Other Suggested Reads

Re: Other Suggested Reads

Postby TomEC on December 23rd, 2010, 6:11 pm

Princess wren, If my previous post doesn't make it through before this one, the answer is it was compiled in 1995.

I would like to apologize for harping on this on a forum that is supposed to be about Lynsay’s books. Still, unless she can start cranking them out at the rate of a book a week we will need something to read as we wait for the next one.

If I still haven’t convinced you all to go to Amazon.com right now and order Ingathering: The Complete People Stories of Zenna Henderson, here is a sample of some of the reviews for this book (there were no bad ones). After this, I will stop pestering you all about this.

“That is what I wrote to Zenna several years ago, and I was saddened to receive a letter from her sister, saying that Zenna had been "called back to the Presence" a few years earlier. She had the ability to weave magic into her stories, and to make the reader feel and know what was happening. From Perdita and Low, to Lucine, to Valancy and the rest, Zenna made her characters come alive, and gave the feeling that these were not imaginary people, but real ones. These were not made-up events, but she was describing life somewhere in this world that was as it *should* be. Another reviewer said that there would be less suicide if more teens would read these stories, and I agree wholeheartedly. I know they changed my outlook on life. A special thanks to the compilers of "Ingathering" for their work! And please, AMAZON, keep this one in stock forever!”

“Oh! How I loved Ms. Henderson's writing when I first discovered them while talking to a stranger on a bus thirty years ago! I had to scrounge around used bookstores for them until I had all four of her books. I read them and they healed me. I gave them to others for whom they did the same. I used sections from them in my college papers, an entire story, "Turn the Page", as the basis for completing one of my education classes. A few years after I first read her, I wrote a letter to Ms. Henderson and mailed it off, the only time I had ever written to an author. It came back to me stamped "Undeliverable" so being driven to thank her as I was, I looked up her phone number from 411. She was listed, I called. Her son answered and told me that she had died a few months before. I was always sorry that I never got to thank her for the Good that she infused into the world. I cannot recommend her books highly enough for a fabulous read, intriguing ideas, and a way to let "The People" help you become a more human person.
I think a re-read is in order.”

“Every time I read Ms Henderson's People series (And there have been MANY times) I find myself as I was, the first time I read one of her people books as a young teen; enthralled, amazed, envious, and a little homesick!
Well, I have long been an adult, and I still feel that magic, that longing and wanting, and the need for more (though sadly that desire will never be met) and I reread her People stories, and content myself with the memories of the images and ideas they first stirred in me... of People who are no different flesh than we.”

“I read Zenna's stories as a child, they changed the way I saw the world. Maybe saved my life, as I tended towards both reckless and depressed. As a scientist, engineer, retired naval flight officer, father and husband forty years later, her stories still have impact and insight, reminding me of what's important- and wonderful. Reprinting these will be a service to the world- and sell a bunch if we redo the cover art. Great stories, excellent writing. Like Helprin, but less eccentric.”

“It's hard to imagine describing a fantasy novel as sweet, but these novels by Zenna Henderson manage to earn the term in the nicest possible way. I've had Pilgrimage for at least 25 years, and it's one that I re-read when I want something calm and reassuring and centering -- an emotional cup of hot cocoa.
The story -- originally written in 1961, but it ages well -- is easily summarized: A generation or so back, a spaceship of aliens crash-landed on Earth and many were separated from the others. The aliens look like us, but have unique (magical-seeming) abilities, including telepathy and levitation. The book is a collection of connected short stories told by the second generation of survivors about how they cope with being "different," and their need to find other people who understand them. Several include love stories, both romantic love and family-connection love.
But that sounds rather ho-hum. What makes this SF/F novel so special is that it's infused with compassion. There's no real Bad Guys -- just misunderstandings, and yearning, and other such internally-fed demons. Most of the well-drawn characters are unrelentingly GOOD, but not in a "oh give me a break" way -- they simply are full of innate joy. Just about everyone wants to help other people, and are frustrated when they cannot. If you're especially religious in a Judeo-Christian way (I'm not), you'll also add "heartwarming" to the labels, because there's a never-annoying undercurrent of god-is-love; my born-again friends would feel comfortable handing this book to their ten-year-old kids. (It's certainly suitable for young adults no matter what your personal spiritual beliefs.)
The stories are well written, too, with love scenes that make me sigh; one of the (temporarily frustrated) characters watches a married couple greet: "Their hands brushed as her feet reached the ground. There it was again. That wordless flame of joy, that completeness as they met, after a long ten minutes' separation." (One reason I like that description is that it reflects my own happy experience after nearly 30 years of marriage. A wordless flame of joy, indeed.)
If you've been feeling emotionally battered recently and could use a couple of hours of fine storytelling in which people are NICE to each other -- I heartily recommend that you search out a copy of Pilgrimage and its sequel, No Different Flesh. They're combined in this omnibus book but both are available used for pennies; there's no excuse not to get a copy.”

