Contest #8 - Christmas contest

These are the contests specifically targeted toward frequent forum users.

Re: Contest #8 - Christmas contest

Postby Jewelz on December 26th, 2011, 7:54 pm

When I was 18yr old just out of high school. I worked at Blimpies sandwich shop. After closing I'd walk home because I didn't have a car. Of course it was dark and cold (late fall). I'd listen to my walkman headset while I walked home. It always helped pass the time.

While walking I could hear a dog barking. It got closer, and closer. Then came the growling. I glanced back to see this big Black snarling dog only a few feet behind me. Of course, it had to be big and black, I think it was a doberman. Not really sure. Talk about scare the **** out of me! I know my heart was racing. I swear I could feel it pounding, and all I wanted to do was run like hell! At one point, I thought I could feel the dogs warm breath on the back of my thighs.

The voice in my head kept saying don't look at it, keep walking slowly, and do not run. In addition, I was also sending silent prayers to God for help. It took a lot of restraint to keep from runnning. Difficult to keep a cool head. I know the dog followed me for about a block. It was the longest block I've ever walked in my life. After a block it backed down and left me alone. I know it was God and his little angels voice that kept me safe that night.

Love is like a butterfly, it goes where it please's, and please's where it goes. :-)
Jewelz

Postby Jewelz on December 26th, 2011, 9:00 pm

Okay, this next story is not my entry. The previous post is my contest entry. I just thought I'd share this creepy nightmare that I had last week with you all! At the time it was scary, but looking back now its hilarious! Enjoy... :D

In my dream I was in the forest near Idaho City. A Brown Bear was attacking me, and my friend Jennilee (from work) had a guy friend and his mother who lived close, and saved me from the Bear. So they took me to their home in Idaho City. Their house kinda looked like a medical facility, but not really. These people had decided to hold me against my will. They were in another room talking to this guy from the Organ Donor Society. They were planning to take my eye's, spleen, and kidney's while I was alive and awake. So they could sell them on the black market. They were definitely going to take my eye's first. I saw the tools they use to remove eye's, and I was out of there faster than you could spell escape! It was one of those running dreams for awhile, and then it changed to another dream. Of course it was work related, but I will not bore you with the rest of the dream. Most of the time I forget my dreams. I had to laugh about the whole spleen part! :roll:

Anyway, hope you all had a very Merry Christmas! Take care and be safe. 8-) {Hugs}

Love is like a butterfly, it goes where it please's, and please's where it goes. :-)
Jewelz

Postby susan60625 on December 27th, 2011, 1:10 am

Okay, I've already posted my entry and I still want to post this funny animal encounter that I had. Terri, do NOT count this as my entry into the contest.

After my parents retired, they spent their summers in a house on a lake in northern Wisconsin, not too far from Lake Superior. When visiting there, I saw many wild animals. Amongst them were deer crossing the road and a black bear who had discovered the barrel of bird seed my parents had kept on the back deck. Plus, one day, I looked out on the front lawn and saw a Bald Eagle on the grass, eating a freshly caught fish from the lake. These were normal occurences at their place. However, one incident was rather unusual and quite humorous. It was a warm night and when we went to bed, my parents locked the screen doors, but didn't close the heavy wooden inner doors. About two in the morning, I heard my father causing a ruckus and I went to check on it. Sitting there, on the kitchen counter, eating cereal right out of the box and a plum from a bowl on the counter, were two plump raccoons! Apparently, they had torn through the screen of the door, wandered in and helped themselves to the food in the kitchen! They had opened up most of the cabinets, but not the refrigerator, and had helped themselves to whatever struck their fancy. What they didn't want ended up on the floor! They were quite content and really didn't want to leave, but my father managed to chase them out of the house! Believe me when I say that they NEVER left the wooden inner doors open at night any more after than, no matter how warm the weather was. I guess we were lucky that it was two small raccoons and not a big black bear munching away in the kitchen!
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby wren on January 1st, 2012, 2:48 pm

This story was actually discussed on the forum at the time it happened, so you may find references to this tale in various threads. My forum friends that have known me awhile know of my Ophidiophobia – which is the fear and dislike of snakes, especially to an abnormal degree. Personally, I can't see where having a phobia would be to a normal degree, but that's how the definition was written. I really can't think of any other wild animals that have scared me, making me sure I might be bitten or that I might have a heart attack just because they are there. I don't even go through the "snake house" at the zoo, and I don't like seeing snakes in pictures or on television.

