Thoughts about Marguerite

Talk about the Argeneau family members and what makes them so real.

Thoughts about Marguerite

Postby TomEC on December 20th, 2010, 6:46 pm

I’ve been looking for a topic where I could post my thoughts about my favorite immortal and a nominee for Mother of the Year for the six hundredth year running, Marguerite Argeneau Notte. I didn’t find a topic that seemed quite right so I decided to start this. I would have thought that a tread like this would have been started a long time ago. If it has, I never found it. Even if no one else is interested in this topic, I need to say my piece. With all the thousands of posts here, there may not be an original thought in this one but here goes:

Marguerite in not the coolest character in the series, nor the toughest, nor the badest and she may not be the sexiest, except in my imagination, bit if there is one character in the entire series who is the main one she is it. In fiction, the main character is defined as the one, hero or villain, who’s actions and decisions decide the outcome of the story. Each of the Argeneau books has had a different main character who’s fit that bill but Marguerite is one for the series as a whole. Her actions set the whole thing in motion and keep it in motion. She’s the one that causes it all to make sense. In a world where immortals go thousands of years without finding their life mates, all of a sudden all these immortals are finding theirs in the space of a few years. Without Marguerite’s magical ability to locate life mates for the people she cares about, the whole thing would be impossible. There would have been nothing stopping Lynsay from having all the characters find their life mates anyway and just putting it down to coincidence but I’m glad she didn’t. It’s a great plot twist.

As I read my way thought the Argeneau series I gradually fell in love with Marguerite, even before Vampire Interrupted. She’s this wonderful, sometimes goofily out of touch, tragic (consider what she’s been through), loving presence that’s wormed her way into my heart like few characters I’ve encountered in the many fictional worlds I’ve visited ever have. I’m not saying that I’m jealous of Julius, more like I’m jealous of Lucern, Bastien, Etienne, and Lissianna for having her as a mother. Don’t get me wrong, I love mine and would do anything for her, but who wouldn’t want a mother like Marguerite?

So here’s to you Marguerite. Long may you matchmake.
Last edited by TomEC on March 26th, 2011, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Re: Thoughts about Marguerit

Postby susan60625 on December 22nd, 2010, 4:31 pm

Marguerite is the thread of strength and love that flows through the entire series. Lucian may think that he is the head of the family, but we all have seen that even he isn't a match for Marguerite. She is a force to be reckoned with! I love the way she tricked Lucern into going to the conference and then stood her ground when he tried to back out. She made a six hundred year old man feel like a child just by the tone of her voice!

I also love that she has had a hand in almost every match that has been written so far. Hungry For You revealed how she had a hand in Mortimer and Sam getting together. Now, the only couple I haven't found a Marguerite connection for yet is Dani/Decker. I don't think that Lucian consulted with her on where to send Decker and Bricker when they were searching for Nickolas. I can't see that she could have or WOULD have "arranged" for Leo to kidnap Stephanie and Dani. She also was not in contact with Nickolas, so she didn't get him involved in chasing Leo and his sons. And when Lucian met up with them in that parking lot, he had no idea beforehand that Dani and Decker were lifemates, so he couldn't have been influenced by Marguerite in how he handled that situation. Maybe I've missed some nuance that Lynsay will exploit later, but I think that, so far, that is the only relationship that she hasn't influenced. Of course, that is not a bad thing, it just makes their relationship unique!

I am very much looking forward to how Christian deals with her influence when he finds his lifemate in the book that will be released at the end of the year. (BTW Tom, you will notice that my signature has an AKA. That is the name of Christian's lifemate. All of the sisters here on the forum know that Christian is mine, and the only reason that his lifemate's name is not Sue is for legal reasons!) After all, Christian is new to Marguerite's machinations and may find them a little overwhelming. Hopefully, it will provide for a very funny story, given Lynsay's writing style!
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby susan60625 on December 22nd, 2010, 4:35 pm

Tom, also there is a thread for the Top 5 Females in the series. I will find it and bump it up for you. We may want to update it anyways. We updated the Top 5 men thread to Top 10 since there are so many more stories in the series now. Maybe we should update to the Top 10 Females, as well.
susan60625

Postby VirtualValkyrie on December 24th, 2010, 12:22 pm

Marguerite is a lovely character. And is definitely someone who anyone would like as a mother. Some would see her as interfering at times, but its only because she loves her family :D

Susan, I'm just waiting to find out how she managed to get Dani and Decker together (it may be dropped in future books!),its Marguerite we're talking about afterall.... ;)

Oh, and welcome to the Forum TomEC! :mrgreen:
"Excellence is not a skill. Its an attitude."
VirtualValkyrie

Postby wren on December 24th, 2010, 2:57 pm

VirtualValkyrie wrote:Marguerite is a lovely character. And is definitely someone who anyone would like as a mother. Some would see her as interfering at times, but its only because she loves her family :D

Susan, I'm just waiting to find out how she managed to get Dani and Decker together (it may be dropped in future books!),its Marguerite we're talking about afterall.... ;)

Oh, and welcome to the Forum TomEC! :mrgreen:

Well...let's think it through. :) Marguerite helped Decker find the cottage, and suggested he purchase the one next to the Willan sisters. Since Decker was on vacation in the area, Lucian called him back on duty so that his cottage could be the home base for the enforcers, which were Mortimer & Bricker, that Lucian sent out in TRH to check on those mysterious "bites" being reported & hunt for a possible rogue. Decker's book, TIH, was next, and at the very beginning, Grant, not knowing that Nicholas was "rogue," verified that he was in the area and could be an alibi for him to Lucian...which led to the hunt for Nicholas which led to the fact that Nicholas was trying to get Decker & the others attention so they could help him with Leo 2 & his gang of sons because he still hunted really nasty rogues...which led to them rescuing Dani...which led to Decker & Dani being life mates...and the chase to catch Nicholas & find Stephanie...who it seems will play an important part in the "matchmaking" of Harper & Drina through her unique gift. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Marguerite tipped Stephanie on using her "special ability" at the wedding before she left with Mirabeau & Tiny...although TRV will have a lot of fun as well as a lot of drama...we have that from some of Lynsay's forum posts this year! After all, Anders & Drina are enforcers who are headed into Port Henry to help, probably because Victor & Elvi are on honeymoon, and Lucian wants to totally protect Stephanie. Lynsay already knows who & how Leo2 is going to attack next...also revealed in a previous post!