Okay, I’ve laid it on pretty thick, so in the interests of fairness, here’s the most negative review I could find typos and all:

“I must say that I read the book by accident. I was browsing through the store and the cover attracted me. Review-wise.. It was an excellent book of dream. Basically it was only another form of romance genre aimed specifically for women. Since I'a a MAN, i cant quite adentify myself with so much mushy-mushy. P.S. My niece (15) cries her eyes out over it.”

If I still haven’t convinced you, then that’s fine. I simply had to try.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby TomEC on January 4th, 2011, 4:31 pm

Hi everyone. I’ve notice that, as I write this, my posts over the past two weeks have finally made it up. Yay! All of them except one. This was a rather long post, that I tried to put on this thread, with a bunch of reviews from Amazon of a book I like. Call me paranoid but was it rejected? Did I cross some line I shouldn’t have crossed? I know we greens are on a sort of probation until we prove we can be trusted not to cause problems. If the post was rejected, where does that leave me in the trustworthy department? Could we just pretend that I never tried to post it? In case I did wrong, allow me to take time opportunity to repent in dust and ashes. In a very short time this forum has come to mean a lot to me and I would hate to have messed things up.

Or maybe I’m just making a big deal over nothing. I sure hope so.

I can be so pathetic and needy sometime.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby TomEC on January 11th, 2011, 10:47 pm

TomEC wrote:Hi everyone. I’ve notice that, as I write this, my posts over the past two weeks have finally made it up. Yay! All of them except one. This was a rather long post, that I tried to put on this thread, with a bunch of reviews from Amazon of a book I like. Call me paranoid but was it rejected? Did I cross some line I shouldn’t have crossed? I know we greens are on a sort of probation until we prove we can be trusted not to cause problems. If the post was rejected, where does that leave me in the trustworthy department? Could we just pretend that I never tried to post it? In case I did wrong, allow me to take time opportunity to repent in dust and ashes. In a very short time this forum has come to mean a lot to me and I would hate to have messed things up.

Or maybe I’m just making a big deal over nothing. I sure hope so.

I can be so pathetic and needy sometime.

Okay so yes I was making a big deal out of nothing! I thought this post had vanished. Talk about embarrassing moments. :oops:
TomEC

Postby Denise on January 12th, 2011, 11:16 am

There isn't a person ever created who didn't have an embarrassing moment or two, or hundreds. Some of us just bribe others to keep quiet about ours. ;)
Denise

Postby ElectricFedora on January 12th, 2011, 11:31 am

Lately I have been trying to find more real books (Non Graphic novels) to get into,

Lydia Dare's series. --- I Unfortunately don't think her series has a name. Her books so far have had Werewolves and Witches in it. Her next to well have Vampires added in and all her character have great personality. I have found myself comparing one of her guys Lucian, another to a darker version of Thomas and her girls are just so...amazing :3 My only dislike for the series would be a very small irk of mine which is with babies in the series. There's the whole only boys can be werewolves and only girls can be witches. But other wise it's an amazing series. OH! and not only is it Paranormal Romance but also a Historical Romance novel! <3

The Breed Series by Lara Adrian --- I have just started her series and am very fond of it, I have only read the first one but the second is next after I finish the fourth of the mentioned above Lydia Dare series. I enjoy her take on Vampires, another very original one. One of the reason I'm very fond of Lynsay's series is how she explains vampires. The Breed books explanation is another very nice idea, although not as good Lynsay's but still nice. Again, I didn't like the fact in this only men can be these vampires and well she introduces some great characters whos stories you well never hear due to the fact they already have someone. This ones a Straight Up Paranormal Romance.