We have had two snakes get in the house in the last 11 years, and another two chose to sun themselves at different times on the road beside the mailbox. In addition, while my sister, known as Gypsy on this forum, lived with us, she had a pet garter snake living in my flowerbed in front of the porch. She went to the coast for a family visit, and told me about it just before she left in case I happened across it. I didn't go out on my front porch for a month, until she came back and made sure her pet snake was gone.
That's five snakes too many for me, and I've seen others in the neighborhood while out walking, but fortunately someone was always with me and the snakes weren't near my house. I won't walk by myself in my own neighborhood because I fear I'll run into snakes. Dear hubby caught the last one that got in the house in one of my Tupperware pitchers that I used to make Lemonade. We think it was a cottonmouth, since we have a small lake in our neighborhood and it is also very wooded out where we live, and it looked like that kind. My dear hubby said it was a baby, but I insisted he kill it anyway, though I didn't go outside to have proof of said baby snake execution. He was going to let it go, but what if it liked living indoors and wanted to come back inside? What are baby snakes called anyway...snakelings? In my opinion, a snake is a snake! Be they big or little, young or old, venomous or nonvenomous, good, bad, dead, alive, or fake...I DON'T LIKE ANY SNAKES! My resort to handling snakes it NOT to do so. That's has become dear hubby's job. Twenty-five years ago, my daddy warned him I had vicious moods and asked him if he was sure he wanted to enter into wedded bliss. (We just happily celebrated our anniversary last month!) In my previous single state of living, dear daddy did away with any snakes that happened to cross my path. My mood goes downhill rapidly when I encounter one. I would say it becomes hysterical and moves into being rather savage.

After the fiasco of having hubby catch and dispose of the "baby snake," I took out the Tupperware pitcher that my dear hubby had put in the dishwasher and threw it into the trash can. To me, it would forevermore be rubbish filled with yucky snake germs! Now, I normally wouldn't treat a valuable item in such a shabby way, but even though it was one of my favorite Tupperware pitchers, it had to go. It had been eternally defiled, and there was no redemption! Sin is a Tupperware consultant, and when she heard the tale, she purchased me a beautiful new pitcher for my birthday. It's a gallon size, in one of the new aqua colors that are so pretty. Sin made me feel great about throwing the old one away, even though Tupperware lasts forever and I disliked doing so! Normally, she would have read someone the riot act for disposing of Tupperware in such a manner, but she couldn't bear the idea of yucky snake germs either!

Since my dear hubby and I could not agree on the wisdom of disposing of the pitcher, I surveyed our family and friends. I found that all the ladies said the same thing...ewww, snake germs!!!! The men said, "Just throw it in the dishwasher...it'll be clean." Maybe so, but it's best not to mess with a woman whose Tupperware has been used as a snake trap! I did not believe that the dishwasher could sanitize it enough for me to ever use again, and I had another pitcher just like it. I didn't even need Immortal mind-reading skills because my intuition told me that my dear hubby would have washed both pitchers together, with a big grin and no guilt or remorse at all, so I wouldn't know in which he had caught the snake. I would then have had to throw both pitchers away, because I just can't abide the thought of snakes in my Tupperware or any other dishes. It was bad enough that the snake was in our house with our cat pawing it and trying to turn it into a "gift" for her staff!

Oh, there was a note attached to the birthday Tupperware pitcher that was addressed to my dear hubby from Sin. Written in big, bold letters it said, "DO NOT USE FOR CATCHING SNAKES!" My dear hubby chose to make a "no promises" statement, as he determined he needed something with a lid to catch the snake, and said he would grab whatever was handy if it happened again. His reasoning has something to do with me being NO HELP when I'm panicking around a snake. I pointed out that the cat was pawing at something that looked like it might be a lizard in need of rescue. I didn't panic until we realized it was a deadly serpent.To this day, he claims it was unnecessary to throw out what he deems was a perfectly good Tupperware pitcher, snake germs and all. However, though I miss the pitcher, my mind is at peace about the entire situation. As the song says, "I did it my way!" :)
wren

Postby grlnxtdr29 on January 1st, 2012, 4:38 pm

Wren, I can sympathise with you. While I have no fear of snakes, venamous or otherwise, I do Suffer from Arachniphobia. I Have since I was 5 years old and Had a Nightmare where I woke up to find my Nice, Warm, Comfy blanket was actually millions of spiders wrapping me up in a caccoon. My Mother said that was the First and LAST time she ever heard me scream like a Horror Queen. I Have tried to over come my fear of Spiders, and did almost. Then I got bit by a spider while sitting on the commode. It wasn't a poisenous spider, fortunately, but apparently I was allergic to that particular type, cause I got a welt on the back of my leg where it bit me. That was two weeks before I got Pregnant with my Daughter. Every once in a while that spot will still get a Leathery look to it and will Itch like Crazy, and my Arachniphobia came back wth a Vengence. No Matter how tiny the spider, to me it is HUGE, and MUST DIE!
grlnxtdr29