We also know that Port Henry is the setting for the next two stories, Harper's in TRV, and then Teddy's in the 2011 Christmas anthology. Stephanie is in Port Henry & Leo 2 is cunning but not going to be patient forever, and Basha may decide it's time to make a move. Makes me wonder if we are going to see Leo 2 & Basha & crew again sooner rather than later...hmmm? Will Teddy get caught in the crossfire? We also know that Drina is a Spanish cousin of the Argeneaus, born BC and has been an enforcer for a long time...possibly it is Marguerite's suggestion that she help out in Port Henry while Victor is on his honeymoon. After all, it's those little "not so subtle suggestions" that seem to be one of her ways of working her special magic! :D

So, that is my scenic tour to how Marguerite seems to have "indirectly" put Mortimer & Sam, Decker & Dani, and Nicholas & Jo together as life mates, and then just "knew" that Cale was should meet Alex, so convinced him to do that much while he was in Canada for the wedding...once again hitting the jackpot on matching life mates! Image Methinks there is much more to Marguerite's matriarchal matchmaking gifts than Lynsay has yet given us, but it would spoil the fun if she told us all, now wouldn't it? ;) I'll have to hunt for the passage where this tidbit about the cottage was dropped. I seem to remember it being sometime when the family was gathered...although it seems like Bricker may have been the one to discover & reveal it to the others. It's time for a slow & thorough reread of the last five books! 8-)
wren

Postby susan60625 on December 24th, 2010, 5:05 pm

Wren, the tidbit about Marguerite helping out Decker with picking out the cottage was in HFY. When Cale went to the enforcer house and Bricker and Mortimer were explaining to Cale about how proficient Marguerite was in matchmaking. Bricker said something like she has hooked up every single couple in the past few years. Mortimer then said that it was everyone but him and Sam. That's when Bricker tells him that Decker had mentioned about Marguerite helping out with the real estate selection.
susan60625

Postby TomEC on December 25th, 2010, 1:04 pm

I think Marguerite’s abilities as a matchmaker go far beyond intuition. They seem to be some sort of nano fueled superpower; probably, unprecedented in the history of immortals, that does more than just point out to her who is who’s life mate. No matter how wise and insightful someone might be, there is no way anyone could have foreseen the events that brought all those couples together through the last 13 books and one short story. It was established in SWV, through Kate and Lucern’s contact with the fortune teller, that it was possible for even a mortal mind to be in contact with the currents and eddies of possibility that flow through the universe. Whether she is consciously aware of it or not, Marguerite’s gift, I think, puts her in touch with that and allows her to nudge things in the right direction. That’s my best guess anyway.

In Spiderman, Peter Parker was told by his uncle that “with great power comes great responsibility.” Whatever the source of her insights, Marguerite is clearly in possession of great power. Lynsay couldn’t have put that power in better hands.
Last edited by TomEC on March 26th, 2011, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby VirtualValkyrie on December 27th, 2010, 1:29 pm

wren wrote: Methinks there is much more to Marguerite's matriarchal matchmaking gifts than Lynsay has yet given us, but it would spoil the fun if she told us all, now wouldn't it? ;) [/b][/color]

Yes! But I still want to know if there is anything else to Marguerites matchmaking gifts ;) *sigh* I'm far too impatient.
"Excellence is not a skill. Its an attitude."
VirtualValkyrie

Postby wren on January 1st, 2011, 3:48 pm

susan60625 wrote:Wren, the tidbit about Marguerite helping out Decker with picking out the cottage was in HFY. When Cale went to the enforcer house and Bricker and Mortimer were explaining to Cale about how proficient Marguerite was in matchmaking. Bricker said something like she has hooked up every single couple in the past few years. Mortimer then said that it was everyone but him and Sam. That's when Bricker tells him that Decker had mentioned about Marguerite helping out with the real estate selection.

Thanks, sweet & sassy sis Sue! 8-)
wren

Re: Thoughts about Marguerite

Postby orionsfaith on November 1st, 2011, 1:37 pm

Interesting! Always found it funny that Marguerites 'power' is matchmaking, but it just occurred to me that her power was 'inhibited' during her marriage and if Jean Claude hadn't died we probably wouldn't have our stories either! ....new thought, wonder if Marguerite somehow inadvertently influenced JC to go on the trip that lead to him finding his lifemate! *gasp* then right after that she stumbled upon her own! Only a few years (or maybe even only months) after her 1st taste of freedom, that in and of itself is odd for an immortal. Interesting....lol

Yea, I can't find a link to Decker and Nick, which is fine, but leave it to Lynsay to tell us differently :P
"You see? We get on famously...We could have been grand friends."
"Except for the part about me being an enforcer and you being a murderer."
"Yes. Well, no friendship is perfect."
orionsfaith

Next

Return to Discuss The Characters