What does your avatar and signature/quote say about you?

Re: What does your avatar and signature/quote say about you?

Postby TomEC on February 14th, 2011, 1:50 pm

There, I think I fixed the avatar a bit. It's not quite so mushy as it was before. Image
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby wren on February 15th, 2011, 4:21 am

Hey Thomas, the new avatar looks cool. 8-) You'll have to share more about the book for which you designed it.

Your face avatar was very nice & what matters most is that Theresa likes to look at you...and you know that she does! However, you are way too modest & tough on yourself. Fortunately, I'm ever so NOT humble enough for both of us! ;) :lol: :D

P.S. I am humble when I need to be. I do know the difference & how to behave...just so y'all know that I know! ;)
wren

Postby TomEC on February 16th, 2011, 5:48 pm

wren wrote:Hey Thomas, the new avatar looks cool. 8-) You'll have to share more about the book for which you designed it.

Thanks, I like it.

As to the book, I'm a little worried that if I talk about it here I'll be crossing some line into inappropriate self-promotion. This is, after all, Lynsay's site. Still, that book, and the creative process it represents, is an important part of who I am so I'll talk about it this once. My book is called “Gellin the Cursed” and it's available on Amazon as a trade paperback, which I self-published through Lulu.com, and as a Kindle e-book. Since it's self-published the paperback is a bit pricey despite my attempts to keep it lower by reducing my profit since all I ever really wanted from the enterprise was an audience. (I'm a bit mad at Dr. Scholl's because of an ad campaign that came out after I wrote the book. They could at least have spelled it differently!) It took me several years to write the thing and a lot of years before that to create the fantasy world in which it’s set. It is basically a coming-of-age story about a bookish young man who finds the hero within himself. I'm quite happy with how it turned out, though I guess I can't really say I'm objective on the matter. Everyone who's read it so far has told me it's good so I take some solace in that.

As I said above, the book and the process of writing it is an important part of who I am. When I started school as a kid, I was the youngest kid in my class and knew I was in over my head from day one. I just wasn't emotionally ready for school and so was held back for a second year in the first grade. I was never allowed by anyone else in that town to forget that I'd failed grade one and it took me years to recover emotionally from that. Kids can be cruel. Despite the difficult start, I eventually learned to love books and writing mine was part of proving to myself that, despite popular opinion, I wasn't a moron. Actually it was easier than I thought. I had read a number of self-help books on the process of writing fiction and they helped but, more importantly, I had read countless books over the years and absorbed a good deal of the process of storytelling. I love stories. I love everything about them including every aspect of creating and writing them. I'm always daydreaming plots and dialogue. If you cut me, I bleed narrative. If I could justify it to Theresa, I would write all the time and have a bunch of sequels out by now. But that was not to be. Oh well, maybe someday. Image

wren wrote:
Your face avatar was very nice & what matters most is that Theresa likes to look at you...and you know that she does! However, you are way too modest & tough on yourself. Fortunately, I'm ever so NOT humble enough for both of us! ;) :lol: :D

P.S. I am humble when I need to be. I do know the difference & how to behave...just so y'all know that I know! ;)

I know you know Wen. I personally wouldn't have it any other way. :D

As to my being tough on myself, I think it's better than being arrogant if one must choose between the two. Theresa is always telling me that I have a complex. I'm just glad that she sees me the way she does. Image
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby TomEC on February 17th, 2011, 2:32 am

TomEC wrote:As to the book, I'm a little worried that if I talk about it here I'll be crossing some line into inappropriate self-promotion. This is, after all, Lynsay's site. Still, that book, and the creative process it represents, is an important part of who I am so I'll talk about it this once.

Okay, so it occurred to me that I sound like I'm trying to suggest that I don't want to talk about my book here. That would be very disingenuous of me since I was actually glad you had asked about it. I was looking for an excuse to mention it because it is such a big part of my creative life and puts much the stuff I yammer on about into context. I just wanted to make sure everyone understood that I didn't intend to abuse this forum by engaging in blatant self promotion. So... that's that. :oops:
TomEC

Postby jill on February 17th, 2011, 6:37 am

I am looking for a new avatar myself...of course this one is a self portrait ;) Tom I think yours is awesome (i over use this word but it really does describe it). But I don't have photo shop :( Wren or Sin I could use some major suggestions sisters. Because I don't have a creative bone in my body.

P.S. I missed everyone so much from here
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” Oscar Wilde
jill

Postby sin on February 17th, 2011, 12:56 pm

jill wrote:I am looking for a new avatar myself...of course this one is a self portrait ;) Tom I think yours is awesome (i over use this word but it really does describe it). But I don't have photo shop :( Wren or Sin I could use some major suggestions sisters. Because I don't have a creative bone in my body.

OMG Hi JillyBilly

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby terri on February 17th, 2011, 1:34 pm

Hi Tom,

" I just wasn't emotionally ready for school and so was held back for a second year in the first grade. I was never allowed by anyone else in that town to forget that I'd failed grade one and it took me years to recover emotionally from that. Kids can be cruel."

This I understand. I was supposed to fail grade 3 but my teacher decided to pass me anyway. And I eventually caught up with some attention from said teacher. The way they grade and evaluate kids (and even adults) needs to change as I have no doubt there was a better way of helping you out. IAs you stated you weren't mentally prepared and like me, weren't mentally present in the classroom. Luckily you didn't get down trodden by the nasty bullies (that do tend to pop up when the opportunity strikes) but don't worry. I do believe in karma so they'd better watch it. An ant they may return to be in their next life.

:-)
Terri
terri
Site Admin

Postby TomEC on February 17th, 2011, 2:33 pm

jill wrote:I am looking for a new avatar myself...of course this one is a self portrait ;) Tom I think yours is awesome (i over use this word but it really does describe it). But I don't have photo shop :( Wren or Sin I could use some major suggestions sisters. Because I don't have a creative bone in my body.

Hi Jill, nice to meet you. By the number of your posts, I can see that you’ve be on this forum a lot longer than I have.

Thanks for the compliment on my avatar. :D Yours is cool. If you’re looking for a new one, I don’t think you should worry overly much about it. I didn’t pick mine because I wanted to show off my artistic ability... much. I choose it because it has personal importance to me as I explained above. I think you should just pick an image that says something about you or has meaning for you or you simply think is cool. Then, when we see it, we’ll think of you. Image

terri wrote:Hi Tom,

" I just wasn't emotionally ready for school and so was held back for a second year in the first grade. I was never allowed by anyone else in that town to forget that I'd failed grade one and it took me years to recover emotionally from that. Kids can be cruel."

This I understand. I was supposed to fail grade 3 but my teacher decided to pass me anyway. And I eventually caught up with some attention from said teacher. The way they grade and evaluate kids (and even adults) needs to change as I have no doubt there was a better way of helping you out. IAs you stated you weren't mentally prepared and like me, weren't mentally present in the classroom. Luckily you didn't get down trodden by the nasty bullies (that do tend to pop up when the opportunity strikes) but don't worry. I do believe in karma so they'd better watch it. An ant they may return to be in their next life.

:-)
Terri

Thanks Terri. When you lay it all out like that, it's nice to get feedback. Nice to hear that I wasn't the only one who had a rocky road with school. Image
TomEC

Postby sin on February 17th, 2011, 4:42 pm

The best time I had in school other than kindergarten was the day I graduated.. school=shudders

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby jill on February 18th, 2011, 6:29 am

I enjoyed the academic of school. When it came down to it my head was buried in a book where everyone was living up "the best days of their lives". So you can imagine I was a social pariah. But oh well I have great friends now and I even manage to match my clothes occasionally ;)
“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” Oscar Wilde
jill

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion