's painless...your name turns navy blue & you become a full-fledged member of the forum with all the rights & privileges allowed...and when you post it shows up immediately! 8-) We will be buzzing like bees around here at the end of August with the release of Born To Bite! Also, ~Linda~ might like to have another 'hardcover collector & expert' to chat with when those books are released and assist her in answering questions. We all help each other in any way we can, and we love making new friends. We often get to know one another so well that we know how to find each other when the need arises...as it did this time! Welcome...we hope you stick around and become an "Immortal!"Image wren
wren

Postby rory8535 on July 29th, 2010, 3:27 pm

~Linda~ wrote:**Waving** Hey everyone.. Wren, Lynsay, rory8535 sorry for my absence.. But you all are right it is a book club edition. So it wont say first edition. They print on a limited run. So as far as I know once they are gone they are gone. Then are up for sale on the secondary market.

*blushes* I am a well know hardcover ho... lol

I had to go to my sisters Again.. sigh.. I love my sister but geeeze she haz drama.... I just got home yesterday YEAH
her Internet was wonky she has aol.. and it wouldn't let me sign in to anything except twitter arrrg im @pasiveagressiva if anyone want to say hi.
Thanks to Wren for pulling me out from under my rock ;)
here is a good reference guide http://www.bookthink.com/0005/05bce.htm It tell about the different kinds of editions.

Hi Linda,
Greetings, and many thanks for your help! :mrgreen:

I was pretty sure that this was a first--of *some* sort!--but the publishers are always coming up with something new to keep one from knowing for SURE! Limited run BCE's are cool, too: I checked amazon.com, and this edition is going for fairly largish bucks there... the few that there are! (I love browsing the St Vincent De Paul book section, I've gotten some major finds for my collection there! :mrgreen: )

Linda, I'm pleased to meet you! Thank you, as well, for the great link to BookThink.Com! I've bookmarked that site, for future reference!

Hope to see you around the forums in the future! (I need to figure out this "Immortal" stuff! Sounds... well, intriguing! ;) )

Regards,

rory
rory8535

Postby rory8535 on July 29th, 2010, 3:56 pm

Wren says, in part:
wren wrote:
rory8535, we are a very happy, cozy forum here and we would love for you to join us on the other discussions & games and become an active member of our forum...and be "turned." It's painless...your name turns navy blue & you become a full-fledged member of the forum with all the rights & privileges allowed...and when you post it shows up immediately! 8-) We will be buzzing like bees around here at the end of August with the release of Born To Bite! Also, ~Linda~ might like to have another 'hardcover collector & expert' to chat with when those books are released and assist her in answering questions. We all help each other in any way we can, and we love making new friends. We often get to know one another so well that we know how to find each other when the need arises...as it did this time! Welcome...we hope you stick around and become an "Immortal!"Image wren

Wren--thank you *so* much! :mrgreen: I really appreciate all the help--as well as the super-friendly posts!--I've received here! Have to check out this "Immortal" stuff, though! :shock: Although this certainly seems to be *THE* place to find out everything Lynsay Sands! Cool to the extreme! 8-)

I will ~try~ to keep an eye on the forum, and be around if Linda (who sounds like a real Sweetheart!) has a hardcover collector/expert in for a chat! I tend to being scatter-brained, though, with all the stuff I have going on, so I'm likely as not to forget... even though this is an area of high interest for me! I myself am strictly an amature collector, and very eclectic in what books I collect (although I DO have favorite authors, of course! ;) ); I also limit myself to books acquired either from trade sites or second-hand book places, or venues such as yard sales, so it's a bit like a scavenger hunt! But I have fun with it!

Meanwhile, here's wishing you, the other forum members, and Lynsay herself, as well! :D, the very best that this summer has to offer!

Be safe, and be well, All!

rory
rory8535

Return to Questions For Terri