***Runaway Vampire - 2/23/16*** Comment only if you've read

Talk about the stories that got the Argeneaus where they are today.

***Runaway Vampire - 2/23/16*** Comment only if you've read

Postby susan60625 on February 23rd, 2016, 10:27 am

Well, here is the comment page for Runaway Vampire. Remember this page will contain spoilers, so only continue on after you've read the book.

My book was delivered this morning at 8:30, right to my door! The delivery guy was pretty smart, because he was all the way back to the elevator before I realized what had happened. I hope my scream didn't wake the neighbors!!! :oops: Unfortunately, I have a book that has to be back to the library by Saturday that I have to finish before I can start RV, but then all bets are off! See you then!
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Re: ***Runaway Vampire - 2/23/16*** Comment only if you've r

Postby orionsfaith on February 25th, 2016, 12:25 am

LOVED IT OF COURSE!
But the ending bothered me....Green Giant "GG"'s mortal-turned mom got to tell him...Stefano's mother got to tell him and eventhough they may have been minors when their mothers were turned, I didn't like how...easy it was for Mary to give up BOTH her kids! As if them being adopted made it easier...I found it weird to begin with that she kept referring to them without even using their names till the end.

I get the idea and premise behind it, we've already got a ton of 2ndary characters, but still....I've already made my stance on only turning one in a lifetime clear but now I've a 2nd issue w/ Lucian and these outdated laws. KILLING her just for telling her daughter? That's not a killable offense! Wiping the daughters mind and banishing Mary and Dante to another part of the world for 100 years, totally feasible, but straight up axing her? sheesh....especially when she's a new turn and having to deal with so much...b/c apparently her kids just can't be trusted, off the bat....

But any who, I always count us lucky that we never seem to lose any main characters to death so I'll just try to chalk this up to 2ndary character deaths, in a way....

So much more I want to talk about and discuss; knowing that a new species may get thrown into the mix is making this all very intriguing! I gotta apologize to Lynsay for every doubting that a new storyline could ever be as interesting as the Leonius one. Leo's death was just so quick and final (eventhough I don't remember them saying anything about ALL of his sons being dealt with....) I didn't get a chance to grieve the loss of his arc. Well I'm totally over that!

While I don't believe Tomasso's gonna get killed off, I'm way more interested to know what kind of mental state he'll be in after coming out of what sounds like an experimental hell.

I'm guessing the Immortals will team up with the new species to take down the evil doc. And perhaps the doc is....an Edentate/No-Fanger? Doesn't seem likely b/c they would know how immortals are made.... I dunno, but I'm excited!!!!!!!!!!!
"You see? We get on famously...We could have been grand friends."
"Except for the part about me being an enforcer and you being a murderer."
"Yes. Well, no friendship is perfect."
orionsfaith

Postby susan60625 on March 3rd, 2016, 2:01 pm

Well, I finished the book a couple of days ago and have let it stew in my mind. I think I can now put my thoughts down.

First, I don’t know if Lucian would have actually killed Mary. Since Mary didn’t say anything to her daughter, it was easy for him to be the Big-Bad-Baddie without lifting a finger! He has shown in recent books that he can be rather “inventive” when doling out Immortal punishments.

I disagree with Orionsfaith about how easy it was for Mary to give up her kids. I think I was more surprised by the lack of grief Mary’s daughter displayed. She spoke of her mother’s death without a hitch in her voice or a tear being shed. And putting off the memorial service for over a month? Something was off there and I think that surprised Mary enough to prevent her from saying anything.

And bringing up GG and Stephano doesn’t work for me. Both were children who lived in the home with the immortals. There would have been no way to keep the information from them, especially when they would have to move every ten years or so. Plus, as we saw with Sherri in Basil’s story, if a mortal is around immortals long enough they develop an “immunity” to the mind control.

I found it very interesting to find out the birth year of the twins. 1906. That was the year both of my grandparents (mom’s side) were born. They could have been my grandparents! Yikes! :shock:

I have to applaud Lynsay on taking a subject that she has already made humorous in one of the earlier books and finding a way to twist it, yet again, to make it hysterical all over again. The condoms! I have a new favorite line from all the books. “Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice.”

I could have smacked Bricker! After feeling the teasing first-hand after meeting Holly, you’d have thought that he would have learned not to tease other people who have just found their lifemates!

I have to admit that I am intrigued about this new development. I’m worried about Tomasso. I’m confused, though. I’m trying to remember. Back in Jo and Nicholas’s book, did they kill Leonius’s son, Ernie? Or is it just that Lynsay likes that name for bad guys?

I have to admit, this book brought back a lot of memories from The Accidental Vampire; an older woman having to get used to being the lifemate of a “seemingly” younger man, just like Mabel with DJ, a woman who had been told that she could not have more children being healed by the nanos. I almost felt, after the RV accident, when they described Dante hanging over Mary that she was going to be another “accidental” vampire.

All in all, I loved the book, Lynsay. I really can’t wait for the next one!
susan60625

Postby TomEC on March 3rd, 2016, 4:21 pm

Well I finally finished it a few days ago but have had to wait until I had time to put my thoughts down.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book. It’s filled with elements that I always relish, like an older protagonist, Mary. She’s 62, ten years older than I am. I always enjoy that since getting turned would mean much more to someone like that than it would to a 20-something, at least at the time. I savor things like that.

I also enjoy the journey when someone is turned, unexpectedly for her, and then gets to give her new immortal body a shakedown. Those are especially fun and I appreciate it because it doesn’t always happen in this Lynsay’s books because the emphasis is on the romance not the acquisition of superpowers.

The concept of marriage has been taking a bit of a beating in the last two books. We’ve had a good long look at two different types of dysfunctional marriages. I found myself respecting Mary more for taking responsibility for her part in the disaster that was the first phase of her marriage. Guys can be scum and it would’ve been so easy to put all the blame on Joe and leave it at that. I appreciated the fact that Lynsay added some moral complexity to the situation and gave the two of them some peace for the latter half of the relationship.

I don’t think there is any way that Marguerite could be given any credit for this matchup.

I enjoyed seeing a more talkative side of Dante, a man who usually barely speaks in complete sentences. The past appearances by him and his brother in the books left little doubt as to their character. I look forward to Tomasso's story, as I’m sure that he will both be rescued and also find his life mate. That seems appropriate. I hope Mary gets a chance to prove her metal further in the next one since she seems like a bit of a badass when her back is up.

I understand orionsfaith’s feeling that they may be a little too ready to apply the death penalty in situations where people want to share knowledge of immortals with family members, but at the same time I can understand the reason for such draconian laws. If you set a bad precedent now, in the age of the Internet, how easy would it be to keep their secret. It seems very harsh, but I get it.

I think Carol deserved better than to end up stuck with someone like Dave. Maybe in a future book Dave could accidentally fall into a wood chipper and Carol might turn out to be somebody’s lifemate. Just a thought.

I think Mary’s daughter must’ve been mind-controlled. Perhaps they thought it a kindness to blunt her grief.

Another good one Lynsay. As usual, I enjoyed the ride very much and I’m especially looking forward to the next one. I wonder what sort of life mate Tomasso will find in Venezuela. I want you to know, as well, that your books inspire my own writing and have pushed it in directions it probably wouldn’t have gone otherwise. You’ve shown me how much joy can be woven into a story simply by highlighting the simple things in life, a quiet moment in the kitchen, shopping, tending flowers, or just hanging around with good friends. That’s kind of what it feels like when I read one of your books, like I’m spending time with good friends. I just hope you get a chance to read this, which I’m not sure is a certainty the way things have been going on the forum lately. I really miss the days when this forum was jumping with activity. I guess I’m as much to blame as anyone for its current neglected state. Susan deserves some sort of metal for her heroic efforts to keep things happening here. I salute you Susan!
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby Denise on March 3rd, 2016, 11:31 pm

I, too, wonder if Lucian messed with Mary's daughter's brain a little to make her mother's "death" less traumatic?

I like how Mary and her husband worked on their marriage, didn't just give up on it.

Still have to do my second read-through.
Denise

Postby butterfly121573 on March 19th, 2016, 4:33 am

Ok sorry I didn't read it but did get it on audio and just finished it. I really liked it, it was a great book. My issue is Russell and Frances.....did I miss that story somewhere? I would REALLY like to get the deets on them :D
butterfly121573

Postby wren on May 14th, 2016, 7:15 am

Denise wrote:I, too, wonder if Lucian messed with Mary's daughter's brain a little to make her mother's "death" less traumatic?

I like how Mary and her husband worked on their marriage, didn't just give up on it.

Still have to do my second read-through.

I know the Immortals helped Dani's & Stephanie's parents with their grief (I think it's mentioned in Harper's & Drina's story, but I don't have my book handy) so it's very possible that Lucian helped Mary's daughter in the same way. I think the Immortals try to give the grieving family members some closure & a feeling of peace when they can, since the new turns cannot tell them they're still alive.
wren

Postby wren on May 14th, 2016, 8:35 am

In REN, Nicholas captured Ernie & Dee when he rescued & turned Jo because of her injury due to Dee shooting her. Lucian transported them to the council for judgment. I think Dee's mind was wiped in a later book (possibly it tells us in Armand's story), and she was given a backstory of being the only survivor in her family, and returned to mortal life. I don't remember if we were ever told if Ernie was actually terminated. Also in REN, it is mentioned that Leonius is laying low in South America. I find that interesting since that is where Tommaso is taken. We don't know what happened to Leo's mentor, Abby. Is he involved with the evil doc? Someone in the group capturing Immortals must know something about the differences between Immortals, Edentates, and No Fangers, because the Immortals are referred to as Fangers at the end of Dante's book.

Besides the possibility of Werewolves, which have been mentioned in the Argeneau books (starting with AQB, when Greg is trying to convince the Father that Lissianna only believes she is a 200yo vampire like some people have lycanthropy), we could have shapeshifters such as the ones in the anthology stories (iirc, an evil doc or scientist was involved in their transformations), or it could be a spin-off series about teens/young adults like Stephanie who have special powers beyond the enhanced abilities of the regular Immortals. Is the evil doc & his cohorts experimenting with the various nanos from the Immortals, Edentates, and No Fangers? Is someone from Bastian's research lab involved? Has Abby created a Leonius III to carry on & work with these doctors? Hmmm...I need to find my paperbacks & see which books are in ebook format so I can better contribute to the discussion! :D
wren

Postby susan60625 on May 14th, 2016, 11:36 am

Wren, don't forget that Leonius was taken care of in Basha & Marcus's book, Vampire Most Wanted. Of course, there can still be some of his offspring down in South America that we don't know about.
susan60625

Postby wren on May 16th, 2016, 8:02 am

susan60625 wrote:Wren, don't forget that Leonius was taken care of in Basha & Marcus's book, Vampire Most Wanted. Of course, there can still be some of his offspring down in South America that we don't know about.

Sue, I thought Basha (with Marcus at her side) beheaded Leonius II at the end of Sherry & Basil's book & that it only mentioned him having a couple of his sons with him. I don't remember reading anything about Abby after Basha's story. Refresh my memory, please.
wren

Next

Return to Discuss the Series