And Lastly.
Love at Stake Series by Kerrelyn Sparks --- I've read the first four books and am very much enjoying how so far she keeps returning to characters you have met in other books and liked. Her guys are also very different from each other and not stereotypical vampires. I have every other book related to this series waiting in a stack. This ones straight Paranormal although you do see alot of little elements you would in Historicals.
“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.” - Brian Littrell

"Idle hands are the devil's workshop." - Unknown.
ElectricFedora

Postby TomEC on January 12th, 2011, 1:48 pm

Sometimes I think I live from one embarrassing moment to the next. I thought maybe online I could seem all smart, cool and together. Somehow the real me comes shining through anyway.
TomEC

Postby Goober on January 12th, 2011, 2:05 pm

lol aww Tom it's okay. I know what you were talking about, there were a couple things I had all typed out, and everything. Then I deleted them cause I was worried someone would think I was being too something and I didn't want to cause problems, until I was immortal and could hold my own.
Peace, Love, and a yummy Immortal... or two ;)
Goober

Postby MysticFan on January 12th, 2011, 11:55 pm

Tom, I think that you do a great job at coming across smart, cool and all together, but I can relate when it comes to embarrassing moments. I wanted to come on here and make a good impression so I decided to do my first post. I had just read SWV and I just adored Lucern. One day while browsing the forum, I see a thread dedicated to him. Well at least I thought it was for him. I go on there, blab on, and on... come to find out it was in fact not Lucern’s, but Lucian’s thread. I did not realize this at the time and one of the lovely women on here was kind enough to report my error to me in such a gracious way. I blew my first impression to bits. :oops: Now I just go with it and if I can get what I want to say out there and it not sound completely crazy then I consider that I have done a job well done...lol
"Life can't always be cheesecake."-Elvi Black

MysticFan

Postby TomEC on January 13th, 2011, 7:18 pm

Thanks to all of you. Everyone here is so positive and ready to build one another up. It’s one of the things I love about this place.

In that spirit, I feel free to embarrass myself again by recommending some alternative reading: Comics. More to the point web comics. They are one of the great timewasters on the internet. Since anyone can do one, many of them are truly awful but some of them are amazing... and free! If you Google any of the titles listed below, you will find a well written, well drawn comic. Some are true graphic novels and some are laugh-out-loud funny. When you go to the site, you will usually (though not always) see the latest panel. I recommended going back and starting at the beginning.

Eerie Cuties
The Phoenix Requiem
Penny and Aggie
The Dreamland Chronicles
Supernormal Step
Spinnerette!
Exiern
Devilbear
Unsounded
Shadowgirls
Legend of Bill
Atelier Libertatum
Zebra Girl
Fey Winds
Danielle Dark
Astray3
Galaxion
Flaky Pastry
Roza : A girl and her curse —

This is actually a pretty small sample of the good ones out there. If you check them out, I’d love to know what you think of them but be careful not to become addicted.
TomEC

Postby Lynsay on January 14th, 2011, 2:51 pm

Thomas, your post took a while to go up because Terri wasn't sure we should let it. She thought it was a bit over the top, especially since you'd already raved about the author a couple times before. She felt like it was a bit much and wanted me to check and see if I was okay with it, because you were really pushing the book to the point she was suspecting you were somehow related to the author (grin). I was a bit slow, but eventually looked and said "go ahead and post it. If he continues, then put the kai bosh on it." Not sure I spelled that right. So much easier to speak, you can't misspell in speaking, but that's what I said, so spelled wrong or not...shrug. Anyway, so then your post went up, but that was why the delay.

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Getting to know you questions