Postby Jewelz on January 1st, 2012, 7:13 pm

Wren, the way you feel about snakes is the way I feel about spiders! The first thing I thought when you said your huddy caught it in a tupperware pitcher, I thought eewww THROW IT AWAY! Bless sin for sending you a new one with a note to hubby. That's just hilarious!!! I recently had a bad dream about a snake. I think it was because Marty had showed me a picture of this HUGE snake online. So big I thought, what creatures has this snake been eating? I'm sure it could handle eating toddlers! Yuck! In my dream Marty had found that HUGE snake in our yard. I told him to get rid of it and call pest control. Next thing I know, all of our little dogs were in the back yard with it, along with my sisters dogs. So I flipped out and called them all in. All but one came except for little Lu Chin. Then I noticed the snake had a moving buldge in its body. I thought for sure it had to be Lu Chin. While Marty and his Mother sat and stared at me. I tried prying the snakes jaw open, so I could pull Lu Chin out. That was just a stupid way to approuch! If she was dead or alive that snake was not going to eat her! The snake bit me, then I remember asking Marty if the snake was poisonious. After being bitten, I thought it would be best the cut the snake open, or chop it in half to get Lu Chin out. I kept asking for knifes or a saw to cut it open. Of course, everyone just sat there watching me in shock. Thats all I recall of the dream. It was creepy. I alway remember the bad ones. Snakes are creepy! I'd have know problem killing one for you wren. But you have to promise to kill the spiders for me! :lol:

Jewelz

Postby sin on January 1st, 2012, 7:34 pm

I do recall telling FP that he could buy a pitcher from the dollar store to keep on hand for eww snake hunting..:-P. Could not let my middle sis be without her Tupperware pitcher :)

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby terri on January 12th, 2012, 2:35 pm

Hi All,

Good job on the stories Sin, Jewelz, Wren, Rockie, Susan and all added comments. What fun! I too will add an animal story to the mix

Wow some of you are really passionate about your dislike of snakes. I do understand your reaction to a highly poisonous snake like a cottonmouth. I too react negatively to certain animals but not snakes. We only have one poisonous snake here in Canada (massassauga rattler) so that might be why I don't mind them. As a matter of fact I used to work with snakes and turtles in at Murphy's Point Provincial Park near Ottawa. Yes I was one of THOSE!!! LOL... I used to catch and count the Black Rate snake which is indigenous in the area. (Pretty docile, harmless, nonpoisonous species that's good for the environment as it gets rid of the rodents.) That entire time that I caught and released them (and I caught some big ones over 5 feet), I wasn't bitten once. It was a great job. Unfortunately the Black rate snake is an endangered snake in Canada now as is the Massassauga rattler. (This is just for your information as many people don't realize...we had a camper kill one of the black rat snakes in the park that summer and they were assessing whether it was an intentional kill or not. I thought it was a $25,000 fine but I was wrong. It is now a $250,000 fine for intentionally killing an endangered species.)

True story: That summer we had a cottager call the park rangers to get rid of this 'darn snake'. We went to pick it up and the cottager was incensed because they thought the black rat snake was eating the eggs/hatchlings from a local bird nest. So we took it and it was big. It was obvious that the snake had just eaten something. So we put it in a clean plastic garbage can in the office and were going to release it in a few days once it had digested what was in it's stomach. A couple of days later the cottager calls the office and says he wants the snake released back in the area by his cottage. What the cottager finally figured out was that it wasn't the black rat snake that was eating the local bird's eggs. It was the squirrel that the snake had just eaten, hence the lump in the snake's abdomen. We put the snake back by the cottage and the cottager never called us to complain again.
(The grey and black squirrel is a common nest predator and often eats hatchlings and bird's eggs.)

The animals that I truly dislike are the invasive species that we have. Like the sac spider (the pale white/blond with a grey abdomen that you always see in the corners or your wall). If they bite you, and that's pretty hard for them to do as they have a hard time piercing our skin, their bite can cause necrosis. Also those European House Sparrows have become a real problem... birders hate them. They kill off many bluebirds and other local small birds by luring one of the parents away (the male usually) from the nest, killing the female that's on the eggs and then they nest on top of the babies. Vicious little critters... European starlings aren't much better.

Well that's my rant on non-native species. We'll post the winner shortly. Cheerio!

