Abbreviations

This is where the fun stuff lives

Re: Abbreviations

Postby grlnxtdr29 on June 17th, 2011, 9:05 am

I came across a new one on another forum that I have no clue what it means. Anyone know what IKR is? Only thing I can think of is I know, really!
grlnxtdr29

Postby rockie on June 17th, 2011, 11:00 am

its I know, right
AEA Sister♥☮☆♪
Sisterhood of the Traveling Fangs♥☮☆♪
SASSy ARGENEAUTS ♥☮☆♪
ImageLive
.♫
⋰**
⋱♫ ..Laugh
( ``✫•♫
`✫•.¸ )
¸. ✶♫....L♥ve
( ``✫•~
rockie

Postby Lynsay on June 17th, 2011, 11:36 am

Gees Louise! i didn't know half of these!

Lynsay
Lynsay
Lynsay
Site Admin

Postby rockie on June 17th, 2011, 4:44 pm

Oh man I for got OMFG- OH My Freakin God.. ( I put freakin in there instead of the other!)
AEA Sister♥☮☆♪
Sisterhood of the Traveling Fangs♥☮☆♪
SASSy ARGENEAUTS ♥☮☆♪
ImageLive
.♫
⋰**
⋱♫ ..Laugh
( ``✫•♫
`✫•.¸ )
¸. ✶♫....L♥ve
( ``✫•~
rockie

Postby wren on June 20th, 2011, 12:34 pm

MysticFan wrote:
susan60625 wrote:IMHO - In my humble opinion

Not to mention the books:

AQB - A Quick Bite
LB = Love Bites
SWV = Single White Vampire
TDH - Tall Dark & Hungry
ABTR - A Bite to Remember
BMIYC - Bite Me If You Can
TAV - The Accidental Vampire
VAF - Vampires Are Forever
VI - Vampire Interrupted
TRH - The Renegade Hunter
TIH - The Immortal Hunter
REN -= The Renegade Hunter
BBC - Bitten By Cupid / VV - Vampire Valentine
BTB - Born To Bite
HFY - Hungry For You
TRV - The Reluctant Vampire
UVM - Under a Vampire Moon
TBBC - The Bite Before Christmas / TG - The Gift

How on earth could I forget the books?!?! :oops: :lol:

Two more:

BRB = Be Right Back
OTOH = On The Other Hand

To be fair to you both, MysticFan & Cara-Bear Sue, Lynsay's books abbreviations are unique to our official forum...they aren't used elsewhere except by the "turned" Immortals. Another privilege, if we could only make those readers everywhere to see the benefits of being and "official fan club member!" Yes, sin & I do have permission from Lynsay & Terri for us to be the "Official Fan Club of Lynsay Sands"...we needs must organize the details! Volunteers welcome & appreciated. We'll need to proceed carefully so as to not violate any of Lynsay's contract obligations, so we will wait until after the conference when we can form a committee & consult with 'the powers that be!' :D

terri wrote:You guys are killing me! LOL or as they say these days HaHa... groan.

Terri

As far as what "they say" these days, I'm sticking with LOL anyway...HaHa was fine when we were all still writing on paper with pen to each other by snail mail and could draw our cute smiley face beside it, but it just doesn't have the same pizazz in computer text, kwim? What else are we supposed to change? ROFHaHaMAO?? See how far this groaner could go if we allow LOL to be removed from what we want to say! Image

We must stand our ground together, Terri..."all change is not progress"...especially when we're moving backwards. :? Are the text-abbreviations cops coming after us if we still LOL? Puh-lease...the rebellion will shut down the internet with LOLs everywhere if they try. Besides, we always have nano mind control, so we'll just take over and permanently remove their lightsabers! LOL May the Force be with You!!!! Image There has been a long 'Star Wars' marathon on the telly for the last several days...mmmm...in his younger days, Harrison Ford would have made a fine Argeneau character. Yummy! Image Image
wren

Postby sin on June 20th, 2011, 12:45 pm

Lol..always a good stand by like a black dress.

The Queen may be Evil... BUT I am WICKED and Wicked ALWAYS wins.

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby wren on June 20th, 2011, 1:07 pm

sin wrote:Lol..always a good stand by like a black dress.

yes, LOL is "classic"...you said it, sister! Btw, unless very careful, doesn't HaHa sound sarcastic in text much of the time? Not good for "tone in text" situations :cry: :oops:
wren

Postby TomEC on June 20th, 2011, 1:27 pm

Abbreviations are great online but I'm a bit of a curmudgeon when I hear people talking that way. Yes, it's creeping into the spoken language. It's just ridiculous. Does it save any effort at all to say, for instance, OMG instead of the words they represent? Maybe I'm turning into a cranky old man. "You kids, get off my lawn!"
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” -Albert Einstein
TomEC

Postby sin on June 20th, 2011, 1:52 pm

wren wrote:
sin wrote:Lol..always a good stand by like a black dress.

yes, LOL is "classic"...you said it, sister! Btw, unless very careful, doesn't HaHa sound sarcastic in text much of the time? Not good for "tone in text" situations :cry: :oops:

Yes it is dear sister. It all depends on the content.

The Queen may be Evil... BUT I am WICKED and Wicked ALWAYS wins.

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby wren on June 20th, 2011, 1:57 pm

TomEC wrote:Abbreviations are great online but I'm a bit of a curmudgeon when I hear people talking that way. Yes, it's creeping into the spoken language. It's just ridiculous. Does it save any effort at all to say, for instance, OMG instead of the words they represent? Maybe I'm turning into a cranky old man. "You kids, get off my lawn!"

I totally agree with you, Thomas. I also don't find it appropriate on all online communication...short texts by phone, on forums or chat, and simple social network posts are fine. A long message written completely in text-talk anywhere makes the schoolmarm in me get fussy, especially when it's an adult doing the writing. To me, that means anyone who is college/career age and up! I also don't tolerate it from my children or their friends, because I stress that good spoken and written communication is a necessity to succeed in the business world. I want them to develop good habits now.
wren

PreviousNext

Return to Games, Quizzes, Fun Stuff