*POSSIBLE SPOILERS* Name Pronunciations/Meanings & Origins

Talk about the Argeneau family members and what makes them so real.

Re: *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* Name Pronunciations/Meanings & Origi

Postby VirtualValkyrie on June 13th, 2011, 6:43 am

ElectricFedora wrote:I wish I could see a full family tree with all of the newest and older additions on it.

Theres a more up to date tree now, with Drina and her family added on, but I know what you mean, I'd like a full family tree as well!
"Excellence is not a skill. Its an attitude."
VirtualValkyrie

Postby Denise on June 21st, 2011, 2:38 pm

But a full family tree might be considered a spoiler when certain characters haven't been introduced, yet. Remember the uproar when the publisher put Marguerite's completed family tree in VI, which was a MAJOR spoiler for the book?
Denise

Postby MysticFan on June 21st, 2011, 2:45 pm

Denise wrote:But a full family tree might be considered a spoiler when certain characters haven't been introduced, yet. Remember the uproar when the publisher put Marguerite's completed family tree in VI, which was a MAJOR spoiler for the book?

That is a very good point, Denise. I never thought about that. :?
"Life can't always be cheesecake."-Elvi Black

MysticFan

Postby orionsfaith on November 10th, 2011, 2:19 pm

Is there a printed list of name pronunciations that could be e-mailed around? That would be amazing. :? :D :geek:

ION: Who regulates audio book pronunciations?! Listening to Hungry For You and just about every name grates on my ears. I think Ar-ge-NO is technically right (though I prefer Ar-ge-NEW), and LOOCH-e-un may be right (though I prefer LOOSE-e-un) but it took me a minute to figure out who the heck "Lee" was (Leigh)......upon further research I found that it's either "Lee" or "Lay", so how do you spell "Lee-UH"?
Blah.
"You see? We get on famously...We could have been grand friends."
"Except for the part about me being an enforcer and you being a murderer."
"Yes. Well, no friendship is perfect."
orionsfaith

Postby wren on November 12th, 2011, 12:58 am

orionsfaith wrote:Is there a printed list of name pronunciations that could be e-mailed around? That would be amazing. :? :D :geek:

ION: Who regulates audio book pronunciations?! Listening to Hungry For You and just about every name grates on my ears. I think Ar-ge-NO is technically right (though I prefer Ar-ge-NEW), and LOOCH-e-un may be right (though I prefer LOOSE-e-un) but it took me a minute to figure out who the heck "Lee" was (Leigh)......upon further research I found that it's either "Lee" or "Lay", so how do you spell "Lee-UH"?
Blah.

I can't help with the audio book questions or pronunciations, but I can help with the others. Lynsay & her family do pronounce Lucian as Lou-Chee-en (which is the French pronunciation), although many of us pronounce it Lou-shee-en or Loo-shen. Lucern is pronounced with a soft /c/ sound, but Luc is pronounced like Luke. Argeneau is French and is pronounced /Ar-zha-no/ (say the middle syllable like Zsa Zsa Gabor's name, and the last syllable like NO...Lucern's fave word ;) ) Notte is Italtian meaning "night" and is pronounced /no-tay/

I can add pronunciations to my list on this thread, but currently there isn't a list that can be emailed of which I'm aware. I'll work on a spreadsheet and have Lynsay or Terri verify pronunciations. I need to update my names & meanings post on this thread, as I haven't added in the last few books yet. :)

Lee is one syllable and is pronounced with the l (as in lamp) + the ee (as in beet) = /lee/...so basically it sounds just the way it is spelled & it is used as a name for either gender. It is of Old English origin, and the meaning is "pasture or meadow" Leigh is usually a feminine spelling variation of the name Lee. Lea may be pronounced as /lee/ or/ leah/and used for either gender, though /lee/ is used more often for males, regardless of spelling, while /lee/ or /leah/ is common for females.

/Lee-uh/ or /Lee-ah/ are most commonly spelled as Leah. The accent is on the first syllable. The Biblical Leah is pronounced Lee-ah. This name has several variations in spelling, and can also be pronounced /Lay-ah/ Examples of variations: Leah (Biblical Hebrew), Leia (Biblical Greek), Lia (Biblical Latin), Leah (English, German), Léa (French), Lía (Galician), Lia (Italian, Portuguese) Leah is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning is "delicate; weary". In the Bible, Leah is Jacob's first wife, the mother of Dinah and six of Jacob's twelve sons. The name was revived by the Puritans. In Hawaiian mythology, Lea is the goddess of canoe makers. The fictional Princess Leia of "Star Wars" fame has made "Leia" familiar as a given name.
wren

Postby lisa on November 22nd, 2011, 7:09 pm

Cant wait til you turn yourself loose on the Band names in UVM! Pronunciation and meaning will be .... well, meaningful!
lisa

Postby lisa on December 21st, 2011, 10:15 am

I have tried to research the meaning of Zanipolo on line and I can only guess that it translates to John Paul? Giacinta is a form of Hyacinth, from mythology of a lily springing from the blood of a god (Apollo? maybe) and Raffeale is Rapheal ( angel) and Santos is a form of Saint. Im sure Wren can find more on the subject, but what is the name of Christians band, The Christian Saint JohnPaul of the Angelic Blood?
lisa

Previous

Return to Discuss The Characters