What we're reading

Re: What we're reading

Postby wren on June 15th, 2014, 1:58 pm

Just finished several fun cozy mysteries, and Air Bound by Christine Feehan - her latest Sea Haven novel, which was excellent as always! :)
wren

Postby Denise on February 19th, 2015, 11:14 pm

I have been glomming all the audiobooks I can get my hands on. I've been listening to new to me books and old favorites from Jude Deveraux, Katie MacAlister, Johanna Lindsey, Stephanie Laurens, Susan Mallery, Jill Shalvis, Jennifer Crusie, Fern Michaels, Rachel Gibson, Susan Elizabeth Phillips... basically if the library has it and it is classified "Romance", and it's not mostly chick lit disguised as romance, I've been listening to it. Found some authors I really enjoy and some I'm not crazy about, but it's been fun. And of course I re-listened to all of the Argeneaus!
Last edited by Denise on February 22nd, 2015, 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denise

Postby MysticFan on February 20th, 2015, 1:03 am

I recently finished J.R. Ward's Fallen Angel series. I liked it ok, it's a bit darker, and has more profanity than I care to read, but like any other book that has bad language or whatever, I just edit and alter it in my head to fit me. Lol.
"Life can't always be cheesecake."-Elvi Black

MysticFan

Postby Kath on February 20th, 2015, 2:18 am

Kath wrote:I've been reading Keri Arthur's Dark Angels series and Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series.

Finally, got my hands on the series finale for Keri Arthur's Dark Angels series but need to review the 1st 6 to remind myself what's was going on -- it was such a long a wait for the last one. And I've got the next few in the Dresden files in my TBR pile. But right now I'm reading a re-issue of one of Lynsay's historicals: Sweet Revenge. Just started that today and I'm already hooked. It's looking to be a, as usual, great read from our favorite author. And, of course, looking forward to getting my hands on the next Argeneaus coming out soon. Guess the others will just have to wait a bit longer... ;)
Kath

Postby TomEC on February 27th, 2015, 1:42 pm

Sometimes when I look at this particular thread, I think I should post to it but then I’m undone by how much I would want to say. I’m sure everybody here reads a lot of books, but how do you decide which ones to talk about? I’ve read a gazillion books since last time I posted anything here. I try to pace myself with both fiction and nonfiction. As an aspiring writer myself, I feel like I need to keep abreast of both. You just can’t know too much.

I’ve certainly had a glut of new books from series I’m reading about to come out. I’m going to have a lot to read for the next while. It aggravates me that I won’t be able to start Lynsay’s new book until Sunday. I’m almost there.

One wonderful discovery I made, over the past year, was the Bloody Jack books by L. A. Meyer, a terrific historic YA series. Set during the time of the Napoleonic wars, they follow the adventures of Jacky Faber a.k.a. Mary Faber, a London street urchin who decided to improve her life by disguising herself and in signing as a ship’s boy on the HMS Dolphin which was heading out to hunt pirates. The first book is particularly delightful as the poor girl works hard to learn everything she can and measure up while going through puberty, which she knows nothing about, and trying desperately to keep her secret. Of course she falls in love and in the eleven books that follow, as she has one globetrotting adventure after another, she and her beloved Jamie try to find each other again. I devoured all twelve books and would recommend them to anyone.

Another book I enjoyed recently was Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed. This was an odd choice for me. I don’t usually buy books that have already been made into movies. Still, the idea of someone just setting off on 1100 mile hike alone as therapy was too irresistible. It’s a sort of thing I might’ve done if I’d had the guts. Though I have to add a caveat: never do that alone. I enjoyed it immensely.
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby sin on February 27th, 2015, 9:50 pm

In the past few days I have read: Fashionable Dead in Diapers by Robyn Peterman. Book 4 in the Hot Dammed Series. Be warned there is explicit language. NOt intended for under 21 or as Robyn says her kids can not read them until they are 30. lol

Need Me book 3 in the Obsession series By Cynthia Eden.

and of Course The Immortal Who Loved ME by our own Lynsay.

Angel/Hiss books 13 * 14 of the Bayou Heat series by Alexandra Ivy and Laura Wright

NOt sure if I want to start on Christine Feehan's Viper's Game or Alexandra Ivy's Blood Assassin

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby grlnxtdr29 on February 28th, 2015, 9:52 am

Sin, I started reading the Bayou heat books last year, but can't remember where I left off. Could you send me the list of books in order?
grlnxtdr29

Postby sin on February 28th, 2015, 10:07 am

yup :)

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby Denise on March 7th, 2015, 1:23 am

Finally! The last book of the Lynn Kurland "Nine Kingdoms" book came out. Read it right after TIWLM. Now I get to go back and re-read the whole series so I can get them straight in my head. I hate having to wait on series books because I am horribly impatient, especially with a series I loved so much. Unfortunately, very few of Lynn's books are out in audio so I have to find time to actually read, difficult to do at this stage.

Have been rediscovering another favorite author through audiobooks, Jude Deveraux. I had forgotten how much I like her books. And re-reading/listening to Katie MacAlister's books. Loving these audiobooks, but it is frustrating when you get a bad narrator.
Denise

Postby Denise on March 8th, 2015, 12:28 am

Okay, just finished reading/listening to a new one to me called "The Rosie Project" by Graem Simsion. It was interesting as it was written from the perspective of a man with Aspergers, but I really enjoyed it! I suggest it as reading to help you understand how they process things. Very interesting.
Denise

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion