***Immortal Unchained 3/28/17*** Do Not Comment Unless Read

Talk about the stories that got the Argeneaus where they are today.

***Immortal Unchained 3/28/17*** Do Not Comment Unless Read

Postby susan60625 on March 30th, 2017, 8:59 am

Here is the thread to discuss the newest Argeneau book! I haven't read it yet, but it is here, waiting for me! So, you won't be seeing me on this thread again for a little while. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's thoughts.
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Re: ***Immortal Unchained 3/28/17*** Do Not Comment Unless R

Postby TomEC on April 3rd, 2017, 1:45 pm

Well, I really enjoyed this one, it represents a whole new direction to explore in this series. Lynsay has set up a whole pile of book possibilities. I’ll be interested to see where she takes things from here. :)

I have to admit that one thing kind of cast a shadow over me the entire time I was reading the book. :? Near the beginning, what Dressler said to Sarita strongly suggested that the whole reason he set up his little experiment with her and Domitian was to find out how he could turn himself. This troubled me, since I had been under the impression that all that took was for a vein to be opened up wide enough so the nanos couldn’t escape before they were carried out. Yet if this were the case, "El Doctor" would have to be something less than a genius, evil or otherwise, to a fail to figure that out, considering what he already knew. This left me petrified that some trick would be introduced, that hadn’t been mentioned before, that might make turning more complicated. My favorite book in the series remains “The Accidental Vampire” and I didn’t want any twist to be introduced that might make Elvi’s turning less likely, or even impossible. I know Lynsay wouldn’t do anything like that on purpose, but when books multiply mistakes can happen. I just didn’t want that particular mistake to happen. I’m glad that it didn’t turn out to be the case, though I’m still left wondering how no one questioned the notion that Dressler didn’t know how to turn himself. He would’ve had to have been a moron, or perhaps a genius who outsmarted himself. I’ll go with that last one.

Speaking of mistakes, I don’t think there are any Tigers living in the jungles of South America. They are native to Asia and are only found in captivity elsewhere. I know that Jaguars are often called “el tigre” down there, there’s even a town in Venezuela by that name, but she listed Tigers and Jaguars as separate things. If Tigers were somehow an invasive species in South America, like Burmese pythons in the Everglades, I suspect we would’ve heard about it. I’ll just call it a slip of the typewriter and leave it at that. No big deal. 8-)

Anyway, I don't want anyone to think I'm being super negative or anything. It really is a very enjoyable book filled with all kinds of intriguing possibilities for the future. I’m looking forward to the next one. :D
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby sin on April 3rd, 2017, 10:22 pm

I enjoyed the book especially towards the end. (yeah yeah I am partial to my main immortal) Give me a good BC man any day. And Dom is right behind Victor. o one can usurp Lucian form number 1.
I have a few questions but wanted to reread before asking. Gene splicing is done everywhere. Does not have to be country or content specific It was good to see some of the past favorites. It was funny how Sarita referred to Victor and the others as Biker 1,2,3 too funny Am wondering if thee will be an offset series with the hybrids or if they will at times be incorporated into the series.

Would be interesting to see them working with the enforcers. And yes I want to know concerning Santo: did they find his hand before they left the island, did it grow back. (yes I do know it was mentioned that they could not find it when they freed him)

Dressle is a royal pain. Yes he is sicker than Leo was in my opinion and I do hope he is caught and staked and baked verra soon.

For some reason Davies seems so familiar.

Will post more after my reread.

~~~~~~Immortals or Bust~~~~~~
sin

Postby TomEC on April 4th, 2017, 3:48 pm

This Dr. Dressler is definitely one of the worst villains Lynday has come up with yet. Clearly you would have to be a genius to be so far ahead of the rest of the world in genetic engineering. I thought the scene where they found the failed embryos in the cupboard was both chilling and yet did a wonderful job of showing the kind of psychopathic evil they were dealing with.

I spent a good part of the early book frustrated with the idea that "el Doctor," the fastest syringe in the west, seemed to be able to get the drop on so many experienced immortals. Eventually, even before the big reveal, I recalled that he was supposed to have some genetically engineered creatures on the island and figured that must be his secret weapon. Now that he’s on the run, he doesn’t have that to fall back on, but I assume the evil doctor will have other surprises.

Sarita is a cool character. I hope we see more of her and Domitian in future books.

Another interesting thing about this story is how timely it is. It isn’t just a variation on “The Island of Doctor Moreau.” If you’ve heard anything about CRISPR technology, (stands for Clustered Regularly Interspaced Short Palindromic Repeats) you might be aware that we’re about five years in to a revolution that might change the world more than any other technological revolution short of Ray Kurzweil’s Singularity, if that ever turns out to be a thing. It basically means that genetic engineering has become a hundred times cheaper and more precise than ever before and they’re just getting started. It’s a technology that has the potential to be incredibly beneficial (possible cure for genetic diseases and cancer) as well as having some chilling downsides (examples include a genetically locked in class system as well as more and nastier biological weapons). Maybe it doesn’t mean that we’ll end up with bird-men, there may be some physics issues with that, at least the flying part, but the world might look very different in thirty years. Time will tell if that’s a good thing.

Anyway, after twenty-five books, the series has taken an intriguing turn. Nice going Lynsay!
“The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” -Victor Hugo
TomEC

Postby rockie on May 1st, 2017, 4:09 pm

I loved the book! I really liked Sarita and Domitian. I really disliked Dr. Dressler.. from what i gathered from the book Dressler wanted to know if it hurt to be turned. Not how.. Davie's told him after he tortured him how to be turned, and Dressler just wanted see how long a persons body could be detached from its other half to reattach itself..
I don't think Lynsay meant that Dressler couldnt accidentally turn him self. His expereiment with Sarita and Domitian was to see if Sarita was in a S**t ton of pain (pardon my french)
I hope we see more from the others that were saved and the other creatures! I hope they will be able to live some what normal lives?
but we shall see
AEA Sister♥☮☆♪
Sisterhood of the Traveling Fangs♥☮☆♪
Live
.♫
⋰**
⋱♫ ..Laugh
( ``✫•♫
`✫•.¸ )
¸. ✶♫....L♥ve
( ``✫•~
rockie

Postby susan60625 on August 15th, 2017, 3:37 pm

I just realized that I hadn't reviewed this book yet. :o :shock:

I love Sarita and Domitian! They are a great couple. I'm hoping that sometime in the future, Domitian and Alex Valens (Martine's daughter-in-law) can get together on a new restaurant. ;)

I hope they can catch Dr. Dressler! That man doesn't deserve to live! :evil:

I'd really like to see Thorne get involved with the Hunters.

Sarita's abuela makes me laugh. Wants grandbabies, but is wearing multiple crosses now!
"It's staked and baked, Jo. We're not pork chops." T. Argeneau :D
"Ohhhh, glow in the dark. Good choice." D. Notte
:D
AEA Sister-Member of: SASSy Argeneauts & YYI Club
susan60625

Postby Denise on November 17th, 2017, 5:28 pm

I'm going to have to re-read the last few. Details and plots, new people, etc., are escaping my memory quickly. I use an text to speech reader, now, and I find things slip my mind faster when I listen than when I read.
Denise

Return to Discuss the Series