PS. Wren, If I was local to you I'd have no problem helping you out by coming over and removing a snake from your property. <G>

Terri
terri
Site Admin

Postby rockie on January 12th, 2012, 5:58 pm

terri wrote:Hi All,

Good job on the stories Sin, Jewelz, Wren, Rockie, Susan and all added comments. What fun! I too will add an animal story to the mix

Wow some of you are really passionate about your dislike of snakes. I do understand your reaction to a highly poisonous snake like a cottonmouth. I too react negatively to certain animals but not snakes. We only have one poisonous snake here in Canada (massassauga rattler) so that might be why I don't mind them. As a matter of fact I used to work with snakes and turtles in at Murphy's Point Provincial Park near Ottawa. Yes I was one of THOSE!!! LOL... I used to catch and count the Black Rate snake which is indigenous in the area. (Pretty docile, harmless, nonpoisonous species that's good for the environment as it gets rid of the rodents.) That entire time that I caught and released them (and I caught some big ones over 5 feet), I wasn't bitten once. It was a great job. Unfortunately the Black rate snake is an endangered snake in Canada now as is the Massassauga rattler. (This is just for your information as many people don't realize...we had a camper kill one of the black rat snakes in the park that summer and they were assessing whether it was an intentional kill or not. I thought it was a $25,000 fine but I was wrong. It is now a $250,000 fine for intentionally killing an endangered species.)

True story: That summer we had a cottager call the park rangers to get rid of this 'darn snake'. We went to pick it up and the cottager was incensed because they thought the black rat snake was eating the eggs/hatchlings from a local bird nest. So we took it and it was big. It was obvious that the snake had just eaten something. So we put it in a clean plastic garbage can in the office and were going to release it in a few days once it had digested what was in it's stomach. A couple of days later the cottager calls the office and says he wants the snake released back in the area by his cottage. What the cottager finally figured out was that it wasn't the black rat snake that was eating the local bird's eggs. It was the squirrel that the snake had just eaten, hence the lump in the snake's abdomen. We put the snake back by the cottage and the cottager never called us to complain again.
(The grey and black squirrel is a common nest predator and often eats hatchlings and bird's eggs.)

The animals that I truly dislike are the invasive species that we have. Like the sac spider (the pale white/blond with a grey abdomen that you always see in the corners or your wall). If they bite you, and that's pretty hard for them to do as they have a hard time piercing our skin, their bite can cause necrosis. Also those European House Sparrows have become a real problem... birders hate them. They kill off many bluebirds and other local small birds by luring one of the parents away (the male usually) from the nest, killing the female that's on the eggs and then they nest on top of the babies. Vicious little critters... European starlings aren't much better.

Well that's my rant on non-native species. We'll post the winner shortly. Cheerio!

PS. Wren, If I was local to you I'd have no problem helping you out by coming over and removing a snake from your property. <G>

Terri

Oh Gosh Terri,
I would have passed out cold! I hate snakes!!
AEA Sister♥☮☆♪
Sisterhood of the Traveling Fangs♥☮☆♪
Live
.♫
⋰**
⋱♫ ..Laugh
( ``✫•♫
`✫•.¸ )
¸. ✶♫....L♥ve
( ``✫•~
rockie

Postby Kathleen.B on January 12th, 2012, 10:19 pm

Hello, Where I live there isn't many wild animals or cool stories about animals, I live in London and its always really packed. My story is rather a humourous one -

It all started on last autumn(fall) in the morning around 6am. I was having trouble sleeping and decided to see what my cats were up too. The younger one a black and white kitten(looks like the cat on the felix food tins) aged 4 months at the time. Strolling in to my dining room i heard weird noise coming from the windowside. I mean strange throaty hissing noises, really creepy to hear when you see it coming from a ball of black and white fur :shock: . I thought she was stressed and started to stroke her back soothingly saying 'Whats wrong Monika? what's in the garden?'. She jumped from the windowside and sprinted to the back door and the noise increased with a second deeper noise coming from outside. I walked to the door cautiously didn't know what to expect and what I saw was the funniest scene in cat history. A big Ginger cat (i named him ging-y french accent), a dark tabby (jake) and a white cat with tabby spots on his face (Scarface - actually name Rio) puffed up on the other side of the glass :o what was funny was the ginger cat was inbetween 2 Squirrel's that looked like they were arguing over some walnuts i had left outside the night before for them :? . I must say when they saw me they broke up and ran from my garden but it looked like the ginger cat had broken up a fight between the squirrels and the two other cats where his deputy officers:lol:. My kitten of course wanted to join in but no one believed me when I did explain why i was laughing everytime someone mentioned Monika and the backgarden. :D :D
'Some people can never believe in themselves, until someone believes in them.' - Good Will Hunting
Kathleen.B

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Contests