The Series continues

Talk about the stories that got the Argeneaus where they are today.

Re: The Series continues

Postby terri on October 4th, 2012, 1:44 pm

Hi georrgyutss,

On this forum I think it's safe to assume that we're ALL fans of the Argeneaus. <G>

As for number of books in the series, there are actually 16 books in the series as well as two anthologies (so 18 stories so far) and still going strong. Good news?

Good to have you on the forum georrgyutss.

Terri
terri
Site Admin

Postby wren on October 4th, 2012, 5:13 pm

terri wrote:Wren and Sin... you ladies are funny. Remind me to have you two ladies back me up if I ever need it! <G>

Group hug!

Terri

Anytime, Terri...just call & we'll be there! Image Of course, we ancient Immortals may come across as grumpy sometimes Image and we may need to remember that newer Immortals may not know some of those things we've learned during our long forum life about the publishing world and its quirks. :roll: Guess it's our inner Lucian & Lucern...what else could it be? :lol: 8-)
wren

Postby sin on October 5th, 2012, 5:44 pm

wren wrote: Guess it's our inner Lucian & Lucern...what else could it be? :lol: 8-) [/b]
[/color]

Image Image

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby TomEC on October 6th, 2012, 1:02 pm

Well, I have to admit that my knowledge of what an author has to deal with when it comes to having a real publisher, as opposed to self-publishing, is rather limited. I wonder, does Lynsay at least get some input as to what the titles of her books should be? Can she make suggestions? Make a list of possible titles? I think it would suck if she had no say at all. I mean, isn't coming up with a good title part of good writing? I suppose the publisher, being a business and therefore about making money first and publishing the best books they can second, would pick a title they think would sell the best even if it is rather banal and unoriginal. I suppose I was rather naive and foolish to imagine that it would be any different from that. Someday I'll grow up.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby sin on October 6th, 2012, 1:06 pm

Tom, Lynsay has addressed this several times here. She suggests some but her editor and or publisher can and do make changes. The title she refused to budge on was TAV.

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby TomEC on October 6th, 2012, 1:20 pm

sin wrote:Tom, Lynsay has addressed this several times here. She suggests some but her editor and or publisher can and do make changes. The title she refused to budge on was TAV.

Thanks Sin. I wouldn't have budged on that one either. :)
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby wren on October 6th, 2012, 9:55 pm

Lynsay titled BMIYC as Once Bitten , which made more sense for the actual story. Avon changed the title because they wanted the word "Bite" in the first three Argeneau books they published. "Once Bitten" was used in the the blurb put on the back. The word "Vampire" was used in the next three books. The word "Hunter" was used in the next three, even though Lynsay didn't want the Rogue Hunters considered to be a separate part of the series. The only cover art she insisted be changed was for "The Renegade Hunter" because the model was so unlike Nicholas. The publisher did a new cover using a different model that was much better. Other than that, she makes suggestions, but like most authors, she does not have the final say on titles or cover art. That is the nature of publishing contracts in most genres, even for bestselling authors. The rare exceptions are Stephen King or J.K. Rowling, but only after their careers were well established. The first Harry Potter book has two names, because Scholastic wanted the title to be Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone instead of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, which is how is was titled originally and published in the UK. Since her career was just beginning, J.K. Rowling allowed it. When the Harry Potter series became a phenomenon, J.K. Rowling was able to negotiate her contract to title the books herself. Publishers want authors to write, and that is the contract they negotiate. They hire others for marketing and artwork and from many other fields related to producing a finished book. Publishing is a business. As long as they are paying my fave authors to write stories I enjoy, and are not taking advantage of them (writers have to make a living) then I can live with whatever titles & artwork they choose. Reputable publishers will get input from their authors. When it's been really important to Lynsay, she spoke up and they made the changes needed. That's what matters to me! :)
Last edited by wren on October 7th, 2012, 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
wren

Postby TomEC on October 6th, 2012, 11:14 pm

Thanks Wren,

That was informative. I personally think that the author is in the best position to name a book but then if a publisher was willing to pay me, and I was thus allowed to write books for a living, I guess wouldn't complain too loudly about it.

wren wrote:As long as they are paying my gave authors to write stories I enjoy, and are not taking advantage of them (writers have to make a living) then I can live with whatever titles & artwork they choose.

I have to agree with you on that one. We get the books we love and that's what counts. :D

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
TomEC

Postby Denise on October 7th, 2012, 12:01 am

georrgyutss wrote:This has got to be one of my all time favorite series. Ive just found out that theres an 8th book, so Im engrosed in that. It jumped to the top of my to-read list

Any other fans out there?

Which series are you referring to, georrgyutss? Lynsay's Argeneau series has 19 books to date, counting the two shorts, so I don't think that's what you're talking about. Is it possible you were meaning to post in the "What we're reading thread, referring to something there?

Welcome to the forum. Always good to have new... (well, I was going to say "faces" but I guess that doesn't work.) ... participants. That works.
Denise

Postby wren on October 7th, 2012, 1:40 am

TomEC wrote:Thanks Wren, That was informative.

You're very welcome! :)

TomEC wrote:"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

When it comes right down to it concerning titles...so true!! :D

Lynsay doesn't think she is any good at coming up with titles, but I've always liked any she chose herself better. Some of the earlier book titles chosen by the publisher are plays on film titles, etc., except for possibly A Quick Bite? (A Bite To Remember...An Affair To Remember, Bite Me If You Can...Catch Me If You Can (makes sense when you apply it to Morgan), The Accidental Vampire...The Accidental Tourist (Lynsay did choose this title herself, and it was the best for the books, but it still fits the "title theme" the publisher had going :lol:), Vampires Are Forever...Diamonds Are Forever, Vampire, Interrupted...Girl, Interrupted (see a pattern here...most of them make good titles for the books, but they're almost all a play on another title ;) )
wren

PreviousNext

Return to Discuss